Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 26, 2018, 09:41:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 303
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 41193 times)
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1035 on: July 11, 2007, 10:07:31 PM »

No, you just said, huh, hick actor, what gives, it's an old thing that gives wonder.....no problem.....just think what would've happened if he had gone to the Yale Shool of Drama, etc.

Not bad for a hick who didn't chase money the way Yale's most famous alum, Robin Williams, has...he made a movie about shit coming out of an RV.....and HUH, that guy went to Yale School of Drama, welp, it just goes to learn ya...
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1036 on: July 11, 2007, 10:14:47 PM »

I'll also point out that Ashley Judd came from Kentucky and turned out to be the only one capable of making the "Ashley Judd Movie," rip...

I actually like William Hurt, but he seems like such an ac-tor, that it kind of bugs me that he's tortured on a trust fund type whether it's true or not...

They are talking about doing a re-make of "The Big Chill," if Jobeth Williams is still alive it's an easy go project for all, and even if Jobet Williams isn't still alive that could be a great reason to get together like the first one, or whoever doesn't agree to be in it because of money comitted suicide, it really almost writes itself.....

Caveat:  You use all the same songs, and as it turns out Jeff Goldblum is now a hooker/trannie.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1037 on: July 11, 2007, 10:51:24 PM »

Oh, and Hurt did come from a loaded family, attended Julliard, and turned down roles in "Jurassic Park," and the lead in "Misery," and was paid one and a quarter million for wearing a straw-hat in "The Village."

I would've liked to have seen him in Rabe's "Hurly Burly," which he won or was nominated for a Tony in '85, but I was in high school drinking beer and chasing tail.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1038 on: July 11, 2007, 11:26:39 PM »

madupont,
The NYT and I don't always see eye to eye; but then I have no taste.  They can call him a schlockmeister or whatever they want, but I still like his work.  I mean, the guy saw something in Johnny Depp a long, long time ago - he (Waters) is not without talent.  Sure, Depp deserves credit for the work he does; but in my book, Waters deserves some credit for seeing that Depp could successfully carry out his vision and for giving Depp that work.

I'd also like to clarify -- I'm a fan of Waters, not necessarily of Ms. Locane.  So while I'm sorry her career is/was hit and miss (and miss and miss and miss), I'm not too surprised about it. 

jbottle,
I wouldn't call Hairspray and CryBaby completely representative of Waters' work.  Some of his earlier stuff, like Polyester, Pink Flamingos (the one where Divine eats dog poop), Female Trouble is seriously weird, maybe shocking to some, and not all that female-friendly.  I went to them with drunken frat guys, not other girls.  But then, not everything has to float your boat, right?  C'est la vie, c'est la guerre, and vive le difference.

Robin Williams went to Yale?  I know he went to Juilliard -- more importantly, he went to elementary school with my oldest sister for a year or two.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1039 on: July 11, 2007, 11:58:42 PM »

He was different even that early -- I think it was in second grade they were in the same class. One day he came to school with his clothes on backwards, stuff like that. 

I figure the fact that she remembers Williams was in her class is some indication that he was unusual.  I can name a couple of kids from my second-grade class, but they're mostly kids I went through the whole K-6 (or more) with together so there was constant reinforcement of who they were.

And I guess I should confess, I've seen RV.  Twice.  I love Kristen Chynoweth and Jeff Daniels. Honest, that's all it is.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1040 on: July 12, 2007, 01:01:06 AM »

harrie, re:#1051

"I'm not too surprised about it."    I wasn't either. It was when I first noticed, that unlike ordinary practice in theatre-parlance of line rehearsal, when I'd read to run-through her lines , her response was flat, her perception was that it was only necessary to memorize the lines.

Consequently, under the theory that the director would take care of what he wanted, I noticed as time went by, her readings over a four year span  had an emotional range of exactly one fall-back display of temperament. It never occurred to her to take the time to practice experiencing the range, or to develop a technique  to induce what could be conveyed. I found that odd. That's when you suggest acting classes of your choice. SOMEWHERE. Before it is too late.

There are a couple of odd things that happen, I find it interesting to observe off the wall or unusual reactions miscued by what people think the dialog is about or the situation, almost inevitably people going about their daily lives with no other choice would suggest: Go, to Wellesley,dear.    Or, "go to Vassar; Sarah Lawrence?  (What they are saying is: get a degree.)

Meanwhile, my ears did not pick up the throw-away line when she said,"I want to be a Star,".  It sound's like the celebreality forum of two weeks ago, following Paris Hilton. Since the after remark in protest that always followed was, "not an actor."   That was the real wish.

Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1041 on: July 12, 2007, 04:04:53 AM »

William Hurt could have sat on his butt and not done another thing after the performance he made in Kiss of the Spider Woman and you could still rank him up there with the best.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1042 on: July 12, 2007, 04:40:41 AM »

I liked Hurt in Smoke, one of my favorite movies.  I believe it was a Paul Auster script, providing a very intimate sense of Brooklyn.  I've since read his Brooklyn Follies, which has a corner shot on the cover very similar to the one Augie took everyday, leading to a very touching moment when Hurt's character, Paul, recognizes his deceased wife in some of the photos.  So many wonderful side stories, such as Augie telling how he came to possess the camera.
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1043 on: July 12, 2007, 05:29:39 AM »

Damn, Dzimas.  As many times as I've watched Smoke I missed that.  She was in one of the photos?  Keitel was extra good in that movie, too.  In fact, everyone was.  Fine job of casting.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1044 on: July 12, 2007, 08:59:09 AM »

I haven't seen "Smoke" but I liked "The Music Of Chance" a lot.  It was one of those nice times when you really like a performance when you didn't expect it.  I rambled about it quite a bit on the NYTFF, so the mention of Paul Auster is like a triggering mechanism or whatever.

Anyways, I had read the book before I saw the movie, and when I pictured Jack Pozzi, I certainly didn't think of James Spader.  When he first shows up in the beginning of the movie, I was like, "Ugh, James Spader?  I like him and all, but there's no way I can put up with 90 minutes of him trying to play Jack Pozzi, he's clearly miscast...," and then like 2 seconds later, I was like, "Oh yeah, he's perfect, I can't imagine anyone else playing this part," etc. 

« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 09:00:56 AM by oilcanboyd23 » Logged
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1045 on: July 12, 2007, 11:38:47 AM »

Wasn't it William Hurt in Body Heat?   I think I stopped paying attention after that...
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1046 on: July 12, 2007, 11:41:00 AM »

My only Ashley Judd story is that I was in New Orleans when they were filming Double Jeapordy

We actually ran into them while they were filming the scene in Cemetary (I think #2 - can't remeber the numbers but I remeber where it is located in town).

MY wife and I waited patiently for the movie to come out to relive our trip.  The movie was mostly memorable for that reason alone...
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1047 on: July 12, 2007, 11:46:57 AM »

Harrie said:
"for some reason, I thought madupont was referring to the female lead (the girl from the right side of the tracks, Polly Bergen's niece). "

yes...I was being purposely obtuse (or is it purposefully obtuse?).

It is a form of humor that I frequently use...although it seems to be more effective in person for some reason...can't imagine why, offhand...

...some might even say I overuse the mechanism...again, I can't quite imagine why...
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1048 on: July 12, 2007, 11:50:32 AM »

I'm sorry...I probably overdid it there, but after laying down so many hidden gems that go completely unrecognized, sometimes you have to force the issue and tread into the dreaded overt mode
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1049 on: July 12, 2007, 12:03:17 PM »

That's okay, if I don't know a person (or on the internet, "know" a person), I assume they're not joking around whenever they say something that could go any number of ways.   In the past, I've been sure someone had to be kidding, then found out they weren't, then fell over myself explaining, apologizing, etc.  So I will file your obtuse/deadpan characteristic for future reference and use it when applicable.  Hopefully.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 303
  Print  

Jump to: