Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 23, 2018, 11:04:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 304
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 51685 times)
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #360 on: June 05, 2007, 10:36:23 AM »

Nastassja

Cat People, baby.  Come on!!!
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #361 on: June 05, 2007, 11:16:33 AM »

Jbotnik --

"Barton, "Mr. Brooks" is exactly the type of movie that might be judged before viewing, and you have little credibility as a "Jr.," rather than "Full," member, however, realizing that Kevin Costner fans are sensitive, I apologize."

No apology needed, I just want you to go watch Mr. Brooks and then talk me out of it.  I'm trying to save money for a road trip.

As for junior member status, anyone who checks out my numbers will see that I will soon be, and have, a full member.

(I was going to wait on the risque "full member" joke until I attained it, but I am somewhat impatient....)

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #362 on: June 05, 2007, 11:18:52 AM »

Nastassja Kinski looked great in "Terminal Velocity" (1994), a competely watchable action movie with Charlie Sheen.  Sheen plays skydiver "Ditch" Brodie, which is his 2nd-best character name, right after his satellite-dish tech-guy Zane Zalinski in "The Arrival".
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #363 on: June 05, 2007, 11:21:35 AM »

(I was going to wait on the risque "full member" joke until I attained it, but I am somewhat impatient....)

Careful...you wouldn't want to be premature or anything.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #364 on: June 05, 2007, 11:27:21 AM »

I don't think you're (the royal "you," the editorial) allowed to make jokes re: "member" status vis a vis "member" as a term for "penis".  It's one of those "too easy" situations - kind of like the University of South Carolina Gamecocks - if you make a joke referencing the "Cocks" part vis a vis "Cock" as slang for "penis", it's just like, come on, everyone is already way past that joke, etc.

I will, however, admit to laughing at the "member" joke in "The Party Animal" (1984):

PONDO
I'm having problems with my pecker.

HOT SCHOOL NURSE
You mean your member?

PONDO
My what?

HOT SCHOOL NURSE
You're having problems with your member?

PONDO
Oh... I've never thought of him as a "member."  I've always thought of him as more of a "loner."

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #365 on: June 05, 2007, 11:29:02 AM »

Oilcan,

glad to see you resisting the siren call of the "too easy" member joke.

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #366 on: June 05, 2007, 11:31:06 AM »

Harrie:

Ha!

whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #367 on: June 05, 2007, 11:33:51 AM »

Harrie:

Ha!

I believe, linguistically, "Ha!" is classified as an ejaculation.

What does it matter?  All is grace.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #368 on: June 05, 2007, 11:35:46 AM »

I believe, linguistically, "Ha!" is classified as an ejaculation.

Unless it is uttered by A-Rod, in which case it is symbolic speech, to convey the message of "NNNNNNNoonan!!" or "MMMMMMMiss it!!"
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #369 on: June 05, 2007, 11:47:26 AM »

Let's steer clear of the linguistic issues, er, raised by "A Rod."

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #370 on: June 05, 2007, 11:58:25 AM »

So the baseball consensus seems to be that saying "I got it..." was "bush league," but I thought it was kind of funny not being a baseball guy, it's one of those things where people would recoil in horror if you told Mickelson to "Shank it!!!" in his backswing, one of the sort of things that simply isn't done.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #371 on: June 05, 2007, 12:03:41 PM »

Of course, when you are a FULL MEMBER, you can do just about anything!

Woohoo!

TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #372 on: June 05, 2007, 12:05:26 PM »

thank goodness there is now a comedy section on this board...maybe some of you guys should go and check it out
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #373 on: June 05, 2007, 01:16:21 PM »

whiskey: Did you see the movie your current and previous taglines (as well as a fave of mine about hard boiled eggs) are from as Ace in the Hole or as The Big Carnival
Oddly enough, Robert Osborne introduced it as The Big Carnival on TCM, while the opening credits called it Ace in the Hole.  I believe both titles are on my recorded DVD copy... but I'd have to check.

What does it matter?  All is grace.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #374 on: June 06, 2007, 10:48:39 AM »

Mr. Brooks was a fun ride. I haven't read any reviews, so I'm uncertain why the harsh buzz about Demi Moore. I thought she was okay, though a couple of her scenes (the van kidnapping) somehow didn't quite dovetail in there with the rest of the film, and I'm rarely impressed by gum-chewing as an actorial ("I'm a tough broad") device. And the notion of her being worth 60 million, but still choosing to be a homicide cop --- this wasn't really made clear to me, and so seemed strained, but I think she did her best with the script given her.

SPOILERS

The plot keeps you off-balance and guessing, and I'm still unclear as to whether Brooks is trying to give Moore's career a boost, or get her killed. The whole thing with the photography buff changing apartments, and the apartment happening to be next to the escaped "Hangman Killer" apartment, is a bit confusing. I sort of see how it could be set up, but the gunfight in the hallway seems to depend on random factors, i.e. when the Hangman Killer and his GF would be going out somewhere, and when Moore would show up at photographer's apt.

Similarly, is Brook's murder of the greedy ex-husband (of Moore) an attempt to help her out of a messy divorce, or a setup so that she will appear to be doing a copycat Thumprint Killer murder? Or both? He seems to like her, somehow, but clearly lots of ambivalence there. It will be a pleasure to watch Mr. Brooks again on DVD.

The ending has a sort of Fight Club resonance, in which Mr. Brooks seems to be trying to scare his Wm Hurt alter ego out of existence by threatening to kill himself. Mercifully, he doesn't have to shoot out his larynx to do the job, but then it's left unclear as to whether his right-brained pal will be back. An earlier scene suggests that the Hurt alter ego doesn't completely know what the Mr. Brooks left brain is thinking, though they occupy the same skull -- an interesting conceit, and yet another question mark that makes this film so interesting.

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 304
  Print  

Jump to: