Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 20, 2018, 10:07:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 304
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 53029 times)
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2007, 06:34:36 PM »

...and before anybody says "easy for a white guy from SC to say" about Obama and Hilary being "bitches," okay I'll own a little bit of that but there is something about Obama that is female, not too threatening, hiding smoking cigarettes from his wife that just doesn't fit.  I like for people that smoke to smoke.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2007, 06:36:42 PM »

...when I say "female, not too threatening," I didn't mean to suggest that the idea of a woman President is threatening to me personally as a man, but let her carry our her "penis envy" in whatever fantastic way she can.
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2007, 06:40:12 PM »

That debate is tonight?

No television?
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2007, 08:11:26 PM »

jbottle, I get what you're saying, and heart you right back, of course.  I don't know if I have a blind spot re UC or what, but everything about it just pisses me off. I will take another look at it using your suggested POV of the alien sociologist.  I'm sure there's at least one phaeton thetan/L Ron Hubbard joke in there somewhere, too.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 09:54:41 PM by harrie » Logged
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2007, 09:49:22 PM »

Cool, harrie, the take in the Cack on the debate (the sigboth agreed) is that "John Edwards was John Edwards.  Hilary didn't hurt herself.  Obama gained a little ground by anticipating the CONFEDERATE FLAG QUESTION by saying it "belongs in a museum."

It sounds worse when you type it, I mean, it really does belong in a museum, but anyway we are red state red type red red red...

We have great barbeque, but the Republicans put the flag off the State House and onto Main Street, which was the evil genius of Glenn McConnell come to life...oh, okay, off of the symbolic place above the state house in Columbia to the STATE GROUNDS (well patrolled) where to anybody who likes movies can appreciate the difference between a kite and a punch in the mouth.

I always took the position that it (the flag) deserved a place somewhere on the grounds, so that people who lost their loved ones might grieve, etc., but the most interesting thing is that "Captain Kirk" (I've only heard him called this once while he was at a Clemson game and I said "Dave.....Dave!!!," David Beasley lost his bid as a Republican for among other missteps (I still say the job of a Gov. is foremost to get re-elected but others admire his "moxie"?") by suggesting that the flag be removed from the State House, which it eventually was, only to resurface embarassingly to most white South Carolinians, right there at the place where the State House Grounds meet Main Street, what a slap in the face.

I personally liked it on top of the State House but only because of fuck you feds than anything else, if it makes people feel lousy I want it down.

What I hate is the flag being used as a political tool by racists or political opportunists who oppose its display.  Hell, I like the stars and bars and have a friend who is black and don't think that our flag now should be hidden away just because of the war crimes that are committed under it's auspice, any more than we should forget the war back when.  I hate slavery, but carpet bombing ain't so hot neither...
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2007, 10:22:47 PM »

God Howard Fineman is such a piece of shit loser Hilary tool.  Unbelievable.  Nobody gives her that debate.  He says Obama on his heels, totally wack, I mean, now I feel what it's like to be black (joke), just kidding, etc., but really, I'm not even a blogger even close and only a beer person with movie jokes but Howard Fineman is an authentic jer(close your eare Harrie)-koff and I don't think that that guy has anything but a Hilary agenda on his mind.  He is literally the only guy who said she won.

I thought she lost ground.

Am I nuts.

Note:  I'm not, Barack won cool point and Hilary looked like a chicken pecking at corn.

Didn't want to go all third world, I guess that makes me an @starhole.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2007, 09:06:19 AM »

Didn't want to go all third world...

Especially not after what "AI: Artificial Intelligence" did to them.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2007, 05:56:17 PM »

Hate it when I "gleam the cube," "couch the coherency," and otherwise type.

Sounds like Cage and Moore look visibly miserable on screen in "Next," though Darghis seems to want to jump on Jessica Biel, join the clubs.

I think I may get around to watching the 007 one tonight, "Kill Me Some Other Year" or whatever it's called, looking forward to it but have to locate the damn thing.  Unlike Ballbuster cases, Netflix sleeves will hide anywhere, them somebitching is some slippery little sombitches.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2007, 12:19:51 AM »

Just got done watching "The Big Heat" with Glenn Ford and Lee Marvin, I really could give you a thousand or two words but (collective whew) I'll just suffice it to say that what I liked the most is that it was a screenplay and film that is directly audience driven and that the jokes have to be in the screenplay for the writer and the, I reckon, frequently Freudian, set design (a couple of penis lamps, a couple of vagina drapes," sorry, but there I'm hard boiling it down.  No, fantastic movie and Marvin is great almost jumping out of his skin to delineate the fifties from the sixties when he says "Go ahead and kill me..." crazily to Ford, off the scale of 1-7.5 on the audience meter by about 2.5 and you wonder why it stayed in except for all the (I guess) economical long shots in the film.  It shares that visceral quality with other more notable noirs but you feel like, you know, like you probably just went to watch "The Big Heat" and it had the revenge, the slut, the guy who beats up on girls, etc., but then it's got that other thing that makes people care the next 20 times.  I might figure out what happened next time but I was a little intrigued by the way the director (getting ready to figure out who that was) seemed to save celluloid and show off at the same time.  I mean, why else would you make people say long lines and set up long shots unless you wanted to save money, right???

But I can't say enough about storytelling.  Glenn Ford ends up beating up on a girl (woman) who deserves it in the third act and he has literally had to turn in his badge, been accused of insanity, actually has a card game going for the hoods who are watching his daughter (tip to the illegal gambling joint that he goes to in the first act), I mean the screenplay is airtight, and funny.

Some of the opening shots make you want frames of them, I mean, not really, who wants the long shot of Glenn Ford getting an apartment for the first time, empty room, etc.

Hell I really like Glenn Ford.

I mostly liked how most of the star management seemed to collide with star-mismanagement, and how Ford played a guy bordering on insane toward the end, but still held it together, it's all in the eyes, and I know that he knew what he was doing...

...and that makes me happy.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2007, 05:32:31 PM »

"Disturbia" gets the award for being tops three weeks in a row, a rarity for a non-blockbuster solid moneymaker.  Great for D.J. Caruso who looks like a guy to make a bargain ($13M budget) blowout for you.  Above $50M now, the film should end up with around 85 theatrically, pick well, young Shia, the world be your oyster.
fartonbink

« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2007, 07:57:33 PM »

I rented The Departed this weekend, and found the DVD had no extras or special features.  Refreshing.   The hand of Scorsese at work?
fartonbink

« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2007, 11:14:32 AM »

This place seems fairly sedate.  Must be gardening related.  For those of us how don't garden, these are lonely times.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2007, 12:17:00 PM »

This place seems fairly sedate.  Must be gardening related.  For those of us how don't garden, these are lonely times.

Hey, bart. If you're referring to me specifically, I just haven't seen too many movies lately, even on TV.  Plus, having some TCOB issues that come and go.  (Note to self: Rent The Constant Gardener....)
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2007, 01:18:10 PM »

Or should I have addressed that "Hey, fart." ?
fartonbink

« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2007, 08:54:11 AM »

Perhaps we could skirt the whole issue and settle for "Art" ?  Art for art's sake.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 304
  Print  

Jump to: