Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 22, 2018, 01:45:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 303
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 40632 times)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #915 on: July 04, 2007, 02:02:50 PM »

dzimas,

Could be the last word on why Mulholland Falls differs from Mulholland Drive.

Fearing that I had mislabeled Jennifer Connelly as Kathy Gardiner or some such, I went back to cast and noticed something about the director.

Not Japanese as one might suppose by a passing glance, the director of Mulholland Falls is Lee Tamahori who directed: Once We Were Warriors.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #916 on: July 04, 2007, 03:41:58 PM »

I liked Once We Were Warriors a lot.  Sad movie but so well done.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #917 on: July 05, 2007, 01:13:23 AM »

Crud I liked "stranger than fiction...," but that whole "such a long time to be gone and a short time to be here..." gives me the usual trouble.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #918 on: July 05, 2007, 04:45:09 AM »

Fascinating looking at All Time Box Offices, adjusted for inflation:

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

I had no idea The Graduate was such a big hit.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #919 on: July 05, 2007, 04:57:58 AM »

That whole thing of making the SUV skew on the demand side of the equation has been somewhat undermined by the access to cheap oil, but I don't pretend to presume the economics of what we are doing over there.  Two dollar gas and the Envoy looks fine, three buck gets you a macked out Accord/Camry, and future certainty.

I don't know if it was the first movie with such automotive tie-ins, but as I remember Caterpillar figured heavily into Aliens, especially in Ripley's last stand.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #920 on: July 05, 2007, 09:35:45 AM »

I was surprised at how much I liked "Drowining Mona". 

First of all, I think that "____ing ____" titles should be banned.  I mean, come on now.  Sure, "Raising Arizona" was great, but now there are like 20 "___ing ____" titled movies a year - enough already!!

But anyways, "DM" was really hilarious, with an ensemble cast playing low-life characters in a quaint-looking town in the mountains in rural NY state, which was chosen (in the movie) by the Yugo company as their "test market" or whatever, so all of the characters drive Yugos.  So if you like strange automotive tie-ins, maybe "Drowning Mona" is worth a look.

I found it to be very funny, beyond the Yugo thing.  I generally avoid anything in which Bette Midler might appear, but she's one of the best things about this movie, playing the shrewish title character perfectly and with glee, as the last person in the world you would ever want to meet.  Some of the funniest scenes involve Casey Affleck having to be polite and quiet as he has to sit there at the kitchen table and endure her ravings as he waits for his landscaping business partner, her idiot degenerate son (who is also hilarious), to get ready to go to with him to their job. 

If you can get past the whole "___ing ___" title thing, and I managed to do so, then you might find "DM" to be a nice little chuckle-inducer.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 09:37:27 AM by oilcanboyd23 » Logged
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

That's What I'm Talking About

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #921 on: July 05, 2007, 09:45:24 AM »

I watched Rebecca last night for the millionth time.  It's one of my favorite classics of the silver screen, but I find the more I watch it, the more hackneyed it seems.  Lawrence Olivier is quite ridiculous - as he said in his old age, "I was such a prig back then."  His theatrical acting is very amusing, especially when he loses his temper.  And all those scenes where they're in a car with the fake background moving furiously behind them, including bumps on the road, whereas they sat perfectly still.

If you guys are willing, could we have a discussion about just what it is that people thought was so great about this movie?  Mrs. Danvers stole the show, of course.  I'm curious as to just when in the timeline of film fake car scenes became unacceptable, even laughable.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #922 on: July 05, 2007, 10:22:06 AM »

...It's one of my favorite classics of the silver screen, but I find the more I watch it, the more hackneyed it seems... I'm curious as to just when in the timeline of film fake car scenes became unacceptable, even laughable.

"North By Northwest" had some funny car (driver's face and fake wheel in the foregound, movie screen in place of the rear windshield in the background, etc., like in "Toonces, The Cat Who Could Drive") scenes, when the bad guys poured the booze down Cary Grant's throat and put him behind the wheel.

I loved "NxNW" and it's better than 99% of movies they make these days, I know, so when I say this, try to resist the urge to say, "Come on OCB, get your head out of your ass, you know that old movies are way better than new movies, etc."  You're right, it is, and they are, but still, for some reason I have a hard time watching old movies for the reasons to which Desdemona222b alludes.

I mean, "Miller's Crossing" is my 2nd favorite movie ever, so when I read it was based on "The Glass Key", I said, hey, I like Dashiell Hammett books, and I loved "MC", so I'll check out "TGK".  As I watched "TGK", the same thought crossed my mind that has crossed my mind so many times before when watching old movies - that the actors all seemed stiff or something, like they're throwing lines at each other.

I know, they are saying lines, it's a movie, etc., but still - the whole "Hello Joe, whattya know, 23-skiddoo, say-mac, yeah, see," etc., with everyone in the movie sounding like they're doing an Edward G. Robinson impression thing kind of makes me tune out.  And I know, you'd be right to say, "Come on OCB, you're complaining about mannered-sounding dialogue, and yet you say you like Coen Bros movies?  They wrote the book on mannered-sounding dialogue...," but for some reason it's just different, I don't know why.

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #923 on: July 05, 2007, 10:24:51 AM »

For the record, "Eating Raoul" preceded such Verb/Name films as Raising Arizona and Driving Miss Daisy.  I have yet to rent "Feeling Minnesota," another member of the verb/U.S. State title subgenre.  Sometimes you just have to go with your gut.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #924 on: July 05, 2007, 10:31:50 AM »

"Sure, 'Raising Arizona' was great, but..."

I agree with your premise of ___ing movies, but in the case of RA, at least it was a joke on "raising hell" (please note that in MC, the quote "I guess you think you've 'raised hell...."/"When I've raised hell sister you'll know it..."), and not so much the case of "Feeling Minnesota," etc., but I guess in that case you are still feeling a place, but it's not a good joke or a good title.  Whenever you have something like "Judging Amy," see, she is a judge, and so that makes for a very quaint title, i.e., in looking at the TV when that show is on, in a sense, we are all "judging Amy," or her life.  But again, not funny.

I forget the number of films that have the -ing thing going for it but the worst are the one's with someone's name as the subject in name, a person, of the whatevery you are -ingING...which Mona fits the bill, but I agree that it's a film that's worth a second look when I thought it was going to be something like one of those FIND THE WILL BECAUSE DADDY IS DEAD type of allegedly quirky movies, this one was sincerely twisted and smart and funny.  

I'm drawing a blank on the "-ing" movies at the moment, but maybe that's because they are so forgettable and typically have some sort of "aaaaawwwww" or sentimental alleged appeal.  

Having said that,  I liked "Killing Zoe" as one of the pulper than pulp fiction films along with "Things to do in Denver when You're Dead," that actually hold up to scrutiny, I forget the other films that tried to hunt the same dog and hope that KZ didn't precede PF, but anyway, most of them were utter failures devoid of imagination, innovation, humor or heart.  I think I'm forgetting a couple that could arguably be added to the list like the Desert Kiefer Sutherland one but most especially not "Boondock Saints," the prom queen of shit ripoffs with no brain.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #925 on: July 05, 2007, 10:51:46 AM »

It's mostly a bummer when the 2nd word is an object, like

Saving Silverman
Finding Forrester
Pushing Tin

but it's not so bad when it's not, like

Starting Over
Falling Down
Being There

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #926 on: July 05, 2007, 10:57:46 AM »

Guarding Tess.

Haven't seen this, but I've heard it's rather bland and cloying.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #927 on: July 05, 2007, 11:06:21 AM »

Owning Mahoney
Taking Lives
Losing Isiah
etc.

When you've got a "the" in there, it lessens the blow:

Gleaming The Cube
Touching The Void

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #928 on: July 05, 2007, 11:38:45 AM »

Yeah, but you can look toward the prevailing wind and run your fingers through your hair, and say, "Baby, maybe I got too greedy out there [pause] gleaming...the...[tearing up]...cube..."

I knew a guy in college who would enter a room [southern accent] with "Well, JEAN-CLAUDE VANNE DAMN!!! you sorry _____  _____ers, any of you ladies drinking this [football] morning!!!"  Or some variation thereon.

At least they never made "Tickling the Ivorys" about a square family that has Robin Williams move in as an older retarded guy.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #929 on: July 05, 2007, 11:43:28 AM »

I always like thinking of provocative titles, like "Dash the Hope," or "I Bash Harold" or "I Somebody Something," no, that's really the title, get it?

Or you could just "Molly," [glug]
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 303
  Print  

Jump to: