Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 21, 2018, 07:02:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 303
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 39855 times)
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #825 on: June 28, 2007, 09:14:22 AM »

One thing that might perk your interest in Inland Empire is that Poland apparently figures heavily into the film,

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460829/

Seems Poles loved it so much, there were 25 additional minutes in the Polish release.
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #826 on: June 28, 2007, 09:20:02 AM »

One thing that might perk your interest in Inland Empire is that Poland apparently figures heavily into the film,

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460829/

Seems Poles loved it so much, there were 25 additional minutes in the Polish release.
Well, certainly, any movie casting two Polish actors with the last name of Cybulski deserves interest - are either of them related to the great Zbigniew Cybulski?  IMDb is of no help.

If he had managed to cast Daniel Olbrychski, I might be more interested.

What does it matter?  All is grace.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #827 on: June 28, 2007, 09:25:37 AM »

I don't know Polish actors as well as you do.  Kieslowski, Polanski and Wajda are the only two names that come to mind. 

I suppose you have to have a high definition television to appreciate the benefits of blue ray, but I suppose it doesn't hurt to buy future DVD's in blue ray.
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #828 on: June 28, 2007, 09:31:23 AM »

I don't know Polish actors as well as you do.  Kieslowski, Polanski and Wajda are the only two names that come to mind. 

I suppose you have to have a high definition television to appreciate the benefits of blue ray, but I suppose it doesn't hurt to buy future DVD's in blue ray.
Well, Zbigniew Cybulski made his reputation as the "Polish James Dean" in Wajda's Ashes and Diamonds.  And Olbrychski has been in, well, everything, including a handfull of Wajda films - though on The Promised Land and Pan Tedeusz come to mind - and all three of the Trilogy movies, as the villain Azja Tuhaj-Bejowicz in Pan Wojo..Wo... ah, hell, you know the title, the hero Andrzej Kmicic in The Deluge, and a small part as Tohaj-Bej (the father of his Pan W. character) in With Fire and Sword.

whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #829 on: June 28, 2007, 09:34:28 AM »

Kieslowski, Polanski and Wajda are the only two names that come to mind. 

Two?

Don't forget Agnieska Holland, a fine Polish director (and the model for the female lead in Wajda's Man of Marble and Man of Iron) currently working here.

Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #830 on: June 28, 2007, 09:42:17 AM »

Europa, Europa was a great film!  Shame on me for not remembering her.
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #831 on: June 28, 2007, 09:42:58 AM »

Also, Olbrychski was the star of Dekalog 3 (Remember the sabbath day and keep it holy), where he played a husband whose former lover keeps him away from his family on Christmas Eve.

Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #832 on: June 28, 2007, 09:46:55 AM »

As many Polish films as I have seen, the faces all remained nameless.  I guess I just couldn't wrap my tongue around their names.  Was disappointed with Pan Tadeusz, expected more from it with all the hype it got in Vilnius at the time.
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #833 on: June 28, 2007, 09:47:04 AM »

Europa, Europa was a great film!  Shame on me for not remembering her.
She's been hit or miss.  Bitter Harvest was pretty great, too, and I am very fond of The Third Miracle as well.  But Total Eclipse was abysmal, and To Kill a Preist ruined a very good story and excellent cast (Ed Harris, Tim Roth, Pete Postlethwait, Joos Ackland) by having Chritopher Lambert (The Swiss Keanu Reeves) in the pivotal role.  

Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #834 on: June 28, 2007, 09:49:09 AM »

I thought her take on The Secret Garden was pretty good.
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #835 on: June 28, 2007, 09:49:44 AM »

I thought her take on The Secret Garden was pretty good.
Haven't seen it.

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #836 on: June 28, 2007, 10:40:40 AM »

The Secret Garden, by sheer chance, provides me with my segue to mention that I finally saw The Constant Gardener last night.  (make a hybrid title of this, if you wish, though nothing beats the current year's opportunity to combine The Good German with The Good Shepherd, IMO)

While I think one can say it did a fair job of exposing a problem of corruption and callous attitudes in the pharmaceutical industry, sort of the pharma version of Syriana, its strength lies in the love story between a British diplomat and a passionate crusader free-spirit woman who goes to Kenya with him.  The Africans, and their struggles and sufferings, are mainly relegated to bit parts and backdrop. 
The film suggests compassion, but whenever it involves itself to any degree with the objects of that compassion, the people of Kenya, it moves on too quickly to the eye-candy Anglos in the foreground.  Basically, the film's emotional reach exceeded its grasp.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #837 on: June 28, 2007, 12:33:32 PM »

Writers (WGA):Wim Wenders (screenplay) &
Peter Handke (screenplay) ..."What was truly awful was Nicholas Cage and Meg Ryan....

Well, we always knew that; what we didn't know was that Wenders had a strange sense of humor that could compete with Werner Herzog's.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #838 on: June 28, 2007, 01:28:10 PM »

I didn't even know that The Gods Must Be Crazy went into sequel. Whisqe sometimes lacks humor as opposed to the Wenders/Herzog variety since anybody can see this was more than a  Vacation, this was an Anthropology major's spoof ( of an actual happening, I might add).

Agniewska Holland is someone I once got confused with Jane Campion, when using her to illustrate not the Campion flick made by Nicole Kidman but the film that Holland actually made of the other James novel, Washington Square,with Jennifer Jason Leigh. My point having been that there were certain painful facts of life, that although described in supposedly great literature, are often better revealed by the camera --thus shortening the dialogue or the narratif.  I may have liked Montgomery Clift's performance better at a certain age than Ben Chaplin's but the other Leads were vastly more relevant with Holland's direction.

She also understands cinematography quite well.Therefore,I also disagree
 in regard to--Total Eclipse, it is a humdinger of a revelation about Rimbaud, that nobody realized her lead actor could perform opposite David Thewlis (as dzimas can tell,another actor who has grown on me), to reveal the obsession of an unruly older man for a no holds barred younger version of what he might have been.  In fact, I might have used Di Caprio as a perfect example of what I was referring to previously in Celebreality -- a male equivalent Paris Hilton  who found a mentor to teach him to observe Robert De Niro(speaking of The Good Shepherd)

So now I have to disagree also about The Constant Gardener, since the intent is fulfilled in bringing out the facts of how we use-- to this day-- other populations to test things on. Of course we are supposed to blame the British here because Bill Nighy makes an appearance to remind us of duplicity in as nervy a way possible.  There is nothing wrong with the African background, if from the start you end up on the edge of your seat as the audio come through loud and clear and the camera has no where to go as it lets you know this is over-population at its best. I recall very telling scenes ( other than those by my favourite suffering joker Raf-Raf Fiennes, I was just finding out about Ms. Weiss) prior to the end of this film when a pilot or other personnel on a small plane explains why missing a child who needs to catch this flight, when left behind in a running group of human beings which is shot like the safari herds of Denys Finch Hatton (in, Out of Africa), makes no difference. This is the African view of Africa. I have lost contact with Africans by now, when they were born and raised in Africa and went into political life, and simply disappeared, vanished in the way that the young wife of The Constant Gardener has. I recall that about the time when I saw the film, I was talking with one of the other posters in the usual spots who only dropped in now and then because she was doing medical work in Africa at the time, a very good sociologist-minded individual whom you could rely on for legal facts in the American History forum and we got to talking about the revelations as to what went wrong with the experiments in regard to ebola virus which may have led to the jump toward HIV (or, the kind of thing we now so fear about Bird Flu in that epidemiology is concerned with jump in viral potency among species).

Sorry, I ruined the pop-corn by using salted butter, I've had to give it up at the movies.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #839 on: June 28, 2007, 01:54:54 PM »

"my wife has become a big fan of Lynch after watching two seasons of Twin Peaks and Mulholland Drive on DVD"

Ps. Dzimas,

I rather dislike the man, Twin Peaks was like dreaming about friends left behind in a non-mythical village in the Midwest. Okay, so I liked his footage of the Mardi Gras floats when he did those in whatever. I liked his infamous dwarf shot to a Robert Blake dialogue

What I am addicted to is Mulholland Drive. I like sexy mysteries Noir such as L.A. Confidential. I hear that Black Dahlia bombed because it didn't have the super-actor power of the previous two films that I've mentioned. It didn't even have what was brought to the early version  by
Gregory Dunne which had actors instead of "graphic".

I have about a dozen pay per view films on my agenda to catch  up with over the "holiday?" and I can make my own popcorn since they are not giving me the movies that I want at the new theater which plays the same things as all the old theaters.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 303
  Print  

Jump to: