Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 23, 2018, 05:41:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 303
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 40779 times)
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #810 on: June 27, 2007, 06:42:31 PM »

I see whiskey has The Double Life of Veronique as his avatar.  Criterion has recently come out with a very nicely packaged box set of Kieslowski's beautiful film:

http://www.amazon.com/Double-Life-Veronique-Criterion-Collection/dp/B000I2J75O/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-5791205-4542015?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1182956922&sr=1-1
There goes another 40 bucks.

A foreign movie I watched a couple times lately is Au hasard Balthazar, from Robert Bresson.  I think the operative word is "austere."  I love it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060138/
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 06:46:53 PM by whiskeypriest » Logged

What does it matter?  All is grace.
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #811 on: June 27, 2007, 06:45:52 PM »

Also newly released on Criterion, Billy Wilder's realistic, understated, whimsical look at humanity, Ace in the Hole.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043338/
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 06:47:53 PM by whiskeypriest » Logged

chauncey.g

« Reply #812 on: June 27, 2007, 10:50:39 PM »

Warden is great in "Shampoo," and if it was a generational film the script wouldn't have taken such a charitable liking to him, he's not a stick-figure for Nixonian conservatism and capitalism, and neither is Beatty a emblem for free love and not gathering his own nut.

Just watched "Heaven Can Wait" again and can see what I hadn't before as to the anti-capitalist undercurrent of this one. I was quite the Marxist myself (actually apolitical is a better description) back then. Kinda cool to see things in a very different light.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #813 on: June 28, 2007, 12:04:07 AM »

Maddy, hard to imagine hating Faraway, So Close! I suppose if you were looking for something in the same vein as Wings of Desire, it could have been disappointing.  But, it was such a harmless film, with a wonderful sense of humor, that I didn't know Wenders had.

Yea, whiskey, I couldn't resist Veronique either.  Criterion has a way of doing that to you.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #814 on: June 28, 2007, 12:33:01 AM »

Hard for me to imagine Die Hard doing less than 60 mil, even if they've stretched this series one too many movies already.  But Willis seems to take it all with a sense of humor.

Counting down the days to The Simpsons movie.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #815 on: June 28, 2007, 12:40:13 AM »

Heaven Can Wait was OK.  I remember that Beatty took a pretty hard hit when that movie garnered so many Oscar nominations.  For some reason, the acting community took exception to it.  Heaven knows why?  It seemed like such a harmless, empty-headed sort of film, a pleasant update of the Ernst Lubitsch film, without the bite.   Warden was good as the coach.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #816 on: June 28, 2007, 01:11:51 AM »

What was truly awful, maddie, was the remake of Wings of Desire with Nicholas Cage and Meg Ryan,

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120632/
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #817 on: June 28, 2007, 04:44:38 AM »

I don't understand why Percy Adlon's Sugarbaby hasn't yet been released on DVD,

http://www.amazon.com/Sugarbaby-Zuckerbaby-Marianne-S%C3%A4gebrecht/dp/6301651707/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/105-5791205-4542015?ie=UTF8&s=video&qid=1183020237&sr=1-2

Great film!
chauncey.g

« Reply #818 on: June 28, 2007, 06:20:53 AM »

Heaven Can Wait was OK.  I remember that Beatty took a pretty hard hit when that movie garnered so many Oscar nominations.  For some reason, the acting community took exception to it.  Heaven knows why?  It seemed like such a harmless, empty-headed sort of film, a pleasant update of the Ernst Lubitsch film, without the bite.   Warden was good as the coach.

My list of faves consists of lots of films that I admit have no reason to be considered as great or worthy of recognition by The Academy. Sometimes a thing is just what it is. A pleasant story, an amusing tale, a personal experience. Take "The Gods Must Be Crazy" for example. The only award I'd give it is "Most Fun Flick to Watch When I'm Watching It".
chauncey.g

« Reply #819 on: June 28, 2007, 06:21:32 AM »

What was truly awful, maddie, was the remake of Wings of Desire with Nicholas Cage and Meg Ryan,

Truly awful, yes. I agree there.
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #820 on: June 28, 2007, 08:07:28 AM »

My list of faves consists of lots of films that I admit have no reason to be considered as great or worthy of recognition by The Academy. Sometimes a thing is just what it is. A pleasant story, an amusing tale, a personal experience. Take "The Gods Must Be Crazy" for example. The only award I'd give it is "Most Fun Flick to Watch When I'm Watching It".
I was actually very disappointed in The Gods Must Be Crazy the first time I watched it.  Maybe one of those "Too bad I heard so much about it that I was expecting more" movies.  Like Little Miss Sunshine, a pleasant enough movie but nothing special, that just got hyped out of all proportion by the time I saw it.  "This?"  I thought while watching it, "All that hype for a movie that rips most of its predictable plot from the first Vacation movie and confuses character quirks with characters?"  Maybe if I had just been able to watch it with no expectations I wouldn't disdain it as I do.

whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #821 on: June 28, 2007, 08:08:09 AM »

Truly awful, yes. I agree there.
Not even my all too intense fondness for the perky Ms. Ryan could get me to watch that thing again.

chauncey.g

« Reply #822 on: June 28, 2007, 08:43:50 AM »

I was actually very disappointed in The Gods Must Be Crazy the first time I watched it.  Maybe one of those "Too bad I heard so much about it that I was expecting more" movies.  Like Little Miss Sunshine, a pleasant enough movie but nothing special, that just got hyped out of all proportion by the time I saw it.  "This?"  I thought while watching it, "All that hype for a movie that rips most of its predictable plot from the first Vacation movie and confuses character quirks with characters?"  Maybe if I had just been able to watch it with no expectations I wouldn't disdain it as I do.

Ban the hypers!
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #823 on: June 28, 2007, 08:46:50 AM »

One of the advantages of living in Lithuania is that I miss much of the hype, so Little Miss Sunshine came as a pleasant surprise to me.  Not that it was anything special, but I thought it was well done for what it was.  The first Gods Must be Crazy film was a lot of fun.  The second one a miserable mess.  I think they even tried a third movie along the same lines, but enough was enough.

On another note, my wife has become a big fan of Lynch after watching two seasons of Twin Peaks and Mulholland Drive on DVD.  Lynch has been hit and miss as far as I'm concerned.  Curious what persons think of Inland Empire, which is soon to be released on DVD.
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #824 on: June 28, 2007, 08:52:50 AM »

TGMBC was not really hyped; it had tremendous word of mouth more than anything.

Lynch makes movies for people other than me.  Except for Blue Velvet, which I only kind of like primarily for Dennis Hopper's performance, and the first few episodes of Twin Peaks, I dislike to hate all of his movies.

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 303
  Print  

Jump to: