Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 18, 2018, 02:35:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 299
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 33247 times)
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #645 on: June 22, 2007, 05:55:09 PM »

I thought my status was supposed to change at 200, if not, that's fine, if you're a hero member or something, no big deal, I just made TWO HUNDRED POSTS...
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #646 on: June 22, 2007, 06:22:12 PM »

I thought my status was supposed to change at 200, if not, that's fine, if you're a hero member or something, no big deal, I just made TWO HUNDRED POSTS...

only fifty more to go J
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #647 on: June 22, 2007, 07:14:18 PM »

...so there is hope...
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #648 on: June 22, 2007, 08:42:41 PM »

Can anyone tell me which movie this character appears in?

This character appears in "Detective Winslow Plunks His Magic Twanger"....

Or "How I Learned To Live With The Creepy Guy in The Mirror Every Morning."

"Stunning performance by Leather Queen Detective Winslow"--New York Times

"Academy Award Winner For Best Dildoe Documentary"--TV Guide
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 09:02:55 PM by pugetopolis » Logged

“Other people's obsessions
are more often funny than tragic.”
—Vincent Canby, The New York Times
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #649 on: June 23, 2007, 01:17:08 AM »

Let's change the subject...

Any commentary on the old classic,  Harold & Maude
Detective_Winslow

Don't forget to bring a towel!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #650 on: June 23, 2007, 01:23:21 AM »

Splooge:

You're wrong...Choda boy appeared in the Trey Parker classic, "Oragazmo".

I hope that I haven't offended anyone.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #651 on: June 23, 2007, 03:41:26 AM »

Ok...I'll start...

I saw this one for the first time Waaay back in college.

I think the reason this movie spoke to so many people was that we've all had that feeling of utter and complete boredom of life at one point or another (even if that is not where we were when first seeing the film).  It was also one of the first sort of quirky offbeat dark comedies that I can recall--perfect for someone exploring everything about life --as we often do in undergraduate education years...

Hal Ashby also did one of my favorite Peter Sellers films -- Being There
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #652 on: June 23, 2007, 03:50:46 AM »

Of course he also did one of me least favorite movies of the era also --  Shampoo

Watching that movie, was like listening to Disco--a painful waste of time...

Movies like that in the 70s were desperately trying to tap into what they perceived as the free love era.  Good writing and even actual plots were considered unnecessary
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #653 on: June 23, 2007, 08:44:36 AM »

Of course he also did one of me least favorite movies of the era also --  Shampoo

I thought Ashby was just the putative (or titular or whatever) director of "Shampoo", and that he actually just sat in the corner while Warren Beatty told everyone what to do. 
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #654 on: June 23, 2007, 09:29:13 AM »

very possible, oilcanboyd.

Back to trojanhorse' original  thoughts on the subject, can you remember the actor?   Who was perfectly cast. Alas we do not stay young forever. In between one state and another, from perfect to no longer young, he was a brilliant comic actor.

His co-star, the character Maude, Ruth Gorden goes way back. Onknowing, I saw her perform in a film when I was in the first few year of my young school life, they were having what was to be known as visual aids as a new thing in education, and somebody figured that seven or eight year old were ready to deal with Abraham Lincoln. Although we were barely through See  Spot run, see Dick, and Jane, etc.

It turns out Lincoln is quite a bit to deal with emotionally.  Isn't there a recent book or play that came out about -- the other couple who were in the box at the Ford Theater when Lincoln was shot?

As a result, it was only in the last few years when this film was on television again, and I wasn't paying any real attention to it as I was on the computer at the same time, I turned around and suddenly recognized the gestures of the young woman in the film about Lincoln. These personal characteristics do not change readily in an actor, especially of that era,it is their cachet, that individuated them from other actors who might be chosen for a part in film or on the stage. Ruth Gorden was very brunette at that age.

By the time that we saw her in --  Harold and Maude, with Bud Cort, she had all the sophisticated experience of somebody like Lou Salome, without anybody having to mention it.   Harold found this fascinating. I don't think it was so much that he was bored but that he was truly depressed until he met the eccentric Maude who was old enough to recognize that he was seriously unhappy. The whole thing is pretty funny in a flower-child  meets Katherine Hepburn sort of way as a premise. Ruth/Maude provides Bud/Harold with the companionship that is sorely lacking in his life because his mother is a social butterfly (one of the funnier altercations has to do with her arranging an "engagement" with a young --what would have known at that time as a debutante socialite whom, if she had married Harold would have become a member of the Junior League. Harold promptly enacts another dramatic suicide attempt when she comes to call.); but Maude instinctively knows why Harold is what he is, so we eventually get the funniest morning-after scene ever.

What is annoying me right now is my inability to recall who the heck Ruth Gorden's husband was, although he was a renowned director. I hate it when I have to look up these things that were once important to me.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #655 on: June 23, 2007, 09:44:59 AM »

It was Garson Kanin. Alas I've not spelled Ruth's name correctly, it was Gordon, not Gorden. I guess, I couldn't make up my mind. Here, are some of her most  insightful quotes:

"The great have no friends. They merely know a lot of people."

"Why should ruts be so comfortable and so unpopular?"

"The kiss. There are all sorts of kisses, lad, from the sticky confection to the kiss of death. Of them all, the kiss of an actress is the most unnerving. How can we tell if she means it or if she's just practicing?"

"The best impromptu speeches are the ones written well in advance."

"Never give up; and never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts."

"If you believe, then you hang on. If you believe, it means you've got imagination, you don't need stuff thrown out on a blueprint, and don't face facts-what can stop you? If I don't make it today, I'll come in tomorrow."

"All I wanted out of a career was to look like Hazel Dawn and wear pink feathers."

[On winning the Oscar at age 72, after fifty years in show business.] "I can't tell you how encouraging a thing like this is, for a young actress like myself."

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #656 on: June 23, 2007, 10:40:05 AM »

"1408" looks like a worthy addition to the hotel-horror genre -- which Cusack delved into a couple years ago in "Identity."  Local review was tepid, but I think the writer didn't get that you can make more than one haunted hotel movie and you're not stealing from The Shining.  It's a subgenre in itself. 

A Scanner Darkly is in my mailbox today, so I'll be back (link)later.

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #657 on: June 23, 2007, 01:05:00 PM »

Trojan:  You're completely wrong about "Shampoo," it is one of the finest films of the 70's and has a hippie era feel and predates Disco.  Ashby's stamp is all over the film as much as Beatty wants to believe he directs anything he's ever been in.

I'm guessing that you haven't seen the film in over 20 yrs. so I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the measured tone of politics, generational conflict, the consequences of "free love," and a deep melancholy that accompanies Robert Towne's often whimsical script. 

I can see someone putting it on a list of "Not for me...," but it's a near perfect film, for me it's the equivalent of saying that "The Last Detail" and "Chinatown" sucked, my reaction being:  You can not be serious.

oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #658 on: June 23, 2007, 01:11:57 PM »

You can not be serious.

That ball was clearly on the line!!

Anyways, maybe it was some other Warren Beatty movie I'm thinking of. "Heaven Can Wait", maybe?

I also remember hearing some story about Beatty and Altman on the "McCabe & Mrs. Miller" set, but I can't remember what happened.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #659 on: June 23, 2007, 02:12:42 PM »

"1408" looks like a worthy addition to the hotel-horror genre --

I'm not a horror genre buff, but I'm looking forward to seeing this one.  I am a big Cusak fan...for whatever reason
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 299
  Print  

Jump to: