Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 18, 2018, 02:21:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 304
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 52741 times)
Admin
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: April 16, 2007, 08:43:18 PM »

Discuss your favorite movies.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 12:39:46 PM »

Burns Carpenter, Man Of Science
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 01:07:02 PM by oilcanboyd23 » Logged
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 06:27:20 PM »

Well, OC & Stiggs comes highly recommended.....
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 11:14:28 PM »

What's the dizzle my hizzle? 

I posted at length last night (typical jbottle Sat. night rant), and System Operators had chosen to change format and silence the bottle once again (joke).

No, I saw "Fracture" with the sigboth and concur with bart that you should wait for the DVD, and in the words of a funny friend, wait a little longer.

It wasn't nearly the test of talents that Tobes had promised at The Onion ("B") and was at best a "C-" in my estimation.  I noted that Gen-Y(?) Ryan Gosling, six years junior to Edward Norton, had made a similar (meaning good) impression that his Gen-X predecessor had made (meaning great, though) with the same director in a court procedural 11 years earlier in 1996 offering "Primal Fear."  Good, but not great, Gosling has made a case for being the smart guy A-lister waiting on a great part the way Norton still is having made his way quite well...

...I also noted that Cusack is in need of a career check with "Martian Boy," or my sigboth missed-joke "WTF?  K-Pax:  The Early Years???" and winner joke "Nothing a little Ritalin can't clean up..." that registered with her and a few seats over (I'm terrible at the trailer trashing with a couple of beers in the belly...)

Anyway, I plan very soon to get hammered and make controversial statements here very soon, including box-office predictions and movie pitches, and last night included a link to my unremitting grief trailer from IMDB (including the name of the craft "Icarus II") of the new Danny Boyle movie "Sunshine" which in my most paranoid moments was ripped from the jokes in the NYTFF, because it is literally the same pitch, with adjustments, with Michelle Yeoh and the guy from Breakfast on Pluto which might make it a Summer Try like "The Core," and naturally I had a little sadness accompany my failure to submit a "Rule of 2's" effort script in a timely manner due to beer abuse and general lack of ambition and cultural apathy.

Nevertheless, I remain your steadfast huckleberry friend,  jbottle...
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 11:16:54 PM »

That should've been 11 yrs. junior to Norton or "Primal Fear," identical to the difference in their ages, I must've said "six" thinking of "1996," the year of PF's release.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 09:25:31 AM »

I must've said "six" thinking of....

The number 2 times the number 3, hmmmmmmm?
liquidsilver
Superhero Member

Herpes, the gift that keeps on giving.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 09:28:36 AM »

Anybody see Screen Door Jesus?  Is it worth watching?

"I hate listening to peoples dreams. It's like flipping through a stack of photographs. If I'm not in any of them and nobody's having sex, I just don't care."
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 09:52:15 AM »

...I also noted that Cusack is in need of a career check with "Martian Boy," or my sigboth missed-joke "WTF?  K-Pax:  The Early Years???" and winner joke "Nothing a little Ritalin can't clean up..." that registered with her and a few seats over (I'm terrible at the trailer trashing with a couple of beers in the belly...)

Okay, and this is the part where I ask why John Cusack is making a couple of films with Hilary Duff -- is there something going on on the side? I kinda hope not, though whatever floats your boat ... --  and comment that I like about every other John Cusack movie.  And with every every other JC movie, I say "John, what were you thinking?"  As in "High Fidelity" (yay) and "America's Sweethearts" (nay).   And how the in-production future JC film "Talking with Dog" seems to rip off both "Children of Men" and me and the hubby, because when the mutt's in the car, it's obligatory for one of us to say "Dog is my co-pilot." 

I haven't seen "Screen Door Jesus," I am sorry to say. But it looks like something that might play of IFC or Sundance, so I probably will catch at least part of it.  I kind of like the quirky stuff, and it looks like SDJ might fit that bill. I will definitely keep an eye out for it.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 01:47:18 PM »

I wan't kidding, just incase:  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0415965/

Can you believe this?  With Cillian Murphy and Michelle Yeoh:  crud.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0448134/trailers-screenplay-E31240-10-2
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 01:59:31 PM »

I'm sorry, jbottle.  I thought you already knew you'd been intellectually raped, or at least ravaged. Not that that makes it pleasant or anything.  I can't speak to Michelle Yeoh, but I really like Cillian Murphy, so maybe it won't be a total bust.  Though, I guess for your sake we should all hope it is. Any way you can rush into production and make them the #2 in this Rule of 2s scenario?
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2007, 05:10:30 PM »

No, I knew, but the point is that I would've been at the ready when somebody said:  "Where's my 'going into the sun movie!!!'....I NEED IT YES-TUR-DAYYYYY!!!" except I don't think that when it's Danny Boyle they think let's piggyback Michael Bay's marketing, because even Michael Bay isn't Michael Bay anymore, and, well, anyway I didn't write very much of it and "played myself."  Seeing the trailer just makes me very melancholy...but it sure doesn't look very funny.  Mine was supposed to be funny.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007, 10:31:29 PM »

What would you say when all of the witnesses were against you?

"I'm innocent."
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 09:33:26 AM »

...I really like Cillian Murphy...

Yeah, he's okay, but he's no Dave Duchovny.

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 04:50:28 PM »

...I really like Cillian Murphy...

Yeah, he's okay, but he's no Dave Duchovny.

Well, who is, really? 
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2007, 05:55:10 PM »

Discuss your favorite movies.

some of favorite sports-themed movies:

Bad News Bears (original)
The Longest Yard (original)
The Karate Kid
Field of Dreams

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 304
  Print  

Jump to: