Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 18, 2018, 06:09:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 304
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 52816 times)
BorisBartenov
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #765 on: June 26, 2007, 12:16:22 PM »

I thought it was kind of dark.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
kitinkaboodle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #766 on: June 26, 2007, 12:35:12 PM »

But not in pinot noir kind of way.

Don't dance on a volcano...
law120b

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #767 on: June 26, 2007, 01:47:31 PM »

bottle, i saw a preview of wedding crashers long before final cut, and said, diplomatically of course, no way jose.  who can identify with two guys whose game is to do as stupid and gauche a gig as one could imagine?  this was a sure failure. 

the people who think they can play audience generally are back in tallahassee running the cleaning store in a season or two.
sugarblues

K. I. S. S.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #768 on: June 26, 2007, 03:21:10 PM »

Catch and Release - Rented this movie over the weekend.  Found the movie predicable and sad at times.  I did enjoy the sound track.  One part I enjoyed was the dinner scene.  Thought I would watch the movie again to see if I missed anything but haven' t had the chance.  On a scale from 1 - 10(10 being the highest) I would rate a 6
kitinkaboodle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #769 on: June 26, 2007, 03:41:54 PM »

Also saw this recently.  Netflixed due to Timothy Olyphant (liked him in Deadwood) can't say that I could sit through it more than once...

Don't dance on a volcano...
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #770 on: June 26, 2007, 04:44:39 PM »

Olyphant is the villain in the upcoming Die Hard installment.   Just Olyphant news....
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #771 on: June 26, 2007, 06:46:11 PM »

Speaking of dark, I saw this
http://imdb.com/title/tt0368725/
on the Sundance channel (or a similar one) and was gripped, not just because I usually am by anything Vanessa Redgrave does.  On imdb I found it was written by Wallace Shawn, smacked my forehead and said "Of course!"

Anyone else see this and care to comment?

No, haven't seen it but I'll swap you one. There are no big stars in this one, except "the President".

I'd be just as interested in reactions to this because I recall the question coming up at nytimes.com, in an article, when this was released; and they were comparing it somewhat with a book  about two men having a discussion in a  hotel room about the  exact same thing, more on the lines of a confession of having considered and now telling his friend that he was going ahead with it. Whereas the Book Review pages thought nothing much one way or another about promoting, or publishing, or reading a book, the attitude about the suitability of a film was something else again and my understanding was that it had been made by the British? Looks like Canada,here.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0853096/

As I haven't seen The Fever, will look on HBO, until then have just one thing to say about it; it prompts me to say that it looks like " The Revolutionary Daughter of The Revolutionary" which starred of course Jon Voight.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #772 on: June 26, 2007, 11:22:37 PM »

The problem with Vin Diesel is that he doesn't have an ounce of humor. The Pacifier was supposed to show the lighter side of him, but it was pretty much the same old Vinnie.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #773 on: June 27, 2007, 01:07:52 AM »

Anybody that says, oh yeah, I guess Carrell isn't Carrey, can take comfort in the all out sell dome that Carrey did on "23," that whole I'm going to go into Conan all Goth at age 40 and be funny, edgy, weird, you know sell...

...didn't work out so hot, so the vacuum that was created by the number 23 is about what shoved the studio into a replacement for Carrey, or not, who cares...

My point is that Jim Carrey can't deliver John Cusack numbers on the same movie up against his franchise that should bury the Cusack movie...that's the thing that was bothering me the whole time...man, where is Carrey when you need him, uh, your boy is making "23," which, because you thought it was art didn't sign on for "Evan," yeah, who knows, but we do know this.  Cusack made "23" and it was called "1408" against your old franchise, in other words, the slum movie/art movie that you wanted to make while rewrites were available for the "Almighty" franchise," somebody like Cusack is watching you screw yourself and counterpunching the thing you created.

Hell:  "1409" is not looking nearly as ridiculous as another "Almighty" entry, which as a sequel might be as "paddles" as any studio was ever able to muster.

My other point:  Be glad, Jim Carrey, that you weren't in EA even though Cusack was basically in 23, ironically taking 2/3rds of the box office dough for a movie, by most accounts, i.e., adult, "R", "shadows," the same one that you released, i.e., a "number movie," a "Jordan movie," a "bomb..."

Yeah, my brother, did you dodge a bullett or manufacture one???

So that happened...
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #774 on: June 27, 2007, 01:42:36 AM »

http://www.avclub.com/content/feature/inventory_10_directors_you

Hey, I have to take exception with Peter Hyams, they are picking on a brother in that regard, sure, he falls into the category with people making uneasy choices in a volatile landscape, but in terms of really sucking on the dollar like the other guys suck.  Nope.  Hyams is a fucking auteur next to those guys and it's a shame that you don't see his sense of humor as a journeyman at the same time.  I hope it's nothing personal, and I'm sure he's an asshole if they say so, but he's not uncapable of making a good movie one day, hell, anybody that worked with JCVD and worked agian is aces, right?  Sheesh.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #775 on: June 27, 2007, 01:48:02 AM »

Plus, ripping Hyams on "End of Days" while he is producing a watchable movie out of complete crap is the equivalent of not committing suicide:  The guy should be happy that he's still alive, and shouldn't have to take a humility bump for the context, in fact, he's up for the award for "Most able to hold it togever under ineresting curcumstance...," More of the sheesh...plus he was under the gun with the other pre-millennial fest which I forget and which satisfies the ROT, but I mean, what are they supposed to do with pandemic anxiety, empathize, I mean, sheesh.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #776 on: June 27, 2007, 10:07:57 AM »

Hell:  "1409" is not looking nearly as ridiculous as another "Almighty" entry...

Nice1!!
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #777 on: June 27, 2007, 10:16:40 AM »

I liked "End Of Days", but I always go for that Bible-Thriller stuff.  I mean, "Constantine" was like my 3rd favorite movie of 2005.
Eva

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #778 on: June 27, 2007, 10:22:53 AM »

Film-buffs:

American movies aside.  With a penchant for foreign, independent directors and actors here, I'm looking for a kindred spirit (or two, or bring 'em all on) who could list their faves.
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #779 on: June 27, 2007, 10:32:18 AM »

I certainly don't qualify as a "buff", so don't have a list.

Here's one I liked:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0110604/
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 304
  Print  

Jump to: