Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 23, 2018, 05:05:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 300
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 34161 times)
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #510 on: June 13, 2007, 01:48:22 PM »

Whiskey...I didn't bother you with that Patrick Wayne quote about being a lawyer earlier did I?

It was just a comedy...
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #511 on: June 13, 2007, 01:57:54 PM »

Cold Mountain had little to go on, given the book was such a bore. 
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #512 on: June 13, 2007, 02:17:40 PM »

P. Hoffman also made the "Ripley" movie all that more entertaining. 
Why Porcine was cast as Beatrix Potter is a mystery.  Cold Mountain was another movie that certainly didn't benefit from her performance, and didn't she get an Oscar for that?

I would agree about this being one of Philip Seymour Hoffman's better roles. Until, I saw the John Malkovich version of Ripley from a European point of view. I always say that I'm going to read the Patricia  Highsmith books but then I never do.

At one time I told Whiskey that the most impressive Hoffman performance was in a film that I think was actually made for tv, in which, Paul Newman plays the fool and Ed Harris, son of a fool, known as: Empire Falls.

Hoffman's role was very sensitively done about a man who would have used to be said to have "sensibilities".

So, there's another book that I have to read. Considerably more contemporary.

Do you recall the title of the film in which Hoffman played opposite a homophobic Robert De Niro  who needs not voice-training(which is what  his neighbour Hoffman teaches him) but I suppose what would be called "vocal therapy"  possibly after a stroke(?) to regain his speaking capability ?
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #513 on: June 13, 2007, 02:23:01 PM »

Flawless.

What does it matter?  All is grace.
kitinkaboodle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #514 on: June 13, 2007, 02:39:33 PM »

Empire Falls Hoffman was truly a gem there, again.  And, I also viewed Malkovich's Ripley, but did not find that movie (as a whole as)particularly appealing, though Malkovich's edgy performance was outstanding...

Don't dance on a volcano...
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #515 on: June 13, 2007, 02:49:47 PM »

BRANDT
                         Mr. Lebowski is prepared to make a
                         generous offer to you to act as
                         courier, once we get instructions for
                         the money.

DUDE
                         Why me, man?

BRANDT
                         He believes that the culprits might
                         be the very people who, uhhh, "soiled"
                         your rug, and you're in a unique
                         position to confirm or disconfirm
                         that suspicion.

DUDE
                         He thinks the carpet-pissers did this?

BRANDT
                         Well Dude, we just don't know.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #516 on: June 13, 2007, 03:39:19 PM »

I think this is the fifth vote for finding Jerry Maguire to be a frothy pile of vomit.  (Though personally, I have nothing against Ms. Zellwegger.  She had a really nice dog she used to take everywhere with her ('til he passed away, I believe), so she can't be all bad. IMHO anyway.)

Also of use when choosing a wine -- if the blurb on the back of the label is all about the sunset over the vineyard, the loons in the nearby lake, or the proprietor's three adorable children, keep looking.  Try for a label that mentions old vines or actually talks about the wine, growing conditions, vineyard location, vintner's credentials, etc.  Just .02 from this wino.

This concludes catch-up mode.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #517 on: June 13, 2007, 05:43:47 PM »

She did have a sweetness that came through in that movie even if the whole thing seemed contrived and ultimately worthless.  It seems like such an accident that she would somehow rocket to super-stardom, I mean, she seems like such a shrinking violet, she must wonder sometimes how the hell she got $30M.   Good old Ben never wondered too hard, and as calculated a move as "Good Will Hunting" was, he never giggled, just kept the blinders on and kept cashing the checks, no prob.  It was a complete and total bust out of the star system, well, no, I'll say brilliantly excectuted.  Say what you like about Damon's relative intelligence about building a career without embarassments, it was a far riskier move financially, but also has worked out just fine.  Affleck is also smart but depending on how you look at it, either fearless or riddled with insecurity that this next movie would be the flop that revealed the scam, the point was to get the money, and he did that like a pro.  I only wonder if he's stupid enough to blow the entire war chest on a run for Governor of Mass./Penn., I forget which.
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #518 on: June 13, 2007, 06:17:05 PM »

I think this is the fifth vote for finding Jerry Maguire to be a frothy pile of vomit.  (Though personally, I have nothing against Ms. Zellwegger.  She had a really nice dog she used to take everywhere with her ('til he passed away, I believe), so she can't be all bad. IMHO anyway.)

Also of use when choosing a wine -- if the blurb on the back of the label is all about the sunset over the vineyard, the loons in the nearby lake, or the proprietor's three adorable children, keep looking.  Try for a label that mentions old vines or actually talks about the wine, growing conditions, vineyard location, vintner's credentials, etc.  Just .02 from this wino.

This concludes catch-up mode.

5 idiots

Just like the Bush boards.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #519 on: June 13, 2007, 06:51:13 PM »

It's funny that political discussions used to lead to name calling...

now it seems that name calling leads to political discussion...  I've seen it a few times in the last couple of weeks by different people here in various topics.

Apparently if someone has a different opinion than you about anything, it must make them a conservative (or a liberal--whichever is the opposite of the respondent) also.

people are just different and they are always going to have different opinions about various issues.  Sometimes those people will feel the same as you on some subjects and sometimes they will feel differently than you on others. 

That's why there is so much grey in life...and not just black and white.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #520 on: June 13, 2007, 07:17:02 PM »

5 idiots

Just like the Bush boards.

I'm flattered.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #521 on: June 14, 2007, 12:09:21 AM »

Remember when Damon and Affleck were going to re-invent the way we look at movies and create their on "dreamworks" production?
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #522 on: June 14, 2007, 12:13:52 AM »

I remember Affleck donning the first superhero suit available to him and not making the same mistake Baldwin did with the Clancy series.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #523 on: June 14, 2007, 09:33:49 AM »

And then Jude Law asked Matt Damon, "Do you even really like jeyazz?"

Of course you've (you royal you've, the editorial) got to be an idiot not to like "Jerry Maguire", but how does that fit in to The Bush Boards?  Is not liking "Jerry Maguire" the equivalent of not liking Bush, in terms of being an indicator of idiocy?  Or maybe it's the other way around?  Or is it more like "Yeah, I live in a blue/red state, but I still liked/hated 'Jerry Maguire'..."?
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #524 on: June 14, 2007, 10:01:38 AM »

Oil, how'd you like Year of the Dog, overall?  (or in your overalls, if you find them more comfortable)  I'm seeing it at the U. film theater tonight, but maybe seeing Knocked Up instead depending on whim, caprice, and so on.

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 300
  Print  

Jump to: