Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 21, 2018, 05:33:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 299
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 33893 times)
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1170 on: July 20, 2007, 11:29:05 AM »

Oil is the one with the "hots" for Winona.

Darghis liked "Sunshine" a lot and seemed to enjoy the movies transition from calm to calamity, maybe a few other endorsements and some reasonable numbers could propel the film into 2K theaters or so.....the winner potentially could be Cilian Murphy, who is a summer mini-blockbuster away from joining the top ranks.  He seems capable of almost anything and has already worked on a blockbuster ("Batman Returns"), a reasonably fun short-shoot B-movieish Plane Thriller with Wes Craven, and a character film for presumbably no money playing a transvestite for often brilliant Neil Jordan.  He seems to have a pretty good handle on that "career" thing, and with Danny Boyle (resurrecting himself with "28 Days"), has done work with phenomenally talented directors in a short period of time.  Well done.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1171 on: July 20, 2007, 11:33:37 AM »

...and a character film for presumbably no money playing a transvestite for often brilliant Neil Jordan. 

I count Murphy's performance in "Breakfast On Pluto" among the finest I've ever seen, along with Theron in "Monster" and Macy in "Fargo".
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1172 on: July 20, 2007, 12:03:31 PM »

He's really good, and it's not necessarily the type of thing a no-risk management style might contemplate but he's clearly too smart or has people that understand that he would at worst aquit himself well enough and be protected by an actor's director, Jordan, but then he actually turns it into a positive for his career.  I would say "I admire his courage" but after all we are talking about "acting" (I always think of the Mr. Show awards send up where best actress says "It's been such a bold, brave year for us as ac-tors...), I guess what I admire is his resistance to taking the path of least resistance because it's more interesting than playing the you would think many routine bad-guy parts he must get offered for a lot of dough. 
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1173 on: July 20, 2007, 12:24:41 PM »

You don't think Murphy is secretly looking for his own personal  Die Hard franchise flick and hopes this may be the one?  Picture this..... Sunshine 2:  Walking on Sunshine; or Sunshine 3:  Sunshine on My Shoulder; or, or....
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1174 on: July 20, 2007, 12:38:16 PM »

Yeah, I checked the soundtrack but it's the same electronica guy that Boyle worked with on Trainspotting so I don't think that the contemporary songs are in there.  If it had to be set in the future, why not have a "communopod" that was left orbiting Venus for the next crew with a mix-disc in there, of course I would be aiming more for "The Core" than "2001," so any way that I could get "Black Hole Sun" in there would work, you could even find a dead crewman's IPod still operable, and have the stoner crew member swipe it and as he fires up and plays a song we montage through Peter Saarsgard making zero-gravity love to Natasha Henstridge, cut to Mandy Patankin brooding, etc.
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1175 on: July 20, 2007, 01:46:05 PM »

Who is Julia Ormond?

Wasn't she the ingenue from like 1994 who never was good in anything and never made a good movie?

You would think that if it's Sodergergh directing that it would be a Penelope Cruz vs. Salma Hayek for the lead, but maybe they are thinking outside the box by going with a onceknown/unknown and are shooting for a flat uncharismatic demeanor and low pay.
I recall her as the pretty trophy the boys competed for in Legends of the Fall, and as completely sucking in the remake of Sabrina - but then, I recall everyone sucking in the remake of Sabrina, my least favorite Billy Wilder movie - and enfusing a sense of ennui into Smila's Sense of Snow, at which point she dropped off of my radar screen.

Oh, she sucked in some retelling of the Camelot story too.

Ormond is listed on IMDb as playing American Actress/Journalist Lisa Howard, by the way, making Cruz and Hayek perhaps less than suitable.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 01:50:46 PM by whiskeypriest » Logged

What does it matter?  All is grace.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1176 on: July 20, 2007, 01:54:49 PM »

Oh, yeah, I liked "Smilla's Sense of Snow," maybe for, was it Gabriel Byrne?  She wasn't bad in that and then I never saw the one with Richard Gere as Lancelot (I think).  That sure was a dud though judging from what I remember of the critical and box-office indifference it generated.

But if you think Smilla had a sense of snow...

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000838/
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1177 on: July 20, 2007, 02:40:54 PM »

But if you think Smilla had a sense of snow...

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000838/

Nice!!

http://imdb.com/title/tt0114168/

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1178 on: July 20, 2007, 03:21:30 PM »

barton,re:#1188

I'm more than a little behind with Evita(the show) as it played Broadway and/or the movie with Madonna, I think? but are you telling me that Banderas was the singing Che?
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1179 on: July 20, 2007, 03:32:18 PM »

I really didn't know much about The Band at all, but I just liked the movie, the Southern guy on drums who did "The Night They Drove Ole Dixie Down" was really into the song and did a good job.  Neil Young shredding was a high point.  That Dylan felt a little uncomfortable with an electric guitar or content to let Robertson handle the hard parts was kind of surprising.  I think Marty added a lot by using multiple cameras and cutting between the players.  I guess it was 1978, and there's a sort of melancholy about the end of the band that hangs over the movie as well, and the sort of generation of white guys of the Vietnam/Hippie generation who had grown up admiring the blues, especially when you consider that Soft Rock, Disco and then Punk and New Wave and Metal were all coming or had arrived in some early stages that sort of represent a break from the tradition of rock coming directly from a blues tradition.  They are just a great live band, obviously, and I enjoyed hearing them play.  Van Morrison sounded great.  Dr. John in his pink tie who I'm not familiar with was pretty funny.  I think the highlights were Neil Young sort of holding back on shredding when Robertson was pretty aggressively wailing away almost competitively it seemed, as he was all warmed up, and then Neil just crushes on the guitar at the end, really cool.

I was going to college in San Francisco at the time the Last Waltz was filmed.  I didn;t make the show, but I remember the release of ther movie very well.  Those are great memories.  Times have really changed...
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1180 on: July 20, 2007, 03:52:43 PM »

I can't recall the exact dates anymore and I'm too lazy to look it up, but Dylan was not far removed from moving into his first "Christian" phase around this time.  I think Dylan just liked freaking people out -- sort of like Andy Kaufman in that way...

The Last Waltz though was not about Bob Dylan any more than it was about Neil Young or any of the other myriad of special "guests" that were there.  The relationship with Dylan would have been slightly more poignant--given that he was essentially responsible for giving the boys their big break when Dylan decided to shock the world by "going electric" back in the 60s.  They would clearly have shown deference to him (as you would an elder statesman in any profession)--but there could be no mistaking that while Dylan was a bigger "star" and arguably a more talented “artist,”  Robertson was the professional musician and Dylan’s superior as a guitarist.

But make no mistake, this movie was about The Band and the end of an era.  The feel of the "sixties" was still hanging on through much of the seventies, but it was clearly beginning to come to an end by 78.   Even Country Joe McDonald had cut his hair and was harping "bring back the 60s" by this time.

It was a beautiful and melancholy walk down memory lane for "one last dance with the boys."

Here's a photo of Robbie with Bob Dylan in 1965.
http://theband.hiof.no/band_pictures/dylan_robbie_levon_1965.html
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1181 on: July 20, 2007, 03:53:45 PM »

and on stage together .. same tour

http://theband.hiof.no/band_pictures/chicago65_bd_rr.html
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1182 on: July 20, 2007, 03:55:13 PM »

maybe The Last Waltz...should have been...

http://theband.hiof.no/band_pictures/bd_rr_74th_AA.html
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1183 on: July 20, 2007, 07:00:47 PM »

Taking a "Powder" got me looking at where are they now, Lance Henrikson, looks like he's been working with director Roel Rene, if that's not a pseudonym, and in one STV with the Seagal, please note the "sub" genre.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0914364/

http://imdb.com/title/tt1014801/
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1184 on: July 21, 2007, 06:33:15 AM »

I assume the Benicio del Toro version of Che will be a more politically charged one.  I loved Motorcycle Diaries, and I hear Walter Salles is slated to do On the Road.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 299
  Print  

Jump to: