Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 22, 2018, 01:19:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 299
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 34012 times)
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #900 on: July 03, 2007, 10:54:26 AM »

A personal favorite, for a handful of reasons.  But it does not really give you a sense of "Cleveland" like American Splendor or Stranger Than Paradise do.

What does it matter?  All is grace.
martinbeck3

VIVA EL CAMPO ARGENTINO

fun+and+lit
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #901 on: July 03, 2007, 11:46:44 AM »

"La Vie en Rose" aka "La Mome"

Cotillard IS Piaf.

A present to all the Sistererns and Brethrens:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjR5xFZxZK8&mode=related&search=

Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #902 on: July 03, 2007, 12:25:36 PM »

As good as American Splendor and Stranger than Paradise are, it is hard for me to imagine the Cleveland Chamber of Commerce endorsing these films.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #903 on: July 03, 2007, 12:30:33 PM »

Same number of shots as scenes, really cool.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #904 on: July 03, 2007, 03:20:52 PM »

barton  re:#905

It's this one that I'm convinced he had in mind.

22. "Doctor in Charge" .... Nurse Dobbs (1 episode, 1973)

Ps,  WHISKEY, Have I got your number?  Maybe you were a burlesque comic in another lifetime.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #905 on: July 03, 2007, 03:25:57 PM »

"La Vie en Rose" aka "La Mome"

Cotillard IS Piaf.

A present to all the Sistererns and Brethrens:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjR5xFZxZK8&mode=related&search=

Merci beaucoup, Martin.     Or, as we say in my family, "Beucoups de merci".
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #906 on: July 03, 2007, 03:58:19 PM »

barton  re:#905

It's this one that I'm convinced he had in mind.

22. "Doctor in Charge" .... Nurse Dobbs (1 episode, 1973)

Ps,  WHISKEY, Have I got your number?  Maybe you were a burlesque comic in another lifetime.

Geez, I only knew Carol Cleveland from Monty Python stuff, didn't know she did anything else.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #907 on: July 03, 2007, 08:16:41 PM »

Yeah, thanks harrie and bart, I don't think anything with blue screen is a good idea unless you have Harry Potter or Spiderman, a known entity, so I don't think it's brain surgery or rocket science to decide not to spend money on "Evan" when you can always make "Iron Man," or any number or superhero movies for less...it's just a poor allocation of resources...

...I don't see the need for the film ultimately, it doesn't really fill any family-friendly fare space that isn't easily otherwise allocated.  The problem is that it's a snowball rolling downhill and it just never stops until everybody is convinging everybody that it's really funny and everybody is going to get rich...and nobody has the sack or the sobriety to put on the brakes...

This was well said J. 

I think I would only say that IMO there was nothing really wrong with the concept or the movie "at a more reasonable price"  -- Once they realized they couldn't do it for less than $50MM, you do have to wonder how it got away from them...   I think you nailed the kind of group think that tends to permeate far too many board rooms in America - -not just in the entertainment industry.  You put a domineering leader in a room with a bunch of people that are in fear of losing their jobs and this is what you get...
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #908 on: July 03, 2007, 08:24:53 PM »

Speaking of John Cusak...

I caught Pushing Tin last night for the first time.  I thought it was pretty funny.   The part that caught me off guard is that Cusak typically plays kind of a lovable character that you can identify with and like...    He played this role the same way (seemingly) but the guy made really bad choices and always let his ego lead him into more and more trouble...and you kept wondering whether he was a good person that just was human and made bad choices...or whether he was just not a very good person after all...

It was almost uncomfortable at points and I think because it reminded me a little bit of me when I was younger...

Good movies are supposed to challenge you -- right?
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #909 on: July 03, 2007, 09:47:23 PM »

I think John Cusack has a little bit of a screen presence and think that he gets a lot of cred for basically being a sympathetic, misunderstood type who is trying to figure out how he ever got into a particular situation.  He does frustration really well, but I think a lot of actors, particularly Robert Downey, Jr., and many, many others, get along on a sort of ability to draw you into their sale, even though you should know better...

...I don't think of Cusack as a "great actor," but then, I would rather see great entertainment as often as supposedly great movies, which are only really great about one-fifth of the time...

I mean I like Cusack, and liked his career mgt. up until "Must Love Dogs" (roof, roof) and the one about the Martian Boy or K-Pax, the Early Years, etc., right when the King one came out I thought he was about to jump the couch and then he gets right back on stable ground along with efforts like "Identity."

Trojan:  Thanks for the affirmation of my thinking regarding "Evan," I mean, asking the question "why do I want to see this movie?" over and over must help you make money in Hollywood and that one I never got, particularly because you have so many computer geeks to pay for fake animals.  It's like "Building the Pyramids," well, you know the CGI is going to cost a bundle so why not have some guy put a lot of mashed potatoes on his dinner table instead, it actually works to have stars and ideas, or at least one star and a tired idea, or a tired star and a provocative idea, I mean, watching animals board an ark is like thinking people would go see the Titanic sink, well, nevermind...
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #910 on: July 04, 2007, 12:30:07 AM »

trojanhorse, re:#918

"I caught Pushing Tin last night for the first time.  I thought it was pretty funny."

Pretty funny? I thought, "Hysterical"  Everybody trying to one up each other on the tower screens. Wasn't the computer-game less prevalent in 1999 than it is today? The tension was incredible. If you thought Billy Bob's devil-may-care-trip for dealing with it was the funniest thing seen in a long time, what's to be said for Angelina Jolie playing "straight woman" as his wife who does this with such a poker face(of solemnity, not uglified)knowing she is superior to all that, it was incredibly funny at the time, simply because -- we hardly knew her. Once you get used to this as really her, it loses that first effect but it is a hoot because she is standing everyone up, having them on, as witness the wife-swapping arrangement. I don't think that I really remembered who Cate Blanchett was either at the time; it's like my mind went blank and forgot that she plays more elegant captivating flirtatious things than the casting person had her programmed for here.

The best part is looking back and remembering that Ronald Reagan had deregulated the Tower personnel just about seventeen years earlier so that, by the time of this movie, we had  one disaster right after another with planes slipping off JFK for a dunk in the ocean because they slipped on the ice and didn't take off. Just,"Dunk!" We actually had more trouble with departures than arrivals. 1999 was the year of what I now call the All Saints Day massacre, or  All Hallows, if you wish, that was taking the northern route from New York to Europe where it would connect with a flight to Israel. Thus, it had a passenger list of Middle-eastern military types, and a few civilian passengers from here, there, and everywhere who picked it up in New York on the night of Halloween and ran into interference not long after they got out not much beyond the coastline. We have military installations in that area to monitor possible incoming missiles from the Northeast. A woman with a little knowledge of physics and math figured it out and reported it in The New York Review of Books, and the word went down to subjugate her with heavy insinuation that women can't figure these things out.  Washington,D.C. didn't want people to stop taking 8 hour flights to Europe or whatever and they weren't about to scrap our missile defense. Katie Couric decided because of the majority of passengers and the pilot and co-pilot that it was a suicide mission because she's such a super analyst.  I don't know that anyone subjugated her to any undue criticism for using the guess method and being female. Not until this last month anyway.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #911 on: July 04, 2007, 01:49:31 AM »

Ronald Reagan?  Sure. 
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #912 on: July 04, 2007, 02:51:12 AM »

"Transformers" did a 9 Monday, huh?"

The rat did 8, it think this thing is geeked and most kids go for the rat and not the computer robot.

I have no idea though.

I thought a 10 Wed. was good for DHWOAVandlivefree...but I was half right, meaning it was a happy meal, the servers are paid but they are looking for more people to feed next summer...

I never heard of something opening on a Mon., but the "Rat" creep has to be bad for business, just a guess, I know it sounds conra conventional wisdom but the last time Michael Bay did that he mad Logan's Run with nobodies, and pick your poison before, the retreat to animation seems especially "pussy," pardon girls, what, paying $40M before BBdeuce hits theaters not really doing it for the studio? 

So, before that we've got the Affleck one that killed that Clancy franchise and you found out a way to sink the Titanic by making an action movie out of "Pearl Harbor" because you have not only no vision of what it felt like to be attacked at that time, but because you are actually a dumb person, dumb enough to think, "nobody remembers 'Pearl Harbor'," well, dude, I can not believe people still talk to you but rock on...if transmo is your way out of movie jail you rock that thing.....but know that you SUPERSUCK.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #913 on: July 04, 2007, 03:53:34 AM »

If GM is banking on Transformers to pull them out of the hole, they better hope for big numbers this weekend, which I don't think they are going to get.  But, maybe they can give an advance copy of the DVD to every customer who makes a GM purchase.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #914 on: July 04, 2007, 05:25:11 AM »

That whole thing of making the SUV skew on the demand side of the equation has been somewhat undermined by the access to cheap oil, but I don't pretend to presume the economics of what we are doing over there.  Two dollar gas and the Envoy looks fine, three buck gets you a macked out Accord/Camry, and future certainty.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 299
  Print  

Jump to: