Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 20, 2018, 11:50:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 304
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 53033 times)
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #420 on: June 08, 2007, 12:53:32 AM »

Deranged is more like it.  Anyone who takes such an active role in the Scientology Church has to have a couple loose screws.  I remember when Dennis Weaver went over the top with that thing, completely losing all sense of rationality.  There is something about that church that seems to drive its parishioners (if you can call them that) nuts.
BorisBartenov
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #421 on: June 08, 2007, 09:34:54 AM »

Bot,

while I share your glum assessment of mainstream film, I must have found more of a twinkle in Mr. Brooks eye than you did.  You comment that the killing...

"is disturbingly taken almost for granted in this film in what I can only call an immoral way...."

struck me as amoral, rather than immoral.  Amoral, because Mr. Brooks really captures the notion of living in two worlds.  In one, killing is heinous, and the part of him that is anchored there is desperately seeking to stay there, do the 12 steps, and so on.  In the other, killing is what the inner psycho is hardwired to do, and morality is viewed much as the agnostic may view religion -- it's fine for most people, but I just can't get it to mesh at all with the way I work.

I thought it was clever, in setting up the split in Mr. Brooks, to have much of the intuition and ability to read people lie with Mr. Hurt, as if the split is between cerebral hemispheres and Mr. Brooks is dully linear and left-brained, while his alter ego commands the groovier right brain.  I got the sense that right-brain Brooks, while obsessing over his bisques and glazes, somehow depended on left-brain Hurt for that little spark of inspiration that good pottery demands.  Perhaps that is a cliche, dividing up a split mind that way, but I hadn't seen it played out this way, and so I found Hurt's whole shtick less dismal than you apparently did.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
BorisBartenov
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #422 on: June 08, 2007, 09:36:38 AM »

Reverse "left" and "right" brained in the last part of the last paragraph above.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #423 on: June 08, 2007, 09:38:07 AM »

Deranged is more like it.  Anyone who takes such an active role in the Scientology Church has to have a couple loose screws.  I remember when Dennis Weaver went over the top with that thing, completely losing all sense of rationality.  There is something about that church that seems to drive its parishioners (if you can call them that) nuts.
I can't respect any religion that advertises in Popular Mechanics.

What does it matter?  All is grace.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #424 on: June 08, 2007, 03:04:32 PM »

And what about

"oh, to speak on one's feet / to beat on one's brain /
the popular mechanics are at it again..."
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #425 on: June 08, 2007, 08:07:10 PM »

I meant to say that the director of "Mr. Brooks" has a lot going for him, he made a "good" movie, which, when you are juggling a Demi Moore divorce backstory and other tangents/plot lines, and seeming to juggle them quite to the liking of most and only to the exasperation of somebody who thinks that some of what happened despite being impossible should also have been played silly, no prob, just that if Costner doesn't bring in the wit that he doesn't have, you don't get to make fun of him, who is supposed to be at least on the outside a control freak barely holding it together, except it's no prob for Brooksy, which also doesn't gel unless the central caveat is a, you know, movie joke, so anyway, that and the fact that he was running a "box company," not exactly a boutique family operation, most of it was implausible and of the "get high and type" variety, which is also fine so long as you remember that it's Friday night and all people want is a decent freak-out and some wit.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #426 on: June 08, 2007, 11:01:13 PM »

Plus:  Cast Bill Pullman, Winona Ryder, make it "one of the dot.com's that made it--who knew we'd be here now babe" and Ribisi as bad Brooks ("I kind of want to ___ your daughter, I mean, our wife, this is so much fun..."), and in the Dane Cook role Ian MacKellan as a sort of shut in at a retirement home, in a wheelchair, controlling Mr. Brooks, making him push him around because of a photograph and a bit of imagination...vs....

SPOILERS

The much too convenient Rite Aid moment and "I'll bet he put the disk in the safety deposit box at his usual bank," lol, you kill me with your brilliance Brooksy...
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #427 on: June 09, 2007, 11:51:11 AM »

I thought "Lord Of War" was kind of silly.  Nicolas Cage sells guns in bulk to all of these ruthless killer dictators, etc., and they just say "okay, thanks for the guns, here's your $$$"...

Huh?  If they're really ruthless killer dictators, why don't they just say "thanks for the guns" and then shoot him?  Or just take the guns and shoot him without even saying thanks?

I have something off topic (as far as Mr.Brooks is concerned). Let me introduce Prince Bandar and why  Saudis for instance do not shoot arms dealers.  It will become self-evident as you read as much as you care to since the story just broke.  Bandar Bush, you know him well, don't you?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/baefiles/story/0,,2099077,00.html
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #428 on: June 09, 2007, 11:55:35 AM »

Ps. He's the nice fuzzy little guy, the kind we used to call a "Teddy Bear" because girls would always hug them, when they arrived at a bar, either way, the girls arrived, or he arrived.

But you probably remember seeing him as his residence was right across the street from where the Bushes hang out -- so he would drop in now and then and thus got his name of Bandar Bush, one of the stars of Michael Moore's,Fahrenheit 9/11
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #429 on: June 09, 2007, 07:42:34 PM »

Tangentially related to movies is the frat-boy humor game of "Edwards 40's Hands," where as I understand it a college male has one 40 oz. beer duct-taped to each of his hands, and then it goes from there.  I guess it could be considered "hazing," or even "fun," just wanted you to know what the kids are up to.....I kind of want to "You Tube" it but the visual was almost enough to make me nose my beer anyway when I first heard about it.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #430 on: June 10, 2007, 06:48:49 PM »

I played that game once... later that night, I ate a whole bowl of tartar sauce because I thought it was clam chowder.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #431 on: June 10, 2007, 08:34:48 PM »

There was once a Malt Liquor named "Crazy Horse," which was said to embody all of the wild and unbridled spirit of it's namesake, and if you think you've seen somebody dance with wolves, you should've seen him call "Tango w/ 'Crazy Horse'".....not a pretty sight.....one 40 is designed to shitface the middle-aged or even mid-20's urban male, white college kids this is a dangerous game for.....plus you can't zip down your pants which is the first and most uncivil blow.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #432 on: June 10, 2007, 08:37:17 PM »

http://www.40ozmaltliquor.com/archive/crazyhorse.html
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #433 on: June 11, 2007, 07:29:33 AM »

It is nice to see Tom Davenport films on DVD,

http://www.davenportfilms.com/pages/main_behindthescenespage.html

but at $40 a pop, they aren't going to have a very high turnover.  I saw a couple of his films years ago at the Biograph in DC.  I finally remembered the name of the theatre, sgrobin.  Mutzmag and one other, which now eludes me.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #434 on: June 11, 2007, 10:52:05 AM »

I caught a little bit of "Axe" (alternate title = "Greed") last night.... WOW.  Remember when, after watching "Dazed And Confused", you were like, yeah, that Jason London guy is pretty good, I bet he'll have a good career, etc.  I can't remember if that was before or after "The Man In The Moon" with young Reese Witherspoon, but either way, there was a time when Jason London's prospects for an impressive career as a movie actor could be described as promising. 

"Axe" looks like an Andy Sidaris movie, except with half the production value.  It looks like what a movie would probably look like if the posters in this forum were given like $125,000 or so to make the movie ourselves. Of course, that's assuming no one here has ever held a camera or written a script or done anything related to making a movie.  If I'm wrong about that, then I take back that last statement. 

I couldn't even concentrate on the movie, because I just kept wondering what Jason London thinks about when he's reflecting on his career.  Hopefully he doesn't give a crap - hopefully he's just happy to be getting checks now and again, and never really aspired to be a bona fide movie star, etc.

Anyways, if there are any aspiring movie makers out there, wondering if you're ever going to get a shot at making your movie, then take heart - they made "Axe". 
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 304
  Print  

Jump to: