Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 19, 2018, 09:48:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: Jazz  (Read 1248 times)
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2008, 09:46:10 AM »

I imagine I'm one of the few who will see it and understand the meaning.

I'm a fan of Sun Ra as well, and have a wonderful T-shirt a friend designed to commemorate the great one's passing to another galaxy,

« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 09:48:32 AM by Dzimas » Logged
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2008, 06:39:32 AM »

I know I'm talking into an echo chamber, but have been pleased as punch with the beautiful Miles Davis box sets that have come out in recent years.  The Miles Davis/Gil Evans set has to be the high point,

beautifully packaged and wonderfully packed with alternate takes, rehearsal sequences, and even studio discussions make this a collector's item to be treasured for years to come.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2008, 09:11:57 PM »

I know I'm talking into an echo chamber, but have been pleased as punch with the beautiful Miles Davis box sets that have come out in recent years.  The Miles Davis/Gil Evans set has to be the high point,

beautifully packaged and wonderfully packed with alternate takes, rehearsal sequences, and even studio discussions make this a collector's item to be treasured for years to come.

I like Gil Evans even more than Miles Davis.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2008, 03:47:47 PM »

Nice to see someone else in here, maddy.  I've been turned onto Argentine jazz as of recent with the Buenos Aires version of Canonball Adderley,  Chivo Borraro.  You have to love someone who comes up with "Blues para un Cosmonauta" for an album title.

The music is from the 60s and is great fun to listen to.  It is put out on the "whatmusic" label,

http://whatmusic.com/

which has some pretty hip stuff from South America, including some killer bossa nova from Brazil.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 03:58:33 PM by Dzimas » Logged
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2008, 11:00:26 AM »

You might be interested in this as well, not technically jazz by our technique; it is however the blending of multicultural, including Rap as a complete culture introduced into Istanbul where I guarantee you that you won't understand a word of the Rap but will recognize that it absolutely is
without a doubt the real thing. This much too short film intends to show you as many eclectic forms now in existence where not only does East meet West but East is West and West is East ;with some  very pithy comments by local intellectuals and visiting musicians that the West is not something that ends in L.A. because the Bush administration said so,etc.

http://www.sundancechannel.com/schedule/

http://www.sundancechannel.com/films/500320105   

CROSSING THE BRIDGE: THE SOUND OF ISTANBUL

Filmmaker Fatih Akin (HEAD-ON) and Alexander Hacke, of the avant-garde German band Einsturzende Neubauten, conduct a magical musical tour of one of the world's great cities. Uniquely situated at the crossroads of Europe and Asia, Istanbul is home to sounds that mix cultures, religions and exotic musical instrumentation. Akin and Hacke sample everything from Turkish rap and Kurdish dirges to experimental music and street songs, and finish with two electrifying performances by Turkish musical legends Orhan Gencebay and Sezen Aksu.

http://www.crossingthebridge.de/

There's a clip and where to buy dvd

I haven't the faintest idea when this will show again included in schedule. I hope soon. They probably will go by comments/by people who caught this much of it.
bodiddley
Superhero Member

Bring it to Jerome

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2017, 08:13:56 AM »

Nice to see someone else in here, maddy.  I've been turned onto Argentine jazz as of recent with the Buenos Aires version of Canonball Adderley,  Chivo Borraro.  You have to love someone who comes up with "Blues para un Cosmonauta" for an album title.

I thought there were some new Jazz posts.
But since I hadn't read this entry from 2008, it's pretty much just that.

Never heard of Chivo Borraro.
Looks promising.

Cannonball himself did some great So. American jazz, especially the song The Happy People.

There were a brief fad of space-related jazz in the late 50's and early 60's.  Sun Ra built a career on it.  But also Shorty Rogers' Martians Come Back! from 1955.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: