Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 22, 2018, 04:32:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 304
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 53307 times)
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #480 on: June 12, 2007, 11:02:24 PM »

...a wine that comes on like a saucy harlot and punches like a truckdriver.... 

jbottle, If Gourmand.com really exists, and if you really were bounced from there, they're nuts.  Because right now, I really, really want to try that wine.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #481 on: June 12, 2007, 11:45:03 PM »

I don't know if one is a "beer snob" for preferring better beers, but when you taste a real Czech Budweiser, it is pretty hard to ever drink an American Bud or Bud Lite again, unless it is very, very cold. 
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #482 on: June 12, 2007, 11:48:41 PM »

But, speaking of funny beer movies,

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086373/
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #483 on: June 13, 2007, 12:47:13 AM »

I don't know if one is a "beer snob" for preferring better beers, but when you taste a real Czech Budweiser, it is pretty hard to ever drink an American Bud or Bud Lite again, unless it is very, very cold. 

Is this anything like our Weiss beer?  In summertime,you float a lemon slice on top, or pour the beer over a raspberry syrup.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #484 on: June 13, 2007, 02:07:31 AM »

I assume you are referring to Hefeweizen, or white beer, madupont, which is common in Central Europe.  I prefer pilsners myself.
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #485 on: June 13, 2007, 08:47:35 AM »

Gee, dzimas, somehow I always picture you drinking Kwas.

My days as a pinot drinker predate Sideways by a decade or so.  The thing to pay attention to is not the price or the vinyard, but where it is from.  Russian River, Santa Ynez, Willamette....  Cote d'or....

kid -

Cuba Gooding Jr.'s Oscar was for a one note charater any competent actor could have pulled off just as well, if not better.  That he beat out William H. Macy's great performance in Fargo is a sin. 

Except the Fargo people slummed Macy.  It should have been a lead.  I would have nominated Harve Presnell for Fargo, personally.  I've always loved that performance.  "Whatcha watching, Wade?" "Gophers.  Rrrrrr."

What does it matter?  All is grace.
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #486 on: June 13, 2007, 09:31:36 AM »

LOL

Yeah - anyone could have done Tidwell - heh.

Just not as perfect as Gooding - sorry.
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #487 on: June 13, 2007, 10:17:14 AM »

LOL

Gooding did nothing any competent actor couldn't've done, and a great actor could have done it better.  The performance defines average.

What does it matter?  All is grace.
kitinkaboodle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #488 on: June 13, 2007, 10:26:27 AM »

Cuba Gooding...about four years ago saw/ met him.  South Beach...having  lunch, at an outdoor cafe, really friendly, not one to avoid the public at all.  Very much a ham "on" and lovin' attention.  As an actor it seems he doesn't stray too much from who he is IMHO.

Don't dance on a volcano...
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #489 on: June 13, 2007, 10:46:51 AM »

You forget, whiskey, that Gooding was cast along side Tom Cruise, which made him look even better.  I loved the look on Tom's face when he lost out to Geoffrey Rush.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #490 on: June 13, 2007, 10:48:56 AM »

I assume you are referring to Hefeweizen, or white beer, madupont, which is common in Central Europe.  I prefer pilsners myself.

That is a question that recently came up at another venue when discussing European politics and society. Although the old rules may apply to imports of what we imbibe, where are the boundaries any more to the European Union?

I was tempted to refer to weiss beer as a "pilsner", when asking my question since you had been referring to a Czech beer; how would you describe the differences among all three categorically?  When familiar with the water brewing the American product, I have always avoided drinking the big names that made the beer barons wealthy and gave them lovely homes which I appreciate historically.

Our preference was to go for the small upper mid-state brewery because we preferred to drink Augsburger at home. The recipe came along with the peasants when they emigrated in the 1800s but their recipe went back to 400 years earlier.   The braumeister took one look at the rushing waters available and said it was time to get out the kettles.

West of the Rhine, along the Moselle is our conventional summer white wine the Piesporter Michelsberg,later Sp├Ątlese (which Thomas Jefferson found out about in 1778)and Auslese in the Palatinate.

kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #491 on: June 13, 2007, 10:51:47 AM »

LOL

Gooding did nothing any competent actor couldn't've done, and a great actor could have done it better.  The performance defines average.

Critics of course say you're dead wrong.  But don't let this stop ya.

Entire movie brilliantly cast.  Lipnicki......Regina King.................all of em except maybe O'Connell, but he was passable as "Cush".
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #492 on: June 13, 2007, 10:54:05 AM »

Gee, dzimas, somehow I always picture you drinking Kwas.

My days as a pinot drinker predate Sideways by a decade or so.  The thing to pay attention to is not the price or the vinyard, but where it is from.  Russian River, Santa Ynez, Willamette....  Cote d'or....

or my personal favorite... The Carneros region of Napa Valley.  For my taste there is no finer region in the US
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #493 on: June 13, 2007, 10:54:54 AM »

Alexander Valley also gets a lot of play, but I'm still not there yet...
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #494 on: June 13, 2007, 10:57:21 AM »

But, speaking of funny beer movies,

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086373/

Yes that was a funny movie in its day.   For Canadian overkill humor though, I think I prefer the one where the guys sneak up over to invade Canada...can't think of the title now...  Any help?
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 304
  Print  

Jump to: