Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 22, 2018, 05:40:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 303
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 40679 times)
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #600 on: June 21, 2007, 10:46:05 AM »

All films that far surpass the SF film that was included:  Star Wars.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #601 on: June 21, 2007, 10:47:19 AM »

Though I was glad to see 2001 make the list.

(but Clockwork Orange, in the Top Hundred??, WTF....)

kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #602 on: June 21, 2007, 10:51:53 AM »

LOL
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #603 on: June 21, 2007, 10:56:02 AM »

There was an AFI thing on last night?  Totally missed it, watched The Shop Around the Corner.
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #604 on: June 21, 2007, 10:57:10 AM »

Uh...  What do you mean?  There were a couple SF's on the list, including Star Wars and Blade Runner.

O.K., perhaps only those two, depending on how you classify Fellowship of the Ring.

edit: Forgot about 2001, as well.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 11:02:16 AM by whiskeypriest » Logged

What does it matter?  All is grace.
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #605 on: June 21, 2007, 10:59:50 AM »

There was an AFI thing on last night?  Totally missed it, watched The Shop Around the Corner.
They did a 10th Anniversary 100 Greatest American films.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFI%27s_100_Years..._100_Movies_%2810th_Anniversary_Edition%29We are now living in a world where Toy Story is considered a greater movie than Fantasia - not to mention The Third Man, Fargo, and Stagecoach - and I may have just lost my will to live.

whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #606 on: June 21, 2007, 11:01:35 AM »

Though I must say, the aditions of Nashville and The General were welcome.

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #607 on: June 21, 2007, 11:14:04 AM »

They did a 10th Anniversary 100 Greatest American films.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFI%27s_100_Years..._100_Movies_%2810th_Anniversary_Edition%29We are now living in a world where Toy Story is considered a greater movie than Fantasia - not to mention The Third Man, Fargo, and Stagecoach - and I may have just lost my will to live.

To borrow -- okay, blatantly steal -- from Buffy, the world is doomed.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #608 on: June 21, 2007, 11:33:05 AM »

Yeah, I wondered how the Coens could go unrepresented, and the omission of The Third Man is ridiculous.

Whisky, I was just lamenting the way that fantasy and space-opera tend to hijack the public imagination and displace true speculative fiction.  I didn't see the whole show, so didn't know Blade Runner made it.  That's a sound choice, but I tend to see SF as a more dominant cultural presence than does AFI. 

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #609 on: June 21, 2007, 12:10:10 PM »

Lists are terrible in general, but barton, I agree with whisqe that none of the film you mention are even in the top 1000 with the exception of "Alien."  "THX" is really boring.  However you did get me thinking about a top 20 or so SciFi list, which is to say it's fun to make your own list but lists, especially published ones fall under deep scruting of the person who would immediately go about rearranging and editing anyone else's list.  Ordering favourites is deeply personal, and I treat it with almost the same reverance as prognosticating box-office revenues on whimsy and no real science, but I digress.

I think "Star Wars" is great and demonstrates 30 yrs. later what a bad idea CGI usually is if nothing else.

I have to say that I take special offence to your menton of "The Abyss," which had an underwater CGI penis that got very curious about Mary Elisabeth Mastrantonio and even more interested in Ed Harris.  I think the penis was trying to help, but I found the whole thing very unsettling:  Much prefer obelisks.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #610 on: June 21, 2007, 01:18:12 PM »

Ah yes, the usual Abyss penis joke.  Always welcome at informal occasions.

If one could overlook the watery johnson, there was a sense of wonder and mystery evoked which I think is a reasonable goal of the SF genre.  Plus watching M'tonio drowned and then brought back to life, tres romantique.

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #611 on: June 21, 2007, 01:35:12 PM »

I just got around to checking out the AFI list, and I can't believe Doctor Zhivago fell off it. And as noted by others, I can't believe other stuff, like Toy Story, climbed on to help usurp DZ (and other excellent flicks).   

I also get puzzled by the voters or compilers or whoever they are "discovering" Sullivan's Travels (1941), Nashville (1975), or The General (1927).   I mean, these flicks were definitely around when the list was compiled 10 years ago -- why didn't they make it then?  (which they should have, IMHO)  Guess I'm just cranky because so many of my favorites took big hits. 

Change sucks.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #612 on: June 21, 2007, 04:12:15 PM »

When that damn penis went after Ed Harris in "The Abyss" I couldn't even look at a snorkel without questioning my sexuality, that movie hit home like a mother-scratcher, I started hanging out at plushy parties and never played Captain Nemo anymore like Arnold did with Gordon Jump in that very special Diff'rent Strokes, I mean nothing seemed to work until I started taking a lot of back pills and watching Hunter and Magnum P.I. back to back, it was like my rock.  Now, back to normsies, even bought a pair of goggles, in THE FORM OF A 12 PACK, beer goggles, get it, damn man, ah, never mind...
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #613 on: June 21, 2007, 11:20:05 PM »

Gosh, y'all:  When I say "back pills," we are on the funny forum, supposedly, so forget it, you, all serious, shove it right back where it came from...
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #614 on: June 21, 2007, 11:21:46 PM »

I'm like 14 posts from eatme so eatme.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 303
  Print  

Jump to: