Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 21, 2018, 09:44:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 304
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 53180 times)
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1200 on: July 22, 2007, 02:58:55 PM »

Maddie, I wasn't there but I have read quite a bit of the Beats and on the Beats.  You missed the boat considerably on the writing of On the Road, so it strikes me that your memory is a bit vague in regard to the events.  One of the most enjoyable books I read on that generation was Joyce Johnson's Minor Characters, as she showed just how vulnerable Kerouac was.  The success of On the Road in the 60s was more a curse than a blessing for Kerouac, who disowned the cult following that sprang up around him.  Of course, Jack was into the whole Buddhism thing at one point, which he expresses beautifully in Dharma Bums through Japhy Ryder, a.ka. Gary Snyder, but in the end he seemed to wallow in his self-inflicted misery. 

I was first drawn to him while living in Lowell, reading Town and the City, which was very much in the Thomas Wolfe vein.  Kerouac didn't find his voice until he loaded himself up with benzedrine and churned out the final version of On the Road over a three-week period on one continuous scroll, which sold for a cool $2.4 million at the last auction.  To me, he was hit and miss.  Dharma Bums remains my favorite, although I like the continuation of the story in Desolation Angels.  Tom Wolf summed up his encounter with Kerouac when the Merry Pranksters came to New York as one of disappointment, as Kerouac would have nothing to do with them, despite having Cassady along for the ride.  One of the many sad ironies is that an old warehouse in Lowell, which was one of Kerouac's favorites haunts, was razed and a memorial park honoring him put in its place.  Seems they should have left the late 19th century warehouse, but apparently it blocked the views from the refurbished Boott Mill, which had been turned into upscale condominiums.
peloux

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1201 on: July 22, 2007, 03:47:33 PM »

>>>>>You know, I just want to come home, watch some tube, have a nice meal with Juliette Binoche, faire la createur avec les deux dos, avoir la petit mort, the whole 8.63 metres.

This movie recently aired on one of the Encore channels. I'd already seen it but skimmed through to check out a few scenes. I detest pan-and-scan and here's a good reason why. The final school-front scene did not show all that it was necessary to see because the left side of the screen was cut off. Merde! I suppose there will always be people in the world who cannot stand black and white, subtitles, and must have the entire screen filled up with movie in order to enjoy. But, viewer beware, you might be missing something!

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1202 on: July 22, 2007, 06:49:05 PM »

dzimas re:#1222

Okay, so I know Gary Snyder, over many years since back then probably seeing him more in the Seventies than in the Sixties, I swap you that on Lowell. Because you are  correct about the warehouse irony; this does not mean I'm calling off the respect that I have for Snyder for having left and going to the monastery at Daitokoji to sit through the Vietnam War' and for any number of valuable things like being anti-nuclear and being able to communicate,etc.

Also all those things you say about Jack Kerouac are true as I've heard that out of other people. (and some worse)

Just the same, I brought something for you, to make up the difference of opinion. Here is the very real and actual Be-Bop Bentley. I relistened to the music today, and you know Horace Silver included an end note in his  Nica's Dream that he just swipes though from the theme of Tangerine. Some of the music of the time was not all that great. They were trying to compose something other than what they had been playing for the early part of their lives. But I figure this way, you get to enjoy your music and I have my memories too.

The Be-bop Bentley

http://tinyurl.com/35ef7e

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1203 on: July 22, 2007, 06:57:47 PM »

barton and peloux, Think! What is the film, with Binoche opposite Jeremy Irons cheating on his wife Miranda Redgrave, where  Leslie Caron had dinner with them because she is Juliette Binoche's mother?
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1204 on: July 22, 2007, 07:16:49 PM »

"I know but I'm not telling.....hee hee....."

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

"Damage"
BorisBartenov
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1205 on: July 23, 2007, 09:19:25 AM »

Peloux -- re

"The final school-front scene did not show all that it was necessary to see because the left side of the screen was cut off...."

Apparently that was the case for this DVD version, because whatever was "necessary to see" was definitely missing.  All I saw was a school front while having this mild expectation that I might see something of significance.   Mais non!  Tiens!  Qu'est-ce que on peut faire?

Maddy -- see Cache.  I want others to suffer as I have.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1206 on: July 23, 2007, 09:49:26 AM »

Was that the name of film? Or, were you indicating a place that I should look into?  I missed something. Obviously.
BorisBartenov
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1207 on: July 23, 2007, 10:05:39 AM »

The film is titled Cache (sorry I can't do an acute accent on the e).

http://imdb.com/title/tt0387898/

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
martinbeck3

VIVA EL CAMPO ARGENTINO

fun+and+lit
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1208 on: July 23, 2007, 10:18:43 AM »

MADUPONT,LADY OF THE PERPETUAL KNOWLEDGE (but not always)

Here you are:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104237/

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1209 on: July 23, 2007, 10:20:16 AM »

I don't even try to do accents.Left that behind on my manual typewriter. After seeing the botch that was illegible over at nytimes. I prefer to take for granted that people understand where those diacritical marks are placed, since they have a  general familiarity with one or two other languages.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1210 on: July 23, 2007, 10:24:43 AM »

MADUPONT,LADY OF THE PERPETUAL KNOWLEDGE (but not always)

Here you are:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104237/

Thanks,martin.  I might have known Louis Malle(makes great films) and David Hare(writes great screen-plays of his plays for the theatre).

I just left a question for you over in the voting both, hoping you would state your own choice; but, what I asked about, was it you who mentioned, Antonion Munoz Molina?  He wrote<"In Her Absence". It's in paperback.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1211 on: July 23, 2007, 10:26:24 AM »

Antonio (not Antonion or whatever slip of the dyslexic computer)
martinbeck3

VIVA EL CAMPO ARGENTINO

fun+and+lit
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1212 on: July 23, 2007, 10:35:29 AM »

Look what  a K/SF  Cool  keyboard I have :(only available for members with their fees up to date) if you pay now ,you get two for the same price:

ü/ é / ¿ / ^/

notice:even the little roof ^^^^^^^^^^^^

I can do it with one finger and standing on the tip of my left hand with my feet up.
martinbeck3

VIVA EL CAMPO ARGENTINO

fun+and+lit
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1213 on: July 23, 2007, 10:38:04 AM »

No Maddie it wasn´t me.I don´t think I´ve ever heard about him.To me his name sounds like a Spanish singer!
martinbeck3

VIVA EL CAMPO ARGENTINO

fun+and+lit
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1214 on: July 23, 2007, 10:39:27 AM »

Does the voting forum over at the Insane Asylum still work?
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 304
  Print  

Jump to: