Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 18, 2018, 10:44:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 299
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 33379 times)
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #735 on: June 24, 2007, 10:00:13 PM »

N.Y.P.D.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #736 on: June 24, 2007, 10:03:27 PM »

Warden is great in "Shampoo," and if it was a generational film the script wouldn't have taken such a charitable liking to him, he's not a stick-figure for Nixonian conservatism and capitalism, and neither is Beatty a emblem for free love and not gathering his own nut.  That's why it's so real and so good.  Beatty is ultimately jealous, and wants Warden's money, and is playing a game that collapses on him, which if he could really walk away from it he would be fine if he were as carefree as he plainly isn't, that's the problem, and that's why he's so alone, and basically everybody is, at the end.

Anyway, great Sellers moments, especially how he cracks himself up with the way his character says "ass...hole," that's what the character would do, funny stuff.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #737 on: June 24, 2007, 11:27:15 PM »

"You think this is bad...you outta be drunk in Fresno, California..."--Benny, trying to assuage his baby that the shithole they just bought an overnight room in is somehow, better...

"I promise to put the grave back just right..."

A filmmaker is a grave-robber of a sort, or is that the only thing they do...I fucking love "Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, even if it gets 1.5 stars on my cable people.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #738 on: June 25, 2007, 03:58:59 AM »

re Evan Almighty -- I thought the advertising alone killed it, with the whole "from the director who gave you Bruce Almighty...."   I mean, the joke's been done, even if it's a slightly different joke. Why not call it Evan's Ark?  Or Paired Up? 

Or Two by Two.  The problem with Evan is that it doesn't look like a $200 mil movie, rather an all too obvious cross between Bruce and Santa Clause.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #739 on: June 25, 2007, 08:41:56 AM »

Russian Ark is one of those magical films that carry you away even if you know nothing about Russian history or literature.  Of course, if you do it doubles the pleasure because there are so many motifs that run through movie like the cameos of Pushkin.  The whispers and the little intrigues all have references.  It was one of the most lavishly produced Russian films since independence and is a glowing tribute to the Hermitage.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #740 on: June 25, 2007, 09:32:53 AM »

"Never feel sorry for a guy with a plane..."

Not really, but I'm sure it's just been a blast for Carrell, and he's made a lot of dough, mostly from the unlikely success of "The Office" in addition to the "Evan" paycheck of what, $12M?

Oh, don't get me wrong.  I like Steve Carrell; and if anyone who is not me is going to collect an outrageous paycheck, it might as well be him. I mean, it's like the studio guys talk Carrell up as the next coming based on T40YOV (and The Office if you count TV), which is fine; except that it's a short track record to judge by.

But the studio guys don't know what they're doing, and don't want anyone else to know they don't know what they're doing, so they make Carrell "the next one," talk him up endlessly, and write him huge checks.  Hopefully Carrell is smart enough to realize this and not believe his own publicity; but it's hard not to when everyone is saying such nice things about you.  It seems there's always a landing of some kind, whether bumpy (Tom Sizemore) or less bumpy (Ashley Judd maybe?), and I hope Carrell handles it well. 

Dzimas, Thank you for Two by Two.  I'm terrible at that stuff, can you tell?

We watched Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia once, but had too much fun with it.  When they had the funeral -- for a baby, I think? the coffin was small -- the hubby was like, "This is where they're burying the plot."  I have heard raves about it from a number of people, so would like to give it another watch sometime.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #741 on: June 25, 2007, 09:45:02 AM »

Harrie -- I don't know Rory Cochrane's work all that well.  Someone told me he was a forensic guy who got killed on the Miami version of CSI.  He is kind of funny in the "making of" interview on the Scanner Darkly DVD -- everyone else is all, hey Linklater works with actors so well, he lets us be creative, lets us try new things, wondeful synergy, bla bla blah, the usual DVD tripe....and Cochrane is like, I don't know, the director might be something of a tyrannical megalomaniac and I was never sure what he really wanted and my twitchy-guy thing probably was totally wrong, etc.  Made me totally like him.

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #742 on: June 25, 2007, 10:12:29 AM »

Barton,

Cochrane was in Dazed and Confused (more Linklater, right?), but mostly I know him from Empire Records, where he stole a lot of scenes (IMHO), and a small flick called The Prime Gig. TPG was pretty depressing and Cochrane played an angle of Ratso Rizzo -- Ratso Lite, maybe -- but I was impressed. Admittedly, it probably doesn't take much to impress me, though.

I never watched him on CSI -- I don't have the attention span for those shows.  I did hear he left the show because he just didn't want to do TV; but I checked IMDB and it doesn't look like he has much of anything coming up.  Hopefully he's working somewhere -- maybe theater?
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #743 on: June 25, 2007, 10:28:17 AM »

My son has been telling me to see The Prime Gig for some time now.  I will add it to my queue.  (what's with that extra "ue" anyway?  isn't one "ue" sufficient to get the notion across?)  I do vaguely remember Cochrane from Dazed and Confused.

TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #744 on: June 25, 2007, 10:34:45 AM »

"Never feel sorry for a guy with a plane..."

Smiley   good one...
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #745 on: June 25, 2007, 10:37:16 AM »

THis moring I noticed two different estimates fro Evan.   I saw the $32 and how dissappointing it was and then I saw another one that was more like $52.  The odd thing is they were both "top 5" lists and 2-4 tied out precisely.

What do you make of that?   A mistake in the earlier estimate of $32?   Or after the fact "attempted damage control?"
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #746 on: June 25, 2007, 10:45:48 AM »

Not to rain on your parade, or pee in your cornflakes, but who cares how many suckers paid to see yet another tripe-filled hollywood sequel?  What is the fascination with box office here??   I can only refer you to Mr. Clemens who observed that there are lies, damned lies, and statistics.  I'm sure there are a million ways to assemble BO figures, and none of them address the actual quality of the films in question.

TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #747 on: June 25, 2007, 10:47:09 AM »

I actually saw Evan yesterday with my wife and 5 year old.

While I'm certain there will not be much critcal acclaim, I actually liked the movie a lot.  There were plenty of silly, slapstick laughs, and a nice message about family loyalty and how God might act being different than how we might expect.  Morgan's essentially says at the end, if someone prays for courage, should God give him courage or should God present him with an opportunity to find courage within himself--even if that opportunity seems like a negative at the time.

I agree though...I can't understand who would approve a budget of $175MM to make the movie.  That doesn't make much sense.

I also saw "making of" and all of the animals were shot live -- though many on blue screen...   They also actually built that monstrosity - so you can imagine how much they had to pay just to rent the land that they built and shot on  -- these two items along with actors salaries add up I guess -- although I can't quite make that math add up...
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #748 on: June 25, 2007, 10:51:00 AM »

The "plane" joke was paraphrasing A-Hop from "The Edge."
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #749 on: June 25, 2007, 11:02:02 AM »

I agree though...I can't understand who would approve a budget of $175MM to make the movie.  

Maybe God is giving a studio exec an opportunity
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 299
  Print  

Jump to: