Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 26, 2018, 09:41:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 303
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 41194 times)
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1065 on: July 13, 2007, 01:06:04 AM »

I thought his role in The Big Chill was one of his weaker ones.  It didn't carry with it much resonance.  He was the stereotypical slacker who just wanted a cabin to chill out in with a young muse in a very flexible Meg Tilly.  Too bad all his parts weren't in order.  A Vietnam War accident as I remember.
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1066 on: July 13, 2007, 02:31:24 AM »

Accidental Tourist had everybody in it.  Gina Davis with lace-topped ankle socks and high heels, the dog, Turner and her luscious mouth, the maddenly eccentric family (they drove me nearly nuts) . . . I watch this film about once a year.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1067 on: July 13, 2007, 09:55:22 AM »

Msr. Donot Remove,

I was reminded the other night that the best leading man to play opposite Deneuve was David Bowie in   The Hunger   but I wasn't ready to watch it again. It is too intense.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1068 on: July 13, 2007, 10:12:09 AM »

GĂ©rard Depardieu may have something to say about that,

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080610/
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1069 on: July 13, 2007, 10:14:54 AM »

The Shame,

KUALA LUMPUR (AFP) - Malaysian Muslims have called for a ban on the blockbuster movie "Evan Almighty," saying it is offensive to their religion, state media reported Friday.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070713/ennew_afp/entertainmentfilmus
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1070 on: July 13, 2007, 10:28:33 AM »

Per Harrie's mention, I rented The Prime Gig -- while I can admire its offbeat quality and good perfs from Ed Harris, Vince Vaughn, Julia Ormond, and Rory Cochrane, I wasn't quite sure what the movie wanted to be.  (nice to see Wallace Shawn doing his cranky misfit thing in the early boiler room scenes, though)  Though it starts with a snappy Glengarry Glen Ross feel, that slacks off early and we spend a rather leisurely hour getting Vaughn used to his new telemarketing pitch (an investment scam, run by Ed Harris, who seizes every frame in which he appears), taking scenic walks with his new GF, and bedding down cozily while the new GF (Ormond, who is Harris' partner, but no longer involved with him, she assures Vaughn) removes key parts of his skeptical brain via his penis.  We know where it's going about the time that he starts raking in money and she starts begging him to marry her so she can get her green card (she's British, it seems, and really really needs a green card).  When the con-within-the-con is ultimately revealed, the film peters out and ends abruptly, as if to give the viewer a taste of what it's like to scammed.  

Still, it's fun to watch, a film populated by the sort of actors who hold the attention with their basic physical presence --- Vince Vaughn is one of those amazingly loose collections of joints, a man composed mostly of legs and arms and shoulders, and it's amusing just to watch him trot down the street or leap up a flight of stairs.  As a nice contrast, Ed Harris is an intense and tightly-wound bundle of muscle and gristle, someone you feel will only find repose on his deathbed.  Cochrane, playing a crippled and troubled roommate of Vaughn's, seems to perform the plot function that a child might in another such film -- a motivator for the hero to go out and make some money and provide protection from the harsh world.  But Cochrane also serves to show us a kind of decency and compassion in Vaughn's otherwise cynical and dishonest character, which presents something of a problem in terms of figuring out Vaughn's actions towards the end --- he is scamming an elderly woman, apparently feels a serious qualm about taking her life savings, but allows himself to be egged on by the team, and makes the kill.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1071 on: July 13, 2007, 10:39:50 AM »

I thought that The Bill Chill was pre-Slacker and that the new Bill Hurt was the epitome of every Vietnam vet drug connection from about 1969 on.
This was (I think?) an intro for Ms.Tilly as well doing her daily warm up exercises which most people find off-putting in young dancers since very few people know them socially. However nightly dancing in the pre-disco was a very important part of daily life in the early Vietnam era as the intensity increased and the realization about childless marriages that would be split up because of the draft, (which reminds me that one of the cornier scenes was the era's concept of the surrogate father to solve the infertility problem of the day's smart young liberal-conservatives or conservative-liberals and my goodness that was Mary Kay Place who is now competently Harry Dean Stanton's wife in Big Love! How we change
along with the Time between  The Big Chill   and   Big Love. Most of the people in the former film were college educated; a group who in real life wouldn't begin experimenting with the "professional" commune living situation until the Seventies had begun).

An average community of about 3000 of the Hip, the ex-hipsters,the Yippies, who came out of the middle classes of that day, had their own band produced from within their midst to start with, those that I knew were former art-school students who had played for their own amusement and became highly experienced performing every night for the bread while their vocation in art was put on hold. Suddenly a venue would pop up and the faithful would  congregate to dance to their own personal musicians under red lights.  It became an imperative how to locate the right ballpoint pen with an ink that would  show up when jotting poems into notebooks under these light conditions; then you'd say screw it have another beer and dance.

If Bill Hurt's character had any inkling, he would have taken the maximum drugs prior to his call up for the physical and get written off for psychological instability. It worked for a number of dealers who remained in their lucrative calling or side-line, even a very nice healthy specimen from Lithuania who was my neighbor down the alley and painted his  kitchen-stove candy apple red enameled very professionally and came up with an eggplant high-gloss urethane floor to go with it. He did have that striking appearance that I'm sure you've run into that ran in the Royal families of Europe sort of a cross between Nicholas of Russia and his English cousin, mesomorphically fair-haired with  the full moustache remaining after the trimmed down beard disappeared and before it came back into fashion.  Our newspapers were illustrated with Peter Max stylism that sometimes got in the way of the journalism and poetry.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1072 on: July 13, 2007, 11:21:36 AM »

Geez, barton, can you get your rental money back?  Like you, I was a little underwhelmed by The Prime Gig itself but liked some of the performances a lot.  I came across it via flipping the channel rather than making a conscious choice to procure it, set aside the time to watch, etc.  Plus, watching it was like "Hey, there's Wallace Shawn.  And Tara from Buffy!"  etc., so there was also the pleasant surprise factor at work. Thus, I may have made the movie sound more watchable than it was.   Can I send you $3 or something? 
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1073 on: July 13, 2007, 11:23:38 AM »

dzimas, Reply #1083

Although Le Dernier Metro was a very sophisticate replication of the period that parallels today's current film on Piaf for instance, it was  just the 1980 continuum of a fancy Americans had about themselves as well in home-grown films pitting Robert Redford against Barbara Streisand for--
The Way we Were.

I preferred the Nineties work of Depardieu (or later 80's, when it began):
Retour de Martin Guerre;Danton; Jean de Florette;Camille Claudel; Cyrano de Bergerac;Uranus; Tous les matins du Monde;Germinal; Le Colonel Chabert;The Secret Agent;Le Comte de Monte Cristo;Balzac;Vatel;Les Miserables;Napoleon;and I understand that  La Mome  is La Vie en Rose?n'est ce pas?

I still look forward to all the films produced over the last five years that we haven't seen.

But, no, David Bowie is by far the scariest persona to play opposite Deneuve. You have to experience the film to understand the dynamics; it is the most sophisticated film on vampirism ever made.

Although I do like her gentler side as Odette de Crecy, in Raul Ruis, Time Regained, opposite Marcello Mazzarello as Marcel Proust.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1074 on: July 13, 2007, 12:01:03 PM »

New Movie

http://movies2.nytimes.com/2007/07/13/movies/13talk.html?8dpc

I saw the in-theatre trailers and was mystified by what they had strung together. The revue gets down to the real story.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1075 on: July 13, 2007, 12:29:52 PM »

The Shame,

KUALA LUMPUR (AFP) - Malaysian Muslims have called for a ban on the blockbuster movie "Evan Almighty," saying it is offensive to their religion, state media reported Friday.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070713/ennew_afp/entertainmentfilmus

Well, we usually have Christian groups here saying the same things when a religious comedy comes out don't we?  I remember the banter when The Life of Brian came out...

The Old Testament is part of the Muslim religion too, is it not?
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1076 on: July 13, 2007, 12:36:44 PM »

"The Hunger" I tried to watch a few months ago but it was so dated in the worst of 1980's fashion and luridly lit that it was hard for me to do anything but go "huh."

As far as "typical slacker," Hurt was a coke-dealer in a Porche 911, of a type during the 1980's, you might say, unless that was Beringer's ride, in which case I still present the of a type argument with Elliott of "True Romance," he simply had to be driving a 911, no question about it, and when Q. Tarantino was writing the script, with the reference to Vietnam movies, T.J. Hooker, etc., was a script set about a decade before it was shot, I guess.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1077 on: July 13, 2007, 12:47:40 PM »

Harrie, no worries, the Prime Gig was a netflix rental, and my plan is such that one DVD sets me back about a dollar, so we're talking pocket change.  And, as I indicated, it was fun in some ways.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1078 on: July 13, 2007, 01:04:45 PM »

Reply #1086 (  to jbottle somewhat later  )

"I thought that The Bill Chill was pre-Slacker and that the new Bill Hurt was the epitome of every Vietnam vet drug connection from about 1969 on." 

Slackers were a West Coast phenomenon several decades later and after the fact of the setting of The Big Chill; but then their plague spread East and caused a lethargic haze to spread over Princeton, so that prep-school students took their SATs and then lay out on the golf-course at night to do extasy.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1079 on: July 13, 2007, 01:11:28 PM »

Porsche was not unknown in that set. I had a friend more interested in sound for the theatre and Eisenstein as film, who taught thermodynamics and aerodynamics. He began experimenting on something he wanted to see happen with the Porsche by constructing one in fiber glass and giving it his VW engine while working on his premise. Last heard from, taking up residence in Silicone Valley before the bust. No pun intended.

But I am more curious;are you averse to David Bowie's creations?
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 303
  Print  

Jump to: