Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 21, 2018, 05:29:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 304
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 53099 times)
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #585 on: June 20, 2007, 01:57:08 AM »

In the case of Cruise, that would be Minute Bol.  I noticed that in many of his pictures with Kidman, she was either sitting or crouching.  Seems like he has a hang-up over this height thing.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #586 on: June 20, 2007, 02:10:51 AM »

I finally got around to seeing that very odd movie,Little Children, with the guy who played opposite Meryl Streep (and many others, for that matter) in --Angels in America.    Did anybody else see this?   What a waste of Kate Winslet.
Detective_Winslow

Don't forget to bring a towel!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #587 on: June 20, 2007, 02:23:25 AM »

I hear that movie is exclusively for fags.

I hope that I haven't offended anyone.
kitinkaboodle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #588 on: June 20, 2007, 08:18:58 AM »

Saw American Splendor last night.  Never knew comics were such a big thing for (some) adults...   
Thanks to WP.  Would have missed out on this engaging indie otherwise.

Don't dance on a volcano...
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #589 on: June 20, 2007, 08:58:24 AM »

Now that you've seen American Splendor, you should check out Crumb:

http://www.amazon.com/Crumb-Special-Robert/dp/B000ELL1RG/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-5791205-4542015?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1182344259&sr=1-1
kitinkaboodle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #590 on: June 20, 2007, 09:35:07 AM »

Thanks, Diz!  I see that it's available in "instant watch" thru Netflix...looks intriguing as well.

Don't dance on a volcano...
BorisBartenov
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #591 on: June 20, 2007, 10:23:52 AM »

American Splendor is a rare and splendid film.  Opened up a whole interesting different world for me --- what great film is supposed to do.

Just watched the DVD of The Fountain, a disappointment if you like Aronofsky.  It has his trademark jazz-like repetitions of a motif over and over through the (barely discernible) narrative, and some visual inventiveness (future astronaut traveling to Orion in a giant glass xmas tree ornament, passing the time with doses of tree bark and tattooing himself), but it's a godawful sloppy mess trying to blend Mayan myth, the spanish inquisition (weren't expecting THAT, were you?), modern medical research, and some baroque new agey future.  Recommended only for conquistadors-on-crack.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #592 on: June 20, 2007, 01:04:27 PM »

I'll tilt just about anything on beer.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #593 on: June 20, 2007, 07:09:28 PM »

May watch "Smoking Aces" if not poker on the Travel Channel tonight:  The sigboth is in Sin City cranking out pool drinks w/silicone girls and their meatmen.  Would love nothing more than to be drinking Scotch Rocks and turning blackjack cards for a couple of hours to limber up the mind.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #594 on: June 20, 2007, 08:09:20 PM »

The sigboth is in Sin City cranking out pool drinks w/silicone girls and their meatmen. 

I don't know what this means.  I am not sure I want to know what this means.

So I just watched the trailer for the remake of 3:10 to Yuma (starring [the overrated] R. Crowe, Christian Bale) -- IIRC, it has a lot more action than the original.  Which may or may not be a bad thing.  But I recall the original being a suspense/drama thing, and the western setting was almost incidental.  Then again, I've only seen the original 2-3 times, and not in the last five minutes or anything. 

The remake is definitely a Western (yes, with a capital W), with glaringly period clothes, haircuts, sets, etc.  Which may not necessarily detract from the film; but to me it seems kinda like overkill. But it seems to be the thing to do -- remake a classic, which was fine in its own right -- but go crazy on details, add some car chases, really amp it up.  Whereas the story of 3:10 to Yuma, as I understand it, isn't a big story; it's the story of a (figuratively) little guy who stands up, largely due to desperate economic circumstances, to do the right thing. 

So I guess I'm trying to say that I hope the story of 3:10 to Yuma doesn't get lost in the retelling with moremoremore details.  I like Christian Bale, and I like Alan Tudyk, who has a supporting role; so I  hope the new 3:10 to Yuma works out well, box office- and review-wise.  Gretchen Mol is also cast, which I may not have done; but WTHDIK anyway? 

Just caught the end of a three-or-so-year-old Scrubs rerun, and guess what song they used to wrap up?  Journey's Don't Stop Believing.  Or whatever it's called that The Sopranos used the other night.
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #595 on: June 20, 2007, 09:15:24 PM »

Smokin Aces

Heh - get ready to laugh your ass off.

Piven could have better capitalized on his fleeting fame, but I guess the price was pretty good.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #596 on: June 20, 2007, 11:59:34 PM »

Yeah, I watched poker, but Pivzy did probably get paid.

"The sigboth is in Sin City cranking out pool drinks w/silicone girls and their meatmen."

Translation:  "My girlfriend ["significant bother (a/k/a "beer associate," considered derisive] is in Las Vegas enjoying [that mint + vodka + sugarcane one, can't get the name right now] while strippers walk around with their bodyguard boyfriends.

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #597 on: June 21, 2007, 09:37:04 AM »

Got it -- thank you.  It was the silicone girls that flummoxed me; I thought they were with the SB, rather than just walking by.  (With their meatmen, of course.)
BorisBartenov
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #598 on: June 21, 2007, 10:40:20 AM »

Watched the AFI thing last night with half an eye.  Very sentiment-driven, very safe, but some of the clips were fun to watch.   Sad omissions, left to their lives of obscurity in the genre ghetto:

The Abyss
THX 1138
Mulholland Drive
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Terminator II
Alien
Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan
The Matrix (first one)

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #599 on: June 21, 2007, 10:41:44 AM »

Watched the AFI thing last night with half an eye.  Very sentiment-driven, very safe, but some of the clips were fun to watch.   Sad omissions, left to their lives of obscurity in the genre ghetto:

The Abyss
THX 1138
Mulholland Drive
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Terminator II
Alien
Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan
The Matrix (first one)

All deservedly omitted.

What does it matter?  All is grace.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 304
  Print