Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 50

Author Topic: Movies  (Read 43011 times)

barton

Re: Movies
« Reply #135 on: January 07, 2020, 12:43:32 PM »

Thanks, I plan to read The Real Lolita, and maybe reread the novel.

And this is worth breaking through a paywall for:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/people-are-seeing-cats-while-high-out-of-their-minds-these-are-their-stories/2020/01/05/d0ebfb3a-2beb-11ea-bcb3-ac6482c4a92f_story.html

This promises to be my favorite news story of 2020, unless a pretty powerful contender manages to usurp it in the next 11 months, 24 days. 

oilcan

« Reply #136 on: February 05, 2020, 09:04:24 PM »

Farewell Kirk Douglas.  First sighted by this film fan impaled on a hay bailer in the mid sixties.   He was,  that is.   I was sitting in a comfortable chair.   Watching The List of Adrian Messenger. 

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 05, 2020, 10:40:39 PM »

One of my heroes died today, Mr Kirk Douglas. He attended the same acting school that I attended, The American Academy of Dramatic Arts. Lauren Bacall, who attended the AADA with Kirk helped him to get his big break. Spartacus is my favorite movie. Rest in Peace Mr Douglas, you live forever in your work.

Salute,

Tony V.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 05, 2020, 10:50:54 PM »

Ace in the Hole is great.  Kirk's best imo
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

oilcan

« Reply #139 on: February 11, 2020, 12:40:34 PM »

Just moving the Parasite Won Lady Wakasa Would Be Happy chat out of Trump Admin and over here, where it belongs. 

I have seen neither Parasite nor Marriage Story, nor Judy, but already am convinced that Laura Dern deserved her win in MS.  She was so outstanding in Big Little Lies, as the sympathetic neurotic bitch, that I've come to assume there is little she cannot do. 

The main rumble I'm hearing from film buffs is that Hollywood will lay laurels on an Asian film, but it won't actually recognize Asian actors.  I'm not sure that's racist so much as simple lack of name recognition (which, sadly, is sometimes paired with difficulty of face recognition) 

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 11, 2020, 01:08:10 PM »

Just moving the Parasite Won Lady Wakasa Would Be Happy chat out of Trump Admin and over here, where it belongs. 

I have seen neither Parasite nor Marriage Story, nor Judy, but already am convinced that Laura Dern deserved her win in MS.  She was so outstanding in Big Little Lies, as the sympathetic neurotic bitch, that I've come to assume there is little she cannot do. 

The main rumble I'm hearing from film buffs is that Hollywood will lay laurels on an Asian film, but it won't actually recognize Asian actors.  I'm not sure that's racist so much as simple lack of name recognition (which, sadly, is sometimes paired with difficulty of face recognition)
I have seen Marriage Story and without judging it comparatively to performances I have not seen - actually, will not see: I have 0 interest in the movie Joker or performances by Squnty McPigface - Driver and ScarJo would have been deserving of an award. First Noah B movie I have watched all the way through.
There was not a needy person among them, for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the proceeds of what was sold and laid it at the apostles' feet, and distribution was made to each as any had need.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 11, 2020, 10:25:20 PM »

Seems like a fairly weak year.   I was much underwhelmed by Once Upon a Time.   And admittedly haven't seen a fair amount.  But I'm not interested in Joker or Parasite. And don't think Marriage Story or Jo Jo Hitler are going to make a major difference,  though plan to see them.

American Factory was good, mainly because of the access and issues (culture clash,  union busting),  but there were also areas where it skimmed over things and didn't get into details.  For example, worker safety issues.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

oilcan

« Reply #142 on: February 17, 2020, 10:29:48 AM »

...or performances by Squinty McPigface...

I understand a man's need to lay down a smokescreen for the wife.    No need for her to know of your secret infatuation with the lovely and talented Renee.   Nobly,  you cast yourself as a disdainful bachelor in an Austen novel, ever contemptuous of the heroine's charms...it almost convinced me!

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 17, 2020, 12:37:54 PM »

...or performances by Squinty McPigface...

I understand a man's need to lay down a smokescreen for the wife.    No need for her to know of your secret infatuation with the lovely and talented Renee.   Nobly,  you cast yourself as a disdainful bachelor in an Austen novel, ever contemptuous of the heroine's charms...it almost convinced me!
I call her Squinty McPigface because she squints. And has a pig face.

I note for the record you knew exactly who I was referring to.
There was not a needy person among them, for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the proceeds of what was sold and laid it at the apostles' feet, and distribution was made to each as any had need.

barton

« Reply #144 on: February 17, 2020, 05:46:41 PM »

When Hairy Met Squinty

Boz, everyone knows who you mean because you've been calling her that for years.   

Check out Rose Williams in "Sanditon" -- those squinty pig-girls are hot!   

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 24, 2020, 12:46:01 PM »

barton

« Reply #146 on: February 24, 2020, 04:04:12 PM »

Which version do you prefer?   

Or is this about Nutflux's thing about limiting theatrical release?

barton

« Reply #147 on: February 24, 2020, 04:07:00 PM »

It's a Hitchcock thing,  isn't it?   

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 24, 2020, 04:48:11 PM »

It's a Hitchcock thing,  isn't it?
it is a destroy your own history thing.

oilcan

« Reply #149 on: February 29, 2020, 11:36:00 AM »

Roman Polanski rakes in awards at the Cesars (French  Oscars).   Not sitting well with many,  including Me2 folk.  Some actresses walked out of the ceremony. 

Rose Williams is my favorite squinty pigface.  I suspect therell be a second season of Sanditon.   
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 50