Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 22, 2018, 02:44:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 303
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 40597 times)
chauncey.g

« Reply #705 on: June 23, 2007, 09:43:59 PM »

Oh, and I got around to renting O. C. and Stiggs (still sitting here on my desk). Don't know how I missed out on seeing this one. 'Course, I haven't seen Nashville either. I'll get around to that one soon, I hope.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #706 on: June 23, 2007, 10:11:49 PM »

I think that if you say "Pull out the wife-beater, Freddy..." as Funk reaches into his bag, he's going to stop in his tracks, and then you follow up with "You're the man, taco..." 

"Eminence front, sweet cakes, focus for bunny treats..."

Funny you mention that -- Funk is doing pretty well. I mean, if you believe the news and stuff.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #707 on: June 23, 2007, 10:20:09 PM »

Yeah, will be watching on Sun., not too late, harrie, to scalp and yowlp.

Yeah, chaunce, "The Party Animal" and "Mike's Murder" should also be on your short list along with the odd Nixon paranoia flicks like "The Parallax View" and "Condor," essential rule of 2's material.

When I was unemployed and only watching "Swamp Theater" on Turner South in my early 30's, I narrowly avoided acute psychosis while developing an unhealthy Debra Winger fascination, but that doesn't mean you should be discouraged.  Michael Chrichton's "Looker" and DePalma's "Body Double" should also not be overlooked, and think about drinking beer again, it's not really drinking and only staying amused.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #708 on: June 23, 2007, 11:26:08 PM »

I had no idea that "Lady in the Water" would be as terrible as it is:  The evil dog is made of pot, I mean, there are so many WTF's in this film that terrorists should target each WTF, destroy in the name of allah, or jbottle, just burn baby burn...
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #709 on: June 23, 2007, 11:47:55 PM »

I had no idea that "Lady in the Water" would be as terrible as it is...

It was most definitely terrible, but I submit that Paul Giamatti comes out of it looking pretty good.  I don't know if you made it to the end of the movie, but his big-emotional scene was very moving, which is saying something given the movie's general silliness.

Oh, and a few weeks ago Barton came up with some great movie title spoonersims, but he missed Din Viesel in "The Riddicles of Chronick".

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #710 on: June 23, 2007, 11:48:07 PM »

Yeah, that sucked.

I guess Paul Giamatti played a psychotic guy who killed Ron Howard's daughter and committed suicide and was floating in the pool at the end and a lot of it was just dementia or a dream.

Either way, I'll never watch it again now that I know that Giamatti kept a girl in his bathroom who was dead and decaying, which eventually came to light.....but that dog was made of pot.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #711 on: June 23, 2007, 11:50:02 PM »

Oh, and I got around to renting O. C. and Stiggs...

Keep in mind that it was Robert Altman's expression of how much he disliked the 1980's teen-smart-aleck-comedy genre, as well as the Lampoon source material.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #712 on: June 23, 2007, 11:50:42 PM »

My post was a "Warning:  Someone Posted" Post, so tell me what really happened I was on beer and wandering around in between, but there really was a lot of greenery, one scene opening the third act with the dog sounded and looked like a huge bonghit, but I could be adding in a lot of psychology to it.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #713 on: June 23, 2007, 11:55:32 PM »

...at which point Superman raised an eyebrow, and Luthor just knew, without Superman even having to say a word, that it was time to break off a small sliver of Krypto and see what happens after a few bong hits of it.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #714 on: June 24, 2007, 12:07:18 AM »

Well, when you know you are arch enemies and not likely to off each other in this particular escapade, Luthor sort of flashes the krypt, and Supes is like, I knew you were holding, you're not really going to throw that on a brother tonight are you, and then Hackman takes out a pocketknife and says, fuckit, why don't we smoke this krypt and have a kind of superman/luthor truce for the night and play some video games.   Then they both relax, because then the whole world isn't in the balance and they are able to chill.  At one point Luthor raises an eyebrow and tells Supes to finish the whole bowl, and Supes gets a little suspicious of whether he is being duped, but then he realized that Luthor had already smoked a little and seemed fine even though he was from Earth. 
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #715 on: June 24, 2007, 01:04:22 AM »

Maugham was as likely to put Ambulance Driver into the personnae because he was himself a doctor.

Hemingway was an ambulence driver in World War I.  When I saw the Bill Murray version I always suspected that someone in the know was lifting a veil...  not confirmed - just suspected...
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #716 on: June 24, 2007, 01:11:57 AM »

Gordon, by Edith Templeton

that sounds like one version alright...thanks

I liked the line "I shall hold you forever because i'll always find new ways of torturing you..."
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #717 on: June 24, 2007, 01:26:46 AM »

"Being There" is a great movie but a weird movie for me,

but I don't think it's a perfect film, I think it's a strange film, but ultimately shooting for something it doesn't attain, or not knowing the true mark.

You're spot on...  I'll speak for myself on this one...when I call Being There "a Great Movie," I don't mean it in the same sense that you would call casablanca or Citizen Kane  a great movie...I think it's just a figure of speech.  I really enjoyed Peter Sellers and this is probably my favorite movie of his...there for a Great movie like you would say that was a Great game after watching your favorite team win...

But some of the best movies (like great literature) are not meant to have a clear mark - they are somewhat left open to interpretation of the viewer (or reader) and I think Being There was very much that way.  For instance how are you supposed to read the last scene when he is quite literally "walking on water?"  Was it another political joke that he could do no wrong -- or was it that he was pure and innocent and therefore could be likened to God -- or was it that there really was more to him than even we had supposed all along?  I'm sure there are many other possible interpretations also...

Take a few more points like this during the course of the movie and it could really mean completely different things to two different people...

I just thought it was hilarious--I didn't need to think about it anymore than that to like it...
chauncey.g

« Reply #718 on: June 24, 2007, 01:37:47 AM »

Keep in mind that it was Robert Altman's expression of how much he disliked the 1980's teen-smart-aleck-comedy genre, as well as the Lampoon source material.

He does mention difficulties with the Lampoon writers during the dvd interview.
chauncey.g

« Reply #719 on: June 24, 2007, 01:44:16 AM »

Take a few more points like this during the course of the movie and it could really mean completely different things to two different people...

One angle of the dinner scene in Ben's house obscures Chauncey a bit. You know he's there, but can't really see him as Ben is expanding on the "garden" theme. God is over for dinner.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 303
  Print  

Jump to: