Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 16, 2018, 07:46:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 304
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 52575 times)
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #555 on: June 17, 2007, 11:44:59 AM »

There were drugs, but there were no neo-nazis or Irish terrorists, AFAICT. 

If anyone who has seen "Patti Rocks" does see "Harsh Times", please report - I know my analogy seems facetious or droll (consider the source!!), but I swear, as I was watching it, I couldn't help thinking, wow, this guy (the writer-director) must have really liked "Patti Rocks" a lot.   
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 11:52:37 AM by oilcanboyd23 » Logged
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #556 on: June 17, 2007, 01:15:49 PM »

Reply #560  Jbottle

I was tempted. So, I just have to borrow what either samiinh or, our moderator(?) seems to say now and again:

"Thank you.  We're all refreshed and challenged by your unique point of view."

That is because my son is a personal trainer.
bartolomeo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #557 on: June 17, 2007, 01:18:11 PM »

"After some light calisthenics, I tore open the Netflix envelope...."

Yeah, what is up with that little sticky circle they fold over the two sides of the Netflix envelope, which makes opening at least three times more labor than it would be otherwise?  I usually do a little qiqong or tai chai, get the arms and delts and latissimus dorsi loosened a bit, and then go hunt for the letter opener (or if that's MIA, a paring knife) and slit that sucker open.  You can't just tear the thing open without doing damage to your return portion of the envelope, unless you have a master's degree in origami or maybe fly-tying.

I'll check out Harsh Times, but no promises.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #558 on: June 17, 2007, 08:16:48 PM »

After a number of jumping-jacks and somersaults, I enjoyed some light afternoon fare, a bit of cheese, an apple, and 9 Bud Lights.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #559 on: June 17, 2007, 11:00:12 PM »

"Fantastic Floor" has just been greenlighted by Fox Searchlight.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #560 on: June 18, 2007, 08:25:22 AM »

"Knocked Up" has a lot of funny jokes, there's no denying it.  Paul Rudd delivers many of them, as does Leslie Mann and the guy who plays the girl's boss at E! Network (he was the pirate in the dodgeball movie), as do many other cast members.

Notwithstanding the many funny jokes, "KU" is horrible.  I saw it last night, and it still makes me queasy just thinking about it now.  The whole idea of okay, here's this pretty, smart, successful girl, and she hooks up with this fat, ugly loser... it's just disgusting.  And I know the whole point is, well, he's really sweet, and his character changes in the story, and he becomes more responsible and blahblahblah - no, he is an a**hole, and a fat, ugly loser, and it's just not funny at all. 

I have nothing against fat, ugly losers - I mean, I AM one and I'm sure most of the other posters here are, too, to some degree.  But just because there are fat ugly losers in the world, and just because, for whatever reason, they occasionally hook up with smart pretty girls, doesn't mean it's material for a movie, especially when the fat, ugly loser isn't even a nice person. 

All of the scenes involving the fat guy and the pretty girl (especially the sex scenes - ugh) are just horrendous, and there are even a few clanger scenes that don't even involve them.  The guy is a slacker who hangs out with his slacker friends and they talk about movies all the time (shocker!), and in one scene the fat guy talks about (brace yourself for this)... The Rule of 2's.   I know, I know - I almost puked right then and there. 

They have a naked movie star reference web site (kind of like www.cndb.com), and they discover that there's another web site offering the same services.  At first they are dismayed, then the fat guy says, hey, this isn't so bad, everything comes in twos, I mean there's "Volcano" and "Dante's Peak", "Armageddon" and "Deep Impact", etc.  Come on people, just because it plays on the NYT Film Forum doesn't mean it's a joke fit for a movie!

Judd Apatow is no Cameron Crowe, thank goodness, but he's close enough to be avoided.  I thought "T40YOV" was okay, pretty funny, etc., and "Knocked Up" had many good jokes and a few great ones, but "KU" was generally so disgusting that I must avoid any further Apatow exposure.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 08:30:31 AM by oilcanboyd23 » Logged
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #561 on: June 18, 2007, 09:26:21 AM »

But just because there are fat ugly losers in the world, and just because, for whatever reason, they occasionally hook up with smart pretty girls, doesn't mean it's material for a movie, especially when the fat, ugly loser isn't even a nice person. 

Unless the fat, ugly loser is a writer and/or director.

The guy is a slacker who hangs out with his slacker friends and they talk about movies all the time (shocker!), and in one scene the fat guy talks about (brace yourself for this)... The Rule of 2's.   I know, I know - I almost puked right then and there. 

They have a naked movie star reference web site (kind of like www.cndb.com), and they discover that there's another web site offering the same services.  At first they are dismayed, then the fat guy says, hey, this isn't so bad, everything comes in twos, I mean there's "Volcano" and "Dante's Peak", "Armageddon" and "Deep Impact", etc.  Come on people, just because it plays on the NYT Film Forum doesn't mean it's a joke fit for a movie!

Wow, Apatow should pay you and jbottle royalties; that sounds almost verbatim like some of your observations.
bartolomeo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #562 on: June 18, 2007, 10:20:24 AM »

Oilcan, thanks for talking me off the Knocked Up ledge.  Regarding...

"I have nothing against fat, ugly losers - I mean, I AM one and I'm sure most of the other posters here are, too, to some degree."

Speaking metaphorically, perhaps.   Le conditione humaine, and all that.  Quando omnia vincit, moritati!

(when all else fails, play dead...)

Jbottle --- re 9 Bud Lights...just drink 4 good German ales, you get the same buzz, and you don't slosh when you move.

oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #563 on: June 18, 2007, 10:55:57 AM »

Oilcan, thanks for talking me off the Knocked Up ledge.  Regarding...

Again, it's funny, there's no denying that.  Every single actor in it is spot-on and great, especially the executive at E! Network. None of that is to be dismissed, and everyone loves the movie, it's a big hit, so that speaks for itself.  I found the basic idea of the movie to be distateful, but that's just me, maybe I'm just a prude or a wuss or whatever you call it, in the parlance of our times, etc., so don't let my ramblings stop you from enjoying what is, by all accounts except for yours truly's, an enjoyable movie.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 10:57:43 AM by oilcanboyd23 » Logged
bartolomeo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #564 on: June 18, 2007, 11:03:01 AM »

Don't misunderstand.  I was leaning towards another film, so I would have found a reason to reject KU no matter who rambled upon it.  The basic theme is not one that appeals to me, no matter how well done. 

To put it baldly, the recent trend in comedy towards stories where people find a way to do the right thing and be happy is profoundly disturbing.  If I had heard about KU, say,

"...by the end, the FUL (fat ugly loser) finds himself in a South American prison, sleeping with lizards, and hallucinating the Radiator Lady from 'Eraserhead'  from breathing toxic mold spores...." 

I might have perked up a bit.

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #565 on: June 18, 2007, 01:26:48 PM »

"The Rule of 2's, huh..." so closely on the heels of "Sunshine" and bringing up the distant memory of "Spring Break Lawyer" produced by MTV (I'm convinced that I told so many people my pitch for "Spring Break Attorney" that it was co-opted...), it's going to be death by a thousand blows.

They didn't acually say "Rule of 2's," did they oil?  That would be too, too cruel a cut.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #566 on: June 18, 2007, 01:40:31 PM »

They didn't acually say "Rule of 2's," did they oil?  That would be too, too cruel a cut.

They didn't, but they might as well have.

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #567 on: June 18, 2007, 01:41:53 PM »

Nontheless I bleed.....damn you fates!!!
lulu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #568 on: June 18, 2007, 02:50:14 PM »

Oily:

Glad to see you again.  How's Ravenous?  Seen it lately?

Grin
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #569 on: June 18, 2007, 04:54:18 PM »

"Knocked Up" has a lot of funny jokes, there's no denying it.  Paul Rudd delivers many of them,

I forgot to mention this earlier -- is it me, or is Paul Rudd the go to guy for supporting role male, comedy? AKA "the best friend" usually.  I'm not complaining, I usually enjoy Rudd's work whatever he does; but -- and maybe it's just because T40YOV and KU are by the same guy and all -- I feel like I'm always seeing him in the same role lately.  Of course, I see him in this role on commercials, because G-d forbid I actually go see a new realease....but anyway, jut something I noticed. May or may not be a valid observation. 

Is it weird that Paul McCartney and Roger Ebert were born on exactly the same day?
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 304
  Print  

Jump to: