Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 22, 2018, 04:25:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 304
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 53294 times)
Bart
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1050 on: July 12, 2007, 12:31:26 PM »

Hurt was good in Body Heat and KotSW, and generally solid in the 80s.  Lately, I've only seen him playing sinister characters, all with his strange deadened voice -- as if evil is best represented by a kind of lack of vitality. 

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
kitinkaboodle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1051 on: July 12, 2007, 12:52:12 PM »

Hi, barton!

If you are a Netflix subscriber and have some time (Melba postings support some time) you may enjoy Hurt in Rare Birds available for instant watching.  Good while you're working on your shoulder rolls or what have you... Cool

Don't dance on a volcano...
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1052 on: July 12, 2007, 01:14:57 PM »

I did like William Hurt in Body Heat; but it helps that I liked the movie itself and that Hurt played a dupe, so a little dullness was called for. IMHO, anyway.  I don't think I've seen Kiss of the Spider Woman, though I remember the hoopla.  Same goes for The Big Chill.

But I thought it was genius casting in Broadcast News to make Hurt the vapid newscaster who looks brilliant as long as he's reading Albert Brooks' words. It's like no acting was required for this part.  In general, I'm a Hurt detractor; he's just too subtle for me, I guess. Even in Altered States, while he's transmogrifying into a prehistoric creature or whatever, he's just kind of watching his arm like "Hmmm, this is different..."

Just my opinion, worth $.02 or less.
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1053 on: July 12, 2007, 02:17:34 PM »

Kitnkaboodle, I hadn't thought of Rare Birds in a while.  Well worth a person's time, if only for the inventor's (I can't remember who played the part of the eccentric) submarine follies.

I've often wondered why William Hurt is attracted to film scripts that are "Peter Principaled", in that the Hurt character is elevated to just beyond his ability to cope.  Of course, in real life, most of us at times are placed thusly by situations that develop, not of our making.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1054 on: July 12, 2007, 03:09:20 PM »

Hurt was good in Body Heat and KotSW, and generally solid in the 80s.  Lately, I've only seen him playing sinister characters, all with his strange deadened voice -- as if evil is best represented by a kind of lack of vitality. 

"...all with his strange deadened voice -- as if evil is best represented by a kind of lack of vitality."

BARTON, I think you've best described it because The Good Shepherd was where I dropped out of being able to work out  any more toleration of those characteristics.  A role which made the story of Aldrich Ames very exciting by comparison;but of course that had two excellent actors, whose quirks, I have learned to enjoy, as if they were merely strange acquaintances, perhaps even more so than some we pass everyday in the forums?

We understood whom Hurt was in The Big Chill(what appropo casting by name?)since we knew lots of guys like that as a result of the war.  I guess we we will know more again, with a difference that is simply our era. How much will their schtick vary from post-Vietnam.

Body Heat was a standard black and white noir from the Forties, in Remake with an exciting Kathleen Turner; so that made the cut.

It was in the film made from Hector Babenco's, Kiss of the Spider Woman that we got the consumate performance with a charismatic Raul Julia and a flippant Bill Hurt. I am wondering at this point, if anyone here remembers what the reason was for this story and eventual film? Why it ever came to light? Martinbeck3 might even recall it as a very,very, pre-Bolano about reality.  I already know the criticism on this line of thought and my reply in advance is: Sure it is Art. No problem. All art does start with a raison d'etre. And, Kiss of the Spider Woman, had one big time.

Still in all, if given my druthers, purely on weird personalities for the best actors who plays unusual characters, I will take John Hurt over Bill,any day.  Did you ever catch the little thing he did so elegantly opposite the young actor of what's his number,90210?  Right, Jason Priestley
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1055 on: July 12, 2007, 03:37:11 PM »

It wasn't fair not to give you the exact title on that one.

"..the cultivated gay writer aroused and obsessed with struggling "pretty-boy" actor Jason Priestley in Love and Death on Long Island (1997);".

Yet, my favorite is still, White Mischief, where John Hurt is Gilbert Colville (I expect he made that name up for himself).

Everybody else is in it too and, when I checked the title, realized that I could not list them all after Ms. Scacchi but was amazed that maybe Dzimas wrote the review?  Or, it just stayed in his mind since 1987 as the most impressive scene. I, of course, as a woman have completely forgotten  about it.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1056 on: July 12, 2007, 03:49:35 PM »

When I say I purchased 12 tickets to "Derailed," I expect everyone to assume that I saw "Derailed" 12 times.
Bart
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1057 on: July 12, 2007, 04:00:49 PM »

Thanks, Kitin, I'll look for Rare Birds and "Hurt" myself a little. 

Anyone see the latest Die Hard (Germ., literally, "The Hard")?  I'm looking for almost any excuse to get into air conditioning, it being Nebraska and July and all that.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1058 on: July 12, 2007, 04:09:34 PM »

The heat and humitity is downright opressive here in the Sovereign State of South Carolina, makes me want to go to the icebox and find something cool to drink.  We had a terrible scare of a thunder-storm with winds of up to 60 mph., but again, and I had cautioned everyone for calm considering it was the Federal Boys at the National Weather Service making the TV alert come on, it turned out to be nothing.  I'm not saying those federal boys don't know what they're doing up in Charleston, but my right laig and my bassett hound can tell you when there's weather coming.  Oh, well, yes, that li-bation...medacity I tell you!!!  Mendacity and lies!!!  Things Big Daddy things....."Boy...you know what my father's legacy to me was!!!  An empty suitcase!!!"  Wait, where was I know, that damn heat can be right disorientin'...ladies, sit down before you feel faint...
chauncey.g

« Reply #1059 on: July 12, 2007, 07:23:04 PM »

That's okay, if I don't know a person (or on the internet, "know" a person), I assume they're not joking around whenever they say something that could go any number of ways.   In the past, I've been sure someone had to be kidding, then found out they weren't, then fell over myself explaining, apologizing, etc.  So I will file your obtuse/deadpan characteristic for future reference and use it when applicable.  Hopefully.

inside jokes are for insiders.
chauncey.g

« Reply #1060 on: July 12, 2007, 07:37:54 PM »

I will take John Hurt over Bill,any day.

i'd probably have to agree. i like william, but had to go to imdb to see which of his flicks i had seen. have to admit that i have seen fewer than i thought. he was good in "gorky park" though.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1061 on: July 12, 2007, 08:16:20 PM »

That's okay, if I don't know a person (or on the internet, "know" a person), I assume they're not joking around whenever they say something that could go any number of ways.   In the past, I've been sure someone had to be kidding, then found out they weren't, then fell over myself explaining, apologizing, etc.  So I will file your obtuse/deadpan characteristic for future reference and use it when applicable.  Hopefully.

inside jokes are for insiders.

Are you calling me an Outsider?  Then I wanna be Matt Dillon.
chauncey.g

« Reply #1062 on: July 12, 2007, 08:25:27 PM »

(smile)

i'll be pony boy. don't forget the peanut butter. or was it bologna? been too long since i seen that one.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1063 on: July 12, 2007, 11:07:09 PM »

Harrie:  Whenever I accuse an actor of playing themselves, I always wonder, what if they are just "acting," I don't know that William Hurt is really kind of a boring, impenetrable, and pensive guy, but probably, but then, just because he plays one on TV, and I think he does a great job of playing a horny slob not inattentive to material concern in "Body Heat," but anyway...

I thought that if he had the ballz to be funnier in "Mr. Brooks," or if he had better lines (...he should have been calling Costner a "p-word" the whole time, c'mon, you lesbian, let's kill some people, "I see a tree by the road, go hug it, Brooksy...[brakes screeching] and then Costner gets to say "How many people have we killed together, huh?  Who did all the dirty work?  And you just get Hurt going, "Because you were the one who wanted to get wet..." or whatever...

You can go from funny to creepy to funny to creepy, but to go from family to Dane Cook to William Hurt to Kevin Costner.....it's like rename the movie "1001 ways to kill yourself with a Milk Dud..."

If Costner had gone, ok, I get it, the only way this movie is funny is if I play a successful guy who hallucinates that he's a serial killer or not, and William Hurt plays kind of a fraternity egg-on guy that I can't get out of my head, and Dane Cook is an intern sychophant who I want to kill but he wants to learn how to be a multi-millionaire, and I can't kill him because I'm not a serial killer I'm a successful businessman and this guy is just sucking up to money...

Instead you almost get a diatribe on how the boring off the boring and the boring go to see it...that, my brother, is the truly frightening thing...
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1064 on: July 13, 2007, 01:03:14 AM »

There was that one movie where Hurt played opposite of Deneuve. I can't remember what it was now but it was fun to watch if a bit tedious at times.  And then there was Children of a Lesser God, which I thought he was excellent in, not to mention how good Marlee Matlin was.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 304
  Print  

Jump to: