Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 20, 2018, 07:41:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 299
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 33739 times)
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #405 on: June 07, 2007, 01:16:58 PM »

I hear the probation violation came about because, unlike the fabulous Ms. Hilton, Sizemore likes the food in the big house.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #406 on: June 07, 2007, 02:14:39 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0796375/

Good surprise that a new John Dahl is right around the corner, looks like a good cast, Pullman, L. Wilson, Leoni, P. B. Hall, and others...cool.

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #407 on: June 07, 2007, 02:59:44 PM »

Jbot, I mentioned this upcoming film with some happy anticipation several months ago and was met by a giant yawn from the NYT regulars.  Glad someone finally noticed.  Though, IIRC, you were one of the yawners at that time.

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #408 on: June 07, 2007, 03:19:34 PM »

Tom Cruise:

When I was teaching learning disabled students, I learned that Tom Cruise, who was a real heartbreaker at the time, is dyslexic. Perhaps that's why you think he's dumb.
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #409 on: June 07, 2007, 03:25:38 PM »

Dyslexic people aren't necessarily dumb, in fact many are gifted.  Personally, I think Cruise is dumb because I've heard him talk.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #410 on: June 07, 2007, 03:27:48 PM »

Personally, I think Cruise is dumb because I've heard him talk.

Exactly.  Thank you.

To clarify my position, here's one of my favorite Tom Cruise quotes: I'm usually nervous to meet people that I admire because what if they're not cool or something?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 03:30:02 PM by harrie » Logged
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #411 on: June 07, 2007, 03:34:23 PM »

I know learning disabled and dyslexic people are not dumb. But, they are perceived to be dumb or lazy by their teachers before they are diagnosed with a problem. So what if Tom Cruise is not bright? He's cute to have around!
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #412 on: June 07, 2007, 03:34:59 PM »

Barton:  Sorry, man, I remember that you brought that up now (yawn) but I'm feeling very sleepy.  I do remember actually, and hope that it's a wide enough release to compete here, right now POTC3 is taking up three screens which leaves five left at my favourite one to go to--one is too thugged out even for someone as streetwise as the bottle.  You'll be pleased to know that Brooksy is on the slate for tonight or tomorrow night, so will report.  I'm wondering how we "see" William Hurt in the movie, like, is that how Brookzy sees himself or is it the sneaky serial killer voice he hears while maintaining a seemingly unflappable exterior?  Again, shall report, but if you don't see it too then you won't be able to respond, so it's incumbent upon others, including the scumbag lurker, to see "Mr. Brooks" right away.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #413 on: June 07, 2007, 03:36:03 PM »

Maybe Tom Cruise is dumb because his dyslexia made it hard for him to read books.
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #414 on: June 07, 2007, 03:38:20 PM »

The only "Actor" the avoidance of whose movies gives me more pleasure than avoiding Costner's is Keanu "Large Block of Wood" Reeves.  The Postman and Waterworld were painfully bad - they didn't even have fun winking at themselves, and that MIGHT have saved them.  That's the difference between it and the vastly superior Mad Max movies.

The Postman?

AWESOME.
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #415 on: June 07, 2007, 03:42:54 PM »

Dyslexic people are rarely widely read. I don't know about Cruise, but I have heard that Cher, who is also supposed to be dyslexic, had to have her parts read to her to learn the lines. Perhaps Cruise does also. Dyslexia sometimes affects both thinking and speech in addition to reading. It is possible that Cruise thinks he is saying what he should say and it comes out wrong. It would not be surprising. Perhaps that's why he went into acting, so he could memorize what he was going to say. As I said, no matter - he's cute to have around!
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #416 on: June 07, 2007, 04:30:34 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0796375/

Good surprise that a new John Dahl is right around the corner, looks like a good cast, Pullman, L. Wilson, Leoni, P. B. Hall, and others...cool.

Ah, I love Philip Baker Hall aka Roman Krzeminski, you say? I can see that.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #417 on: June 07, 2007, 04:42:08 PM »

kitinkaboodle re:#406

"I've always paid attention to Damon (not so much b-o-r-i-n-g Ben).  Other ( personally) appealing males worth watching:
Javier Bardem        yes!
Mads Mikkelsen      who?
Depp                    He needs a really serious part,other than J.M.Barrie
Gosling                 I have learned to appreciate him,gradually.
Bale                      "  "       "        "  depreciate him.
Oleg Menchikov      I missed him;dzimas can explain him to me.
Used to enjoy Cusack's work, not so much lately... "
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #418 on: June 07, 2007, 05:37:07 PM »

Bale does such a good job in "American Psycho" that it's impossible to fully appreciate until you see it a few times--the first time I saw it I thought well, it's not awful and surprisingly good and Bale did as much as he could with a hard part to play.  Now I think the movie is just great and that Bale is as subtle, funny, dead-on in the character mainly in the ambivalence about whether what is happening is imagination or reality, meaning he was having fun with the part and he didn't have to really decide whether to play menace or satire and pulls off both at the same time by embodying what you would think should have stayed on the page.  I think he should play more bad guys.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #419 on: June 07, 2007, 11:09:42 PM »

Saw "Mr. Brooks," and while entertained much the way one of the Onion guys was, I can't say that it was anything other than advertised, the script "worked" despite not making any sense, and a solid supporting performance by Demi Moore who was actually funny a couple of times is one of the things to recommend it, surprisingly.  Certainly Dane Cook doesn't bring anything of humor or substance to the table other than that easily-accessible creepy geek side of the average stand-up comic that Jim Carrey double-lampooned in "The Cable Guy," that horrible insecure, borderline-personality type that every stand-up comic thinks that he is, unlike some like Zack Galafanakis who really is semi-nuts but seriously funny, Dane Cook is resigned to the sort of frat-boy humor (ordinarily no complaining) and 4-picture delusions of grandeur afforded everyone from Dana Carvey to David Spade to, uh, Dane Cook, and thankfully, none of his films have made enough money to make him a household name, and I'm crossing my fingers that the Kappas will be able to book him for 5K in ten years, even if I know it's just bigger than all that now...

Sorry to run-on so far away but yeah, Costner in another workmanlike performance where you see him looking for that twinkle of world-weary, movie-weary humor, then you look to William Hurt, obviously not caring and slumming his way through a glum exercise in being an alter-ego to a character that's even more boring than he is, but then thats sorta the point, you see Mr. Brooks is, well.....

.....there's the germ (?) of, like they said, about ten good ideas here but this is material where you sort of have to take a stand tonally or you end up with some interesting ideas that are played too far down the middle in something ultimately too adult and too unfunny to sell.....

The appeal of serial killers after all, is their distinct otherness, their sickness, in whatever refrain you'd like to place it.....but to have Dane Cook give a kind of arm-chair loser's cheer of basically how cool that was.....tends to be depressing unless you are one of the people who would find killing to be interesting as an intellectual and visceral thrill, which is disturbingly taken almost for granted in this film in what I can only call an immoral way.  I could talk for a long time about why this film is ultimately bad (though worth the money and time), but that would take too long, suffice it to say I am spoiled by people (like the Coens, if only) who know the difference between garbage and black comedy, between deep glumness and devil may care comic daring (Christopher Walken, and many others at the right place and time), at any rate this film is only remarkable in that despite having every reason, including the absence of a basic humanism that you hope for, I reluctantly recommend "Mr. Brooks," as a comment on how bad mainstream adult film has gotten.  It's stars on their way down that grab could-be witty material and suck the life out of it, plain and simple, but there's the bottle, rattling on again.....
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 299
  Print  

Jump to: