Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 21, 2018, 05:43:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 303
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 38700 times)
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #570 on: June 18, 2007, 06:29:52 PM »

Paul Rudd is a comic genius, and he's a guy that could be making a lot more money doing awful TV work; I think he's kind of crafted that career where he gets to be really funny and steal the show most of the time, but he knows he can't really hold a gun and he's not going to pretend to be as charming as Hugh Grant pretends to be--he seems like the kind of guy where the sky is the limit and he would rather hit a bullseye from 15 ft. than shoot at one from 100 yds. where even if he misses entirely, to mix a metaphor, it would pay a lot more.  I think he's in a very enviable position in terms of a career, I think he's kind of the half-generation heir to the throne of Gary Cole, not that they are the same type or anything, but that they could be funny in about anything, when required.  While Rudd may fall victim to the romantic comedy roles and Cole the occasional heavy, both seem most at home with easy, understated comedy, and both, when onscreen in something funny, are hard to take your eyes off because they are stars.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #571 on: June 18, 2007, 06:44:20 PM »

...I think he's kind of the half-generation heir to the throne of Gary Cole...

Very nice!!
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #572 on: June 18, 2007, 06:48:35 PM »

How's Ravenous? 

I liked "Ravenous" a lot.  It's "Interview With The Vampire" meets "F Troop", with a whacko score by Michael Nyman and Damon Albarn.   There are many good things about the movie (about any of which I could post a few thousand word posts), none better than the performance of Guy Pearce in the lead.

Little known fact:  "Ravenous" was actually my inspiration for my "oilcanboyd" handle - Guy Pearce's character's name is Capt. Boyd.  I had just seen "Ravenous" when I registered for the NYT Film Forum, and it seemed like a nice name.   
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #573 on: June 18, 2007, 06:52:18 PM »

...and maybe it's just because T40YOV and KU are by the same guy and all...

Actually, Paul Rudd's character in "KU" is married with kids and successful in business, as opposed to the single guy who can't get over the old girlfriend thing in "T40YOV".  In "KU", he's married to the sister (the always competent Leslie Mann - loved her in "The Cable Guy") of the female lead, and you think he's going to be mean to the fat ugly guy but as it turns out they like each other and get along well, etc.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #574 on: June 18, 2007, 07:12:43 PM »

"Is it weird that Paul McCartney and Roger Ebert were born on exactly the same day?"

I can see that. Kind of like Father and Son.   Can't picture where they lived though. I think the only historic household information, I ever had was John Lennon's mother's kitchen; which did away with the rumor that they were really very rich bastards who just put on their basic origins.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #575 on: June 18, 2007, 10:26:28 PM »

Yeah, Leslie Mann is in the running for most fun girl in the universe, just to be that pretty, and that funny, is very, very, rare:  She is th'bom.

I think that the score for "Ravenous" is critical for whether you dismiss or like the film:  If you are transfixed and fascinated by it, for whatever reason, you love the film without reservation, if not, you might accidentally dismiss it as a one off.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #576 on: June 18, 2007, 10:43:02 PM »

And you'll find that the guy who trashed "Ravenous" at theonion.com... no longer works at theonion.com.

Ebert actually did a nice review of "Ravenous" - he got it, etc.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #577 on: June 18, 2007, 11:46:04 PM »

Very nice!!

Actually, I think he meant Gary Coleman...and just got interupted while typing
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #578 on: June 19, 2007, 12:50:01 AM »

I like the spirit if not the substance of the retort, I was always more of a "Diff'rent Stokes" purist, and a fan of Conrad Bain for being a good sport.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #579 on: June 19, 2007, 07:55:46 AM »

Very nice!!

Actually, I think he meant Gary Coleman...and just got interupted while typing

Actually, there is clearly only one half-generation heir to the throne of Gary Coleman, i.e., ubiquitous cute little guy, infectious smile:

http://imdb.com/name/nm0000129/

« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 07:58:06 AM by oilcanboyd23 » Logged
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #580 on: June 19, 2007, 10:13:07 AM »

Re

"I liked "Ravenous" a lot.  It's "Interview With The Vampire" meets "F Troop"....

Now there is a description you just don't hear every day.  Interesting trivium about "Boyd."  I always liked the double meaning, in the baseball world, of calling a pitcher "Oilcan" -- i.e. he likes his beer, or he likes to lube up the baseball, a la early 20th century baseball when it was rumored that an actual oilcan, containing a petroleum-based lubricant, was used for this purpose.  Though I have to wonder just where you would conceal it, up there on the mound...

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #581 on: June 19, 2007, 10:25:54 AM »

Interesting trivium...

I've never thought about that before, but now that I have, I'm surprised that I haven't.

I've known for a while the whole thing about "trivia" = "three roads" = the Romans would put up an information-sign wherever three roads met, etc., and we've taken that word to mean "little known facts" or whatever.   If that's the case, then maybe you can't say "trivium" is the singular of "trivia" like "datum" is to "data" or whatever, or maybe you can, I don't know.

Anyways, I strongly recommend "Ravenous" to anyone, and if anyone has any questions, comments or thoughts/feelings about the movie that they'd like to share, you'll find me to be pretty knowledgable on the subject.  My estimated number of "Ravenous" viewings is 23, of which 7 are beginning-to-end viewings.

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #582 on: June 19, 2007, 10:39:36 AM »

I think you're right that trivia can't be made singular because there are, as you said, three roads meeting.  And there are also many words that end with "us" that aren't really Latin, so you can't make them plural by tacking an "i" on the end.  For example, several members of the Andre Dubus (author of "House of Sand and Fog") family cannot be called "Dubi."

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #583 on: June 19, 2007, 11:19:27 AM »

Perhaps, trivium are all those things you couldn't be bothered to go into; whereas trivia was what somebody else thought you ought to know about.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #584 on: June 19, 2007, 01:31:18 PM »

Cruise's bio lists him at 5' 7", which, if true would make me Manute Bol.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 303
  Print  

Jump to: