Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 23, 2018, 10:53:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 300
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 34240 times)
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #495 on: June 13, 2007, 11:02:53 AM »

Maddie, hefeweizens use wheat as their base, whereas lagers use malted barley. Wheat beers also have a different fermentation process and tend to taste fresher.  Pilsners add rice or corn to lighten the barley taste, giving them a crisper taste.  The true Pilsners come from Pilsen in the Czech Republic, although a lot of beers have co-opted the title.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #496 on: June 13, 2007, 11:04:10 AM »

Any help?

Canadian Bacon
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #497 on: June 13, 2007, 12:09:51 PM »

......Regina King...

Regina King is money in the bank.  I just saw her in "Year Of The Dog" and you just can't take your eyes off of the screen when she's on it.  It's not her beauty (although she is very beautiful) - it's just that she's very good.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #498 on: June 13, 2007, 12:16:31 PM »

Maddie, hefeweizens use wheat as their base, whereas lagers use malted barley. Wheat beers also have a different fermentation process and tend to taste fresher.  Pilsners add rice or corn to lighten the barley taste, giving them a crisper taste.  The true Pilsners come from Pilsen in the Czech Republic, although a lot of beers have co-opted the title.

Thanks! i needed that, "Refresher course".
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #499 on: June 13, 2007, 12:29:27 PM »

Critics of course say you're dead wrong. 

I thought "Jerry Maguire" was excruciating, but a lot of people liked it, so WDIK?

The whole Cameron Crowe unctuousness really turns my stomach, from:

The scene in "Say Anything" when "In Your Eyes" is playing on the car radio with Ione Skye and John Cusack sitting in the back of the car, and she whispers to him, "Listen to the woooorrrrds....," (oh, thanks for the reminder Mr. Crowe, you're right, now that I'm listening to the words of the song, this scene is really powerful)

to

The group-song scene in "Almost Famous", in which they sing "Tiny Dancer"

to

Any frame you pick from "Jerry Maguire", but none moreso than the neck-injury scene during the football game.  Rod Tidwell catches the touchdown pass and gets hit in the process, and lands on his back and lays motionless while the nation watches in horror and they bring out the stretchers and everyone thinks he's paralyzed, then after we get that for a while, he jumps up and starts doing backflips and everyone cheers, etc.   Ummm, no.  If a football player faked a neck injury just for dramatic effect, to punctuate how happy he is to have scored a touchdown, no, that would not be good, that would not be something to cheer for.  However, in Cameron Crowe-world, it's perfect and something we can all agree is heartwarming, etc.

Anyways, that, combined with my being blown away by William H. Macy in "Fargo", adds up to me not thinking much of the Gooding performance in "Jerry Maguire", but that's just my perception.  I guess I'm just plain dead wrong about all of it, since critics generally liked "Jerry Maguire" and Gooding's performance in it, but oh well.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #500 on: June 13, 2007, 12:48:53 PM »

Canadian Bacon

that's the one...  much more creative than Strange brew
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #501 on: June 13, 2007, 01:04:45 PM »

Maybe, but I liked Strange Brew better.  You know that Bacon was directed by Michael Moore?
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #502 on: June 13, 2007, 01:05:45 PM »

yes, on the flip side of the one-dimensional conversation we wer all having earlier...

William H Macy is a fantastic character actor.

or how about Gary Oldman?  THere is a guy that has phenomenal range and doesn't seem to get that much recognition.

Or Philip Seymore Hoffman is a guy that I also think is terrific -- but since he has now received the Oscar, you can't exactly call him underrated...   But, you watch State & Main, then Along Came Polly, then Capote (and even Mission Impossible III) and you can't help but go "wow" at the range...
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #503 on: June 13, 2007, 01:07:44 PM »

I thought "Jerry Maguire" was excruciating, but a lot of people liked it, so WDIK?

I couldn't stand the movie either.
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #504 on: June 13, 2007, 01:08:40 PM »

Or Magnolia.  Hoffman's also going to be in the upcoming movie I second most want to see: Synecdoche, New York.

What does it matter?  All is grace.
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #505 on: June 13, 2007, 01:09:29 PM »

I couldn't stand the movie either.
Not high on my list either, but I admit an intense dislike for the porcine-faced lead actress.

What does it matter?  All is grace.
kitinkaboodle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #506 on: June 13, 2007, 01:14:17 PM »

P. Hoffman also made the "Ripley" movie all that more entertaining. 
Why Porcine was cast as Beatrix Potter is a mystery.  Cold Mountain was another movie that certainly didn't benefit from her performance, and didn't she get an Oscar for that?

Don't dance on a volcano...
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #507 on: June 13, 2007, 01:26:14 PM »

Jerry MacGuire was the only movie I ever liked Renee Zellweger in actually...   I don't care for her much , but somehow I thought she was well suited for that role...
kitinkaboodle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #508 on: June 13, 2007, 01:35:30 PM »

I do agree...and as much as Chicago was reputed to have been extremely "edited"  her dancing/performance wasn't too awful, though she was a Texas (?) cheerleader back in the day...

Don't dance on a volcano...
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #509 on: June 13, 2007, 01:39:42 PM »

Yeah, Jerry MacGwyer sucked.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 300
  Print  

Jump to: