Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 20, 2018, 11:37:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 299
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 33885 times)
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2007, 06:46:13 PM »

Slap Shot
second vote for the Sandler-free version of The Longest Yard
Bang the Drum Slowly
Major League

Just my .02
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2007, 09:40:34 PM »

The Fish that Saved Pittsburgh

Ordinary People
law120b

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2007, 11:58:58 PM »

jest droppin in to say hi.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2007, 10:15:36 AM »

The Fish that Saved Pittsburgh

Ordinary People

Favorite Spring Break movie:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0300214/

whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2007, 10:24:04 AM »

Slap Shot
second vote for the Sandler-free version of The Longest Yard
Bang the Drum Slowly
Major League

Just my .02
Definitely Major League!  Any time the Indians beat the Yankees gets my approval, even if it is a pretty mediocre and barely funny comedy.

Slap Shot may be my favorite sports comedy; can't think of anything better off the top of my head.  As for dramas, Raging Bull.

What does it matter?  All is grace.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2007, 11:35:59 AM »

Hey, nice quote (or tagline or whatever)!!   I'll bet "No Country For Old Men" has an opening barren-landscape voice-over like "Blood Simple" did. 

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2007, 05:48:08 PM »

Just to pull this discussion together, wasn't the great M. Emmett Walsh Timothy Hutton's swimming coach in "Ordinary People," see I told you there was a sports movie in there even though for some reason his heart wasn't in swimming...

Movies about sports are usually terrible, but occasionally you find a real gem like the Rob Lowe rowing drama "Oxford Blues," and the note-perfect "Side Out," a sort of "'Cocktail' meets, uh, volleyball..."  It's one of C. Thomas Howell's most nuanced role as a brash upstart who gets his comeuppance and life-lessons from perpetual thirty-something Peter Horton.

I'm not sure if "Urban Cowboy" (beaten to market by the inferior "The Electric Horseman") really qualifies as a "fringe sports movie," like "Gleaming the Cube," you never really know if you are quote-unquote "gleaming the cube" unless you've been that snail out on on that razorblade, tip-toeing across the tightrope.....like Clint Eastwood.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2007, 07:25:47 PM »

I take it you're not a badmitton man.

In "Fancy," a young redneck ingenue orphan raised by strict Southern Baptists is admitted to an elite Mississippi prep school through a program that allows social science to collide with the possibility of social mobility.

The rich girls teach her to smoke, and she learns how to how have fun and speak right for the first time ever.  She learns to go all the way on the first date and how to do bong hits and parasail.

Fox Searchlight:  Spring '08.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2007, 01:31:33 PM »

I take it you're not a badmitton man.

SPELLING PARK RANGER says...

It's "badminton".

oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2007, 01:33:20 PM »

In "Fancy," a young redneck ingenue orphan raised by strict Southern Baptists is admitted to an elite Mississippi prep school... Fox Searchlight:  Spring '08.

This guy would be great as the coach of the parasailing team...

http://imdb.com/name/nm0788335/
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2007, 02:35:57 PM »

Just some random thoughts.

Blood Simple - Great flick.  Don't watch it while you're eating eggplant parm, or you might have to change the channel.  We did. 

Major League -- Yeah, it's not so funny, is it?  But I know a bunch of real people who act a lot like ML's stereotyped characters -- except the voodoo guy -- so it doesn't ring all that false with me.  Still, while it's something comfortable to veg out to, I think ML has to come off the list.

Eight Men Out -- True, an excellent film.  But sooo depressing.  Almost as depressing as DB Sweeney's career. (Quick - who was he in Eight Men Out?)

And speaking of Mr. Sweeney, I spaced and forgot the ultimate sports movie -- The Cutting Edge.  It blends hockey with figure skating, what more could you ask?  You want more?  Okay, it's directed by Starsky.  It just don't get better than this....Seriously, though I think it will have to take the place of Major League on my list.  (A well-balanced diet always includes a little cheese.)

And Urban Cowboy -- this is one of my most-hated movies. Except for Debra Winger, and even she can only do so much, it's horrible.  The writing is atrocious.  The plot line is high-school.  The acting -- most of the acting -- is horrendous.  Yet the little guide thing that flips up on my screen gives it three stars.  Why, oh why on earth?  Ms. Winger notwithstanding, of course.  Urban Cowboy has a permanently high ranking on my Worst Ever list, even with competition like the old  standbys: Plan 9 from Outer Space, Session 9, and Hard Hunted (or just about any Joe Bob Briggs movie).

I'm done. Thank you very much.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2007, 04:04:57 PM »

Almost as depressing as DB Sweeney's career. (Quick - who was he in Eight Men Out?)

Shoeless Joe - I didn't even have to check IMDB.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2007, 04:12:19 PM »

And speaking of Mr. Sweeney, I spaced and forgot the ultimate sports movie -- The Cutting Edge.

Co-starring Moira Kelly, who was very cute there for a while.

Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2007, 04:36:33 PM »

Bad movies

I saw The Holiday recently.  GUYS - Don't get roped into this one by your women in your life.

The trouble with identifying bad films is that there are so many.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2007, 06:30:06 PM »

Harrie:  I think you're wrong about "Urban Cowboy," as much as I heart you, because like "Saturday Night Fever" you almost feel like an alien sociologist watching the movie, I mean, both stories sort of (and "Saturday Night Fever" is much more knowing from a directoral standpoint) capture the sadness of the location and the time in place and the folly, I don't know, I would say give it another chance.  But I believe that SNF is really an outstanding film, punching through the heart of disco with a wry melodrama that is half-sincere, and ultimately half-heartbreaking. 

Speaking of "disco," I've been watching "The Last Days of Disco" on cable a few times lately and just think the best of Whit Stillman and Chris Eigeman playing it straight so smart and just right with the lines make him only a guy that Stillman can direct right, and he doesn't do it often enough.  If life were like a Stillman film, I guess everybody would be super-wry all the time, but I really don't know what it's like to be around a lot of people who try to do that a lot.  Stillman's view of snobs is charitable in that we get to see everything played out making sense, and it's not just a game of chaotic bullying and half-wits, which is more what I imagine to be the truth of the matter.

I hope that Obama's message reaches directly out to black people tonight, if not, Hilary will, and that's a problem.  They've already thought this through, and if my instincts are correct Hilary will be waiting for Obama to say anything too much about race or class, and be loaded for bull about her Senate advocacy, etc.  I expect someone to show teeth, I mean, a few, please.

Dark Horse Edwards might strike the right message if he focuses on the working poor and middle class, he's been doing it for years, and it just might resonate above the manipulated bitchery.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 299
  Print  

Jump to: