Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 19, 2018, 02:53:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 299
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 33433 times)
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #795 on: June 27, 2007, 02:46:24 PM »

Stretching the envelope I would say,

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070627/ap_on_en_mo/tom_cruise
kitinkaboodle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #796 on: June 27, 2007, 02:54:42 PM »

Haven't seen mention of Deepa Mehta.  Worth taking a look.  Her trilogy Earth, Fire and Water.  All are thoughtfully and beautifully poetic, the depth is there as well, dramatically shattering at times.  Interesting work.

Don't dance on a volcano...
chauncey.g

« Reply #797 on: June 27, 2007, 03:23:32 PM »

I tried watching IF a long time ago but couldn't make it all the way through. I'll give it another shot as I like Malcolm McDowell.
chauncey.g

« Reply #798 on: June 27, 2007, 03:38:12 PM »

Haven't seen mention of Deepa Mehta.  Worth taking a look.  Her trilogy Earth, Fire and Water.  All are thoughtfully and beautifully poetic, the depth is there as well, dramatically shattering at times.  Interesting work.

Never have ventured into Bollywood. Perhaps it is about time.
chauncey.g

« Reply #799 on: June 27, 2007, 03:43:00 PM »

HA! Went and wiki-ed 'Bollywood'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bollywood

So much to learn, so much time to do so (smile).
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #800 on: June 27, 2007, 03:59:54 PM »

LFODH:  $68.57M
kitinkaboodle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #801 on: June 27, 2007, 04:25:23 PM »

Hi, chauncey!
Mehta really doesn't fall into the classic Bollywood formula.  Fanaa is the only Bollywood movie I've seen, it was good of a kind.  More of a classic English story-line, with the ascribed Indian film-making particular to "Bollywoodism"...

Don't dance on a volcano...
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #802 on: June 27, 2007, 04:31:21 PM »

LFODH:  $68.57M

I'll go $33.40MM.
chauncey.g

« Reply #803 on: June 27, 2007, 04:39:22 PM »

Hi, chauncey!
Mehta really doesn't fall into the classic Bollywood formula.  Fanaa is the only Bollywood movie I've seen, it was good of a kind.  More of a classic English story-line, with the ascribed Indian film-making particular to "Bollywoodism"...

thankee. i know better than to rely on wiki for the whole story. i'll check out the triology and maybe do some reading.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #804 on: June 27, 2007, 04:58:48 PM »

Oil:  I'm talking Wed.-Sun., so I'm not predicting blowout numbers, but okay.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #805 on: June 27, 2007, 05:02:27 PM »

Oil:  I'm talking Wed.-Sun., so I'm not predicting blowout numbers, but okay.

Oh, I didn't consider the Wednesday release thing, but I'll stick with my 33.40 and go with that for Wed-Sun.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #806 on: June 27, 2007, 05:41:18 PM »

You remind me of myself as a young prognosticator, while others were scrambling to collect data such as number or theaters, I would place a wetted finger in the air to try and best adjudge the prevailing pop-whimsy of the American audience.  Rather than use deductive reasoning, calculators and the like, I would try to get hooked on a feeling, while the scurrying number-munchers were devising complicated predictive algorithms, I would have a Barge's and some Cheetos, and mull over national sentiment by the use of the five senses, some may think one's sense of smell is not as important as how aggressive marketing a stance a particular studio is taking:  I happen to disagree.  Therefore, I'm sure you've sensed my embarrassment at having scolded or cautioned you by the means of hard data.  I should have, sir, taken you on your word, and your willingness to stick to an original prediction is the better part of valor in this case.  Huzzah, and bonne chance.
Eva

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #807 on: June 27, 2007, 05:49:01 PM »

Film Buffs - and the not Buff  - also those in or not in the buff:

Kid - Will check MW out - had never heard of it - not into gore - but it has more?
Barton - Yeah!  So what is it with the Irish mordant wit?  Seen all and agree totally
Dzmas -  So many suggestions - So little etc.
Chauncey - Interesting -cool - yet Pan - maybe I should have "big-screened" that one
Oil - Another great I've missed
Kit - Have seen Water - Amazing - Strong and Beautifully filmed

Thank you much!
chauncey.g

« Reply #808 on: June 27, 2007, 06:16:39 PM »

eva

yet Pan - maybe I should have "big-screened" that one

i don't have a sophisticated home theater system so i try to see films like Pan's on the big screen. if you have or have access to somebody's fancy set-up, i'm sure the dvd experience will not disappoint. beyond the cinematography and special effects, it's a great story. it does have some gory stuff in it, tho'. more like creepy stuff. so, depending on whether you simply dislike gore or are totally turned off by gore, you may want to consult with someone who knows more about your gore acceptability level.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #809 on: June 27, 2007, 06:29:15 PM »

dzimas,

Absolutely hated, Faraway So Close. I used to be my area fan-club for Dafoe leader, if I'd been young enough for an era as I remember that was still possible but I'm not. We came from the same sort of  background; fathers were --well, his was a small town doctor, mine would have been if he had not been ambitious, large families that drive you into acting to get away and, well that would be giving too much away.  So for several years Willem apparently did stock repertoire in a start  up  theatre company with an annoyingly make-shift space -- before he went to Manhattan.

But I never knew it, as I'd gone off to the country and grew things and put them up for winter when I went into town for a three day interlude of Mandarin. I possibly heard some occasional mention of the theater and I think that I actually went there for their performance of Fanshen with which I profoundly disagreed until I got used to Hare's outrage about "Cultural Revolution" and the really bad performance of fake Chinese, when I normally fed real Chinese after their uniformed dance performances.  

Word spread around that Willem took direction from his wife excellently well. And some of his film performances got your attention. But then there were the bummers.   Now, all these years later, knowing every one of his nuances is inevitably like marriage.  Is there anything that he is  likely to come up with at this late date? Although, you know what I am about to say. Scorsese knew how to pick a winner when he decided to subject the Church,either Orthodox or Roman, or those others who believe they are Christians to the Zealot Activist disavower who, when he is ready to say,"I've had it and I won't take it any more!", suddenly realizes what he has just said and gets the heebie-jeebies, so runs off to hide in the garden at Gethsemane like that will change anything. Nonetheless that's the Kazantzakis version, true to the book which we'd all read. And Christ, Willem Dafoe came across as the best ever, including Martin Scorsese's use of the cultural preferences for a kind of North Frieslander version, no matter how much he talked about his rabbinic calling.

But as some kind of slipped off the Angelic razor's edge from one of the higher choirs, no thanks. It was rather unpleasant.

Fact is, I wanted more of the premise in Wings of Desire, and it was sort of there but supposedly factually grim.

This is when I switched to Bruno Ganz permanently.  I noticed in today's photogravure display of various Germans who have played in the German productions that were under discussion there is one guy who has it around the chin for the old Bruno charisma.

The official desk officer had the necessary eyes that are all perceptive among those who can readily sit  on desk duty for 14 or more hours per day. These guys ran everything of any importance where I came from. Nothing got past them. They didn't have to be of exceptional intelligence; just hard as nails.        

Now, about Tom Cruise.  This isn't what I had in mind as respect for Stauffenberg.  My great-great grandfather was an East Prussian, so we do have some honor. Tom will be lucky to avoid the clutches of the junior von Stauffenberg and get out of the country alive.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 299
  Print  

Jump to: