Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 19, 2018, 05:50:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 302
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 37755 times)
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #375 on: June 06, 2007, 10:56:26 AM »

I think I will take a pass on Mr. Brooks.  Outside of Bull Durham, I never had much time for Kevin Costner.  Strikes me as a latter-day Gary Cooper who I found insufferably boring.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #376 on: June 06, 2007, 11:28:37 AM »

"Fight Club" *** SPOILER ***

The ending has a sort of Fight Club resonance, in which Mr. Brooks seems to be trying to scare his Wm Hurt alter ego out of existence by threatening to kill himself. Mercifully, he doesn't have to shoot out his larynx to do the job

Were you around for the "Pitt-as-a-tumor" theory discussion at the NYTFF?  It was a while back, maybe a year or two after "Fight Club" came out.

In a nutshell, the theory is that Brad Pitt is actually a tumor in or around Ed Norton's pituitary gland, altering his personality, causing him to hallucinate, blow up his apartment, hug Meat Loaf, lust after and punch Jared Leto, etc.  The self-inflicted gunshot to the face somehow neutralized the tumor, and Ed Norton can just hug HBCarter and get on with his life.

I know the gunshot wound was more to the larynx or neck or throat area, and not really near the pituitary gland, but it works better if you think maybe there was a wry/dumb joke in there, what with "Pitt-uitary" and so forth.

oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #377 on: June 06, 2007, 11:31:57 AM »

I think I will take a pass on Mr. Brooks.  Outside of Bull Durham, I never had much time for Kevin Costner.  Strikes me as a latter-day Gary Cooper who I found insufferably boring.

"Bull Durham" was one of my least favorite movies ever... my 3 least favorite writer/directors are:

Kevin Smith
Cameron Crowe
Ron Shelton

Here are the Kevin Costner movies I've liked:

Waterworld
3000 Miles to Graceland
A Perfect World
Revenge

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #378 on: June 06, 2007, 11:38:20 AM »

Oil, I suspect you will really enjoy Mr. Brooks.  It is film that is not typical of its genre or of Costner or really, of anything.  It has flaws, but you will enjoy them too, and be left with some intriguing things to ponder. 

The Pitt-uitary theory is a neat pun, even if it's bad anatomy.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #379 on: June 06, 2007, 12:03:59 PM »

Waterworld ranks as one of my least favorite movies all time, as does The Postman.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #380 on: June 06, 2007, 12:54:48 PM »

"The Postman" is great though, in the humorless way in which Costner spins a pretty ludicrous post-apocalyptic yarn.  "Waterworld" is good for the same reason, even though he ripped directoral control from Kevin Reynolds 3/4 ths of the way through.  When asked about budget overruns on WW by Leno, Costner famously stated:  "I don't make bad movies."  (cough)

On "...the Actors Studio," Costner claimed of "Dances With Wolves" (How did that come to you?), that he had to jack up Michael Blake on the wall of the cottage on Costner's property telling him to "write something good."  One week later the screenplay was done.  He basically takes credit for threatening to kick someone's ass to get "Dances With Wolves" created.  What an asshole.

He seems timid to me as an actor, the Joel Schumacher of mainstream leads, I mean, he seemingly gets embarassed at making bad movies when he should delight in it the way the more humorous and talented guys on the A- list do.....he was pretty good playing a drunk ex-pro baseballer in the one with what's her face.

I may go see Mr. Brooks tonight, are there any scenes that would make the any combination of jbottle, sigboth, and jbottle's mother uncomfortable?  I was severely mentally scarred when I took my mother to see PTA's Sandler one with all the phone sex stuff and I think an anal sex joke.  Ouchlee Von Ouchington, I presume (oof).   
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #381 on: June 06, 2007, 12:59:43 PM »

Oh, and for an example of why I don't like Costner's personality onscreen, look no further than 3K2MG, where Russell et. al. are having a gas, and it appears that Costner is stuck in glum mediocrity and no daring choices.  That performance happens to work in that film since there was so much cheese that a slice of white bread works, too, but it would have worked the other way too, if he went a little loopy with his character, anyway, that was a fun movie with a screenplay with more depth than people give it credit for because they were unwilling to think about something loud and audacious and so easy to dismiss.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #382 on: June 06, 2007, 01:01:31 PM »

Postman was pretty good as I recall - it's been several years.  I can see the point about "Waterworld" not being a "good" movie, certainly not one that would achieve any sort of critical acclaim, but if you like sci-fi, you're probably one that's going to like it...

I don't think Kevin Costner is a particularly talented actor, but I tend to like his movies more than I dislike them...
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #383 on: June 06, 2007, 01:41:33 PM »

Hard to call it sci-fi, since Dennis Hopper and crew were reduced to having to row a super tanker.  It was little more than Mad Max on water, with a sullen-faced gillman looking more like The Man from Atlantis.
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #384 on: June 06, 2007, 01:44:59 PM »

The only "Actor" the avoidance of whose movies gives me more pleasure than avoiding Costner's is Keanu "Large Block of Wood" Reeves.  The Postman and Waterworld were painfully bad - they didn't even have fun winking at themselves, and that MIGHT have saved them.  That's the difference between it and the vastly superior Mad Max movies.

What does it matter?  All is grace.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #385 on: June 06, 2007, 01:51:07 PM »

That's for sure.  Mad Max was a hoot.  Costner is bearable in sports movies like Bull Durham and Tin Cup, where he can show off his athletic prowess and what little charm he has.  It is otherwise hard to distinguish him from one role to the next. I see no appreciable diifference in appearance or attitude from Waterworld to Wolves to Bodyguard to Graceland. Wolves stood out only for its cinematography and Graham Greene.
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #386 on: June 06, 2007, 01:52:55 PM »

Wolves stood out only for its cinematography and Graham Greene.
I was all jacked to see it for that reason, and then I ralized it was probably an entirely different Graham Greene.

What does it matter?  All is grace.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #387 on: June 06, 2007, 02:00:50 PM »

Oh well.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #388 on: June 06, 2007, 02:13:52 PM »

The only "Actor" the avoidance of whose movies gives me more pleasure than avoiding Costner's is Keanu "Large Block of Wood" Reeves. 

I liked "Constantine" a lot, but I'm always a sucker for Bible-thriller-action-etc. movies.  I'm even looking forward to renting "The Reaping".
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #389 on: June 06, 2007, 02:42:13 PM »

Keanu showed some promise in River's Edge and Private Idaho, but once he achieved super-stud status it was over.  What's even worse is hearing him talk about his movies.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 302
  Print  

Jump to: