Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 23, 2018, 12:14:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 304
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 53367 times)
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #525 on: June 14, 2007, 10:07:48 AM »

I saw "YOTD" and liked it a lot, but then again I liked "Chuck & Buck", another Mike White-written movie that a lot of people hated, and everyone in the world seems to love "Knocked Up" (and everyone in the world loved "T40YOV" which I thought was okay but not great), so who knows? 

Either way, report back to us as soon as it's done.

Bart
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #526 on: June 14, 2007, 10:09:48 AM »

I might stop and get an ice cream first.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #527 on: June 14, 2007, 10:33:36 AM »

On repeat viewings, the three buddies steal the show, yeah the third act of T40YOV deteriorates into the inevitable date-movie mechanics and goes on a little too long, but with "Wedding Crashers" I thought it was one of the two funniest movies of 2005.  Oh, and the third act is redeemed by the "Age of Aquarius" credit sequence, just great.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #528 on: June 14, 2007, 10:58:10 AM »

Yeah, I don't bash "T40YOV" or anything.  It was funny, no doubt about it.  I just mean in terms of "yeah it made me think, etc.," I liked "Chuck & Buck" and "YOTD" more.  And I know, hey, it's a comedy, you're not supposed to think, and that's true, but still. 

And also that's not to suggest that there's any reason for me to compare "T40YV" to "C&B" or "YOTD" other than Barton asking for an opinion on whether he should see "Knocked Up" versus "YOTD".
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #529 on: June 14, 2007, 11:09:36 AM »

I might stop and get an ice cream first.

"Later on we'll get Ice Cream"

Hobson in the original "Arthur"
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #530 on: June 14, 2007, 11:12:02 AM »

I'll probably take a beating for bringing this one up, but did anyone watch the film version of "The Importance of Being Ernest" a few years back?

We watched it with four generations of family and everyone enjoyed it (even though for different reasons).  There aren't that many movies you can do that with anymore...
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #531 on: June 14, 2007, 11:56:59 AM »

Actually, if that's Ernest as in "Hey, Vern..." -- well, count me in as a fan of Jim Varney, if not always of Ernest.
peloux

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #532 on: June 14, 2007, 02:32:51 PM »

>>>I would agree about this being one of Philip Seymour Hoffman's better roles. Until, I saw the John Malkovich version of Ripley from a European point of view. I always say that I'm going to read the Patricia  Highsmith books but then I never do.

I liked "Talented Mr Ripley" so much I went for the book and found it immensely disappointing. A very straightforward but bland style. Highsmith's original story is simpler. Minghella spiced it up quite a bit, adding the characters Meredith and Peter Smith-Kingsley as well as giving us a jazzier ending. (Actually, there is a Peter Smith-Kingsley who is barely mentioned in the novel. Minghella borrowed the name for a brand new character).
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #533 on: June 14, 2007, 03:09:35 PM »

I'll probably take a beating for bringing this one up, but did anyone watch the film version of "The Importance of Being Ernest" a few years back?

We watched it with four generations of family and everyone enjoyed it (even though for different reasons).  There aren't that many movies you can do that with anymore...

Okay, my bad.  You mean the movie of the Oscar Wilde play, don't you?  No reason to expect a beatin' for watching that, I would think.

Last night we caught most of the remake of Assault on Precinct 13.  It was pretty good, but I'll bet Carpenter's original, which I have not (yet) seen, is better.  Words can not do justice to how much I can't stand Ethan Hawke; yet, I didn't hate him in this one, and could actually bear to watch while he was on screen.  The bad thing -- I called Brian Dennehy for a villain right off the bat and ruined it for the hubby.  Who, by the way, owes an apology to Kate Winslet because he thought Drea DeMatteo was a hagged-out KW (hagged out on purpose, for effect).  I was like "you can't hag anyone out that much, especially KW."  Anyway, despite AoP13 not being the original Carpenter, I'd still call it adequate and give it a thumbs up, especially for being on basic cable (FX, I think).

TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #534 on: June 14, 2007, 08:30:13 PM »

Harrie

You're giving us far too much ammunition with that latest photo you've put up...   Smiley
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #535 on: June 14, 2007, 08:57:19 PM »

Hey, he who smelt it....I didn't use to be harriebutz for nothin' ya know!  Or, to clarify, I think a horse's posterior is a thing of beauty.  Anyone wants to compare me to one, g'head, not a problem.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 09:36:27 PM by harrie » Logged
Bart
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #536 on: June 15, 2007, 10:04:03 AM »

Saw The Last King of Scotland and was wowed, disturbed, etc.  James McEvoy seemed very Dustin Hoffman-esque.  Now deciding whether or not to do the full tour of the Rule of Two and see Hotel Rwanda.

Passed on Year of the Dog.  Read Manola Dhargis review and, not that a review would impede me, but her synopsis alerted me to the dog-dies plot and the whole barrel o' puppies/animal rights/vegan drollery.  I can't take any more.

kitinkaboodle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #537 on: June 15, 2007, 10:12:40 AM »

My .02 on Hotel R. &  Scotland?  Personally, thought Hotel was the better movie.  Scotland?  Other than the Oscar winning performance?  Just seemed a bit thrown together...

Don't dance on a volcano...
Bart
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #538 on: June 15, 2007, 10:23:06 AM »

LKoS ---yeah, the opening part with Gillian Anderson and the country clinic seemed to detach from the rest of the film -- it was like they tossed in that bus window shot of her later in the film as a kind of plot bandaid.  But, generally, I found it fairly compelling and the acting uniformly high quality.

Eva

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #539 on: June 15, 2007, 10:33:09 AM »

hhmm, yeah, I'll grant you that re: the acting.  And it was good to see G. Anderson...  Been awhile since I saw the movie, but there seemed to be just too many scenes that were somehow dis-jointed.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 304
  Print  

Jump to: