Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 24, 2018, 09:07:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 303
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 40954 times)
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1095 on: July 16, 2007, 11:08:04 AM »

I think Steve Carell will make a much better Maxwell Smart than he did a Moses.

Agreed.  And I like the idea of Anne Hathaway as 99, too. 

However -- I saw a promo for Underdog, and it's just bad.  Typical Disney hack job to cash in on some poor critters. No artistic merit whatsoever to be found here.  (And yes, I did just use "artistic merit" and Underdog in the same frame of reference.)  Sorry, just my bitter Disney hatred speaking.
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1096 on: July 16, 2007, 11:19:10 AM »

For the life of me, I can't see the appeal in Harry Potter in either book or film form.  Such an obvious pastiche of fantasy films, reduced to a mind-numbing level.  I would think that 77 mil is a bit of a disappointment given its track record at the box office.  I wonder what Michael Moorcock thinks of dear Harry, as he was always so harsh on Lord of the Rings, which is high art compared to HP.
Without actually intending to, I spent a weekend recently fitfully watching the middle two HP movies, having already seen the first and fourth.  I actually rather liked Prisoner of... (Uzbekistan?  I should look it up.), but that was more for visual style than plot, acting, characters and the like.  (Wasn't aware it was directed by Cuaron until later).  What they are is a mishmash of archtypes centered around common deep childhood fears and fantasies.  Nothing new, but then there is nothing new under the sun, as Qoheleth was fond of noting.

What does it matter?  All is grace.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1097 on: July 16, 2007, 11:47:31 AM »

Two minutes of Harry Potter, or Harry Potter chat of any kind, is a powerful narcotic for me.  Ditto, LOTR.  It is with a certain perverse pride that I note that I have never seen any of the movies, nor read beyond the first chapter of the first HP book.  My daughter has gone so far as to suggest that, if I refuse to read this stuff, I should go online and pore over synopses so as to rescue myself from being a cultural dunce.  I suspect that some kind of cultural osmosis is at work anyway and I will soon know who Frodo and Gandolf are, not matter how blinkered my existence.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1098 on: July 16, 2007, 11:49:10 AM »

I think Steve Carell will make a much better Maxwell Smart than he did a Moses.

Looking forward to it...

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1099 on: July 16, 2007, 12:11:31 PM »

Name the movie, and the speaking character:

"Unguent......I need an unguent."

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1100 on: July 16, 2007, 12:36:27 PM »

Yeah, ya fuckin' mute.

oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1101 on: July 16, 2007, 12:37:47 PM »

What're you, nuts?  We had pancakes for breakfast.  I gotta go somewhere I can get a shot and a beer... and a steak, maybe.  Not more fuckin' pancakes, come on!!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 12:39:44 PM by oilcanboyd23 » Logged
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1102 on: July 16, 2007, 12:39:50 PM »

Two minutes of Harry Potter, or Harry Potter chat of any kind, is a powerful narcotic for me.  Ditto, LOTR.  It is with a certain perverse pride that I note that I have never seen any of the movies, nor read beyond the first chapter of the first HP book.  My daughter has gone so far as to suggest that, if I refuse to read this stuff, I should go online and pore over synopses so as to rescue myself from being a cultural dunce.  I suspect that some kind of cultural osmosis is at work anyway and I will soon know who Frodo and Gandolf are, not matter how blinkered my existence.

I think, being as I know how averse you are to the whole idea of sci fi fantasy, and prefer the types of movies grounded firmly in reality, that the Potter/LotR movies would not interest you.  But I will say, the LotR movies are much, much, better in every way, and I would feel that way even if I hadn't rerererereread the Toliken books.

whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1103 on: July 16, 2007, 12:43:57 PM »

What're you, nuts?  We had pancakes for breakfast.  I gotta go somewhere I can get a shot and a beer... and a steak, maybe.  Not more fuckin' pancakes, come on!!

O.K., we'll stop, get pancakes and then we'll get laid, alright?

One of my 30 or 40 favorite bits of dialogue from that movie, cracks me up every time:

Oh, fuck it, I don't have to talk either, man! See how you like it.  [Pause] Just total fuckin' silence. [Pause]  Two can play at that game, smart guy. We'll just see how you like it.  [Pause] Total silence.

oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1104 on: July 16, 2007, 12:54:02 PM »

Yeah, well, it depends on the artist.  You know... Jose Feliciano?  Ya got no complaints.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1105 on: July 16, 2007, 01:14:04 PM »

Hey--what movie are y'all talking about?
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1106 on: July 16, 2007, 01:19:23 PM »

Was he funny looking apart from that?

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1107 on: July 16, 2007, 01:41:40 PM »

For some reason, today's IMDB poll reminded me of you guys.....
http://www.imdb.com/poll/   
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1108 on: July 16, 2007, 01:45:03 PM »

Since "... the cutest of all, bar none, etc." is not one of the choices, I guess I will have to mark it "Other."
bosox18d

Bayn Solomon just straight up sucks bum

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1109 on: July 16, 2007, 03:45:34 PM »

Dzimas,"Hope and Glory" is the movie.Many Thanks.

"If it keeps going like this,the Zamboni driver is going to be the first star"
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 303
  Print  

Jump to: