Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 48

Author Topic: Movies  (Read 42349 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Movies
« Reply #120 on: July 13, 2019, 04:36:44 PM »

JOSH,

The Third Eye film forum might be closing, and archiving itself (with the Wayback Machine or whatever), and some there wondered if Elba could accommodate them (it's about six active members left).  That would involve adding a couple more film threads (but wouldn't need to transport any posts, just start fresh ones).

Sorry! I missed this.

By all means and let me know what you need added, okay?
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

oilcan

« Reply #121 on: July 15, 2019, 07:12:34 PM »

Thanks.   I passed along your welcoming words to Third Eye.   They seem to be still unsure what they're doing.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 15, 2019, 01:04:49 PM »

USC film school is rated as the best film school by the Hollywood Reporter...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/top-25-american-film-schools-ranked-1231343/item/2019-top-25-film-schools-usc-1231345

NYU came in second.

And Chapman should be third, but instead they put Chapman as seventh.

Salute,

Tony V.

barton

« Reply #123 on: August 17, 2019, 03:50:49 PM »

RIP Peter Fonda.   His passage sadly noted here in the Black Hills.  He often showed up at the bike rally in Sturgis.  In many films I didn't see, but also in films I did see and liked, like Ulee's Gold, The Limey, and of course ER. 

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 13, 2019, 03:07:53 PM »

I noticed that Disney has made a new film, "Maleficent, Mistress of Evil," and there is a new film "Joker," and I wonder why they are all focusing on the villains instead of focusing on the good heroes like the old days.

Films are supposed to bring out the best in us, and they are supposed to give the kids good role models to look up to, like Roy Rogers, and the Lone Ranger, etc.

I need to start making movies, so that I can make movies my way.

Although, my film "Echo, A Rock and Roll Tragedy" will not be a good film for children, and will be rated "R."

I want to make a bunch of love stories. And really, "Echo" is a love story.

And I may make a movie about Lech Walesa, who is a hero.

We will see what I can do...

Salute,

Tony V.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 13, 2019, 03:13:24 PM »

The late, great Andrzej Wajda beat you to it.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt2113820/
The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

barton

« Reply #126 on: September 21, 2019, 11:20:25 PM »

Lolita

Though I read the novel eons ago, I realized neither of us had seen the movie.   Despite some mixed feelings about the sanitizing process Kubrick was forced into by production codes, the quality of the performances make it worth seeing, with memorable swerves between creepy and comedic.   Shelley Winters is amazing as usual  -- predatory, pretentious, volatile, and whiny.   Though looking a bit run down at the end.

Given that Sue Lyon was 15 by the time production ended, and easily passed for 17 (movie Lolita is in high school, not the 11 year old of the novel), the pedophile aspect is considerably watered down.   

Some reservations about Sellers in this - his "Quilty" often has the feel of an actor amusing cast and crew with over-the-top riffs on other movie roles where he does funny accents, rather than something that really belongs in the film.   That Humbert can't recognize Quilty when he impersonates Dr. Strangelove a German psychologist is a bit improbable, and pulled me out of the movie a little.   The scene where Quilty poses as a state policeman is just annoying and ridiculous.   

oilcan

« Reply #127 on: December 29, 2019, 11:53:06 AM »

RIP Lolita.  Sue Lyon just died. 

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 29, 2019, 12:14:51 PM »

I'm thinking of aurochs and angels, the secret of durable pigments, prophetic sonnets, the refuge of art. And this is the only immortality you and I may share, Sue Lyon.
The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

barton

« Reply #129 on: December 29, 2019, 01:49:42 PM »

One of the great closing paragraphs of modern literature.  Up there with the final line of Joyce's "The Dead."   

oilcan

« Reply #130 on: December 29, 2019, 06:38:33 PM »

There, in front of us, where a broken row of houses stood between us and the harbour, and where the eye encountered all sorts of stratagems, such as pale-blue and pink underwear cakewalking on a clothesline ... it was most satisfying to make out among the jumbled angles of roofs and walls, a splendid ship’s funnel, showing from behind the clothesline as something in a scrambled picture – Find What the Sailor Has Hidden – that the finder cannot unsee once it has been seen.   

You really can't have too much Nabokov in a forum.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 29, 2019, 11:31:53 PM »

There, in front of us, where a broken row of houses stood between us and the harbour, and where the eye encountered all sorts of stratagems, such as pale-blue and pink underwear cakewalking on a clothesline ... it was most satisfying to make out among the jumbled angles of roofs and walls, a splendid ship’s funnel, showing from behind the clothesline as something in a scrambled picture – Find What the Sailor Has Hidden – that the finder cannot unsee once it has been seen.   

You really can't have too much Nabokov in a forum.
FIFY.

barton

« Reply #132 on: December 30, 2019, 01:02:47 PM »

Heh.  I don't disagree. 

This last lines should be Nabokov, but it's Milan Kundera....

"Up out of the lampshade, startled by the overhead light, flew a large nocturnal butterfly that began circling the room. The strains of the piano and violin rose up weakly from below."

barton

« Reply #133 on: January 05, 2020, 12:59:27 PM »

Watched On the Beach,  due to current events and curious how it held up some 55 years after its premiere. 

The film is stiff and clunky in places,  but it has its thought-provoking moments.  The Rube Goldberg thing with the window shade and coke bottle was ridiculous but I have to give credit for a sort of existential joke there, as in we're all looking for signals of civilization in what can be random beeps. Ava Gardner, as always, mesmerizing, here as a hot mess who struggles with self loathing and Peck's shell of denial that his family is gone. Peck seems to have trouble, as an actor, hitting his marks, and somehow never fully grapples with the awfulness of what is coming down. Also, why must Australia must be represented by one song that is surely one that even tavern drunks have grown tired of? I would have enjoyed a scene where a bunch of roughnecks set upon the trout fishing crew that keep drinking and singing it endlessly.

Astaire's acting is underwhelming, though he does offer some ruminations on the folly of humankind and our penchant for wars that nobody really wants...his words still seem applicable. The Grand Prix race is rather hokey, and we are supposed to believe an egghead professor, if dropped into a well-tuned Ferrari, will emerge victorious. It's oddly dull and would have done no harm to the film if left in the cutting room. The film raises so many interesting possibilities of what people might do at the end of the world which are mostly unexplored. Maybe, in a sad way, that's the point: most opt for meekness and denial.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 06, 2020, 11:56:56 AM »

The Real Lolita
The story of 11-year-old Sally Horner’s abduction changed the course of 20th-century literature. She just never got to tell it herself.

Interesting read which offers some analysis of the novel Lolita as well.  I'd heard about this case which inspired Nabokov, but didn't know the full details or recall that it had occurred in NJ.

The read kind of makes you appreciate the Amber Alerts and priority put on child abduction these days.

It also put me in mind of the film An Education, though the girl there is 16 or 17, and not the 11 year Sally Horner of Camden or 13 year old Delores Haze of imaginative legend.

I should read Lolita again.  This would probably be the 5th time, but when you know it so well, you can focus on the language or the unreliability of Humbert or the parenthetical asides, etc. without worrying about the narrative thrust (mild pun intended).
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 48