Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 26, 2018, 01:55:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 303
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 41111 times)
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #465 on: June 12, 2007, 01:37:24 PM »

Sorvino was really good in "Mimic;" no...wait I'm thinking of the bug and that clickety-clack sound that he made--now that guy was good.   Just when you think you've gotten away, "clackety-click," EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKK
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #466 on: June 12, 2007, 01:38:03 PM »

It seems that the supporting actor/actress goes to an up and coming talent (or not so talented) or someone who has been overlooked in better roles.
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #467 on: June 12, 2007, 01:42:50 PM »

"Some things just defy all logical explanation."

Not really, it's the creation of a commodity in a town where youth and good looks are routinely rewarded.  Now you have "Oscar Winner Cuba Gooding, Jr." or "Oscar Winner Marisa Tomei" or "Oscar Winner Mira Sorvino....."

Even though none have emerged as box-office draws and all are B-listers when you can't get somebody better, younger, cooler, or hotter from TV or whatever, they are all more attractive in a superficial way as something you can sell unlike Macy or Giamatti.  That's the logic anyway, I think.

That's my vaugely Marxist explanation which may or may not hold water.

Doesn't

Not close

The prettyboy (and gal) actress needs to be that much BETTER to get a nod.  Their looks work against them when those who judge judge their work.

I suppose it has happened here with you - or maybe you can tell us what you did not like about their Oscar-winning roles.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #468 on: June 12, 2007, 01:45:04 PM »

I know very little about wine but always drank Pinot Noir, and would drink any $10 bottle of Pinot Noir over however expensive however subtle a Merlot you offer.  That may make me an idiot about wine, but tastewise I've just liked Noirs more, and don't like Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio but like Sauvignon Blanc, I mean, I agree with the proposition that Pinot Noir tastes better, like some people prefer Coke over Pepsi, and vice-versa, but the idea that Noir makes you more of a wine aficianado is silly as is the assertion that I could show you a Merlot that would blow the doors off of the average Pinot Noir.  So stupid.

I used to know a guy who started, owned and ran a (legitimate) vineyard, and his take was  --  If you like a wine, it's good. Drink it and enjoy it. 
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #469 on: June 12, 2007, 01:54:45 PM »

Harrie, regarding

"Geez, I shoulda popped in Sideways last night."

Just don't pop it in sideways.  Hard on the machine.

I like a good Sauvignon Blanc.  I like a good Cabernet.  Though I don't think life is a Cabernet, old chum.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #470 on: June 12, 2007, 01:57:17 PM »

I like the chewy stuff -- Shiraz/Syrah, some Riojas.  And of course a cava for any ol' occasion.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #471 on: June 12, 2007, 02:00:21 PM »

I'm partial to Brunello myself.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #472 on: June 12, 2007, 02:10:02 PM »

I always thought Merlot was for people who didn't like Cabernet Sauvignon.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #473 on: June 12, 2007, 02:17:11 PM »

Part of "Sideways" is also that Giamatti's character uses the "sophistication" of wine consumption in a manner of denial regarding his alcoholism.  Giamatti said that he always assumed the guy he was playing was an alcoholic.

Similarly, I know beer snobs who sneer at my consumption of mainstream beer like "Bud Light" or "Miller Lite," they seem to think that if you consume Sierra Nevada Pale Ale you are demonstrating a willingness to spend money for something superior, but most are under no delusions about the purpose of any beer.

From my youth I learned that Natural Light is the beer with a taste for food, and, while I know that to only be a marketing slogan, I have always taken them at their word that Natural Light is an appropriate ale for any meal.  Strangely, not all restaurants carry that beer, out of ignorance I imagine.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #474 on: June 12, 2007, 08:36:28 PM »

I always thought Merlot was for people who didn't like Cabernet Sauvignon.

I would say merlot is for people that were drinking white zinfandel and then "heard" that drinking red wine was somehow more sophisticated (and God knows we need to be sophisticated) and therefore got herded over to Merlot...  Hence the strong put downs in sideways.  My earlier post was only to say yes, but, there are some really good Merlots out there also...don't throw the baby out with the bathwater...   I don't have a problem with people that actually "like" white zinfandel for that matter.

I agree with those that say drink what tastes good to you.  We're all entitled to our opinions...

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #475 on: June 12, 2007, 09:29:48 PM »

Yeah, or when they said red wine is good for you--but then they tell you to have two glasses when it's far easier just to drink the entire bottle, or two bottles if with company.  An aspirin and glass of water after an entire bottle of red wine or so should prevent the headache one often hears about from the over-consumption of red wine.  The over-indulgence will not have twice the cardiological benefits as I initially suspected, but was pleased to learn that the liver is a resilient organ that should be challenged regularly as scheduling permits.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #476 on: June 12, 2007, 09:35:06 PM »

Yeah, or when they said red wine is good for you--but then they tell you to have two glasses when it's far easier just to drink the entire bottle, or two bottles if with company.  An aspirin and glass of water after an entire bottle of red wine or so should prevent the headache one often hears about from the over-consumption of red wine.  The over-indulgence will not have twice the cardiological benefits as I initially suspected, but was pleased to learn that the liver is a resilient organ that should be challenged regularly as scheduling permits.

Smiley
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #477 on: June 12, 2007, 09:42:19 PM »

For those of you that like Pinot Noir (and I would include myself in that category), you might try a good Beaujolais some time.  This is typically a Gamay grape which is also a delicate, thin skinned grape.

Many share the same overall light bodied quality that Pinot drinkers seem to like.

Or, instead of domestic Pinot, find the Burgandy version--particularly from Cote-d'Or ...mmm...yummy

Hey, I guess we need a "Wine" section now ...we're getting off track of "movies"
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #478 on: June 12, 2007, 09:56:27 PM »

I like the Oregon and Washington Pinots which I just sample at random base on the appearance of the label--bold marketing not a plus--and the price, between $11-17 or so, ignorance about wine is fun for me because of the surprises and I don't care enough to care about the grape or the people involved in wine production and don't subscribe to "Wine Muncher" magazines and hate the guys at Gourmand.com and was banned from their chatroom.

Yeah, I always thought that the Louis-Jadot or the other common cheap Beaujolais were the best valued wines for recreational drinking, but lean towards something more substantial with hints of oak and apricot when dining, a wine that comes on like a saucy harlot and punches like a truckdriver, forget the label, when money is tight.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #479 on: June 12, 2007, 10:06:42 PM »

J

I think your approach is a great one.  My wife and I frequently go out and buy a bunch of bottles of reasonably priced wine that we have not tried before and then have blind taste tests.  For the winner, we go back and buy 6-12 bottles for later enjoyment when friends are over...
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 303
  Print  

Jump to: