Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 22, 2018, 02:21:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 303
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 40565 times)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1215 on: July 23, 2007, 11:01:32 AM »

martinbeck3

That's what I was asking. No, he writes comedy. I left a review down in your den of iniquity.

I'd like to take a poll though to force all computers on the Northern continent to supply upfront cedillas,acute, grave, or what have you; or we will not allow US presidents to make trade agreements detrimental to Latin countries and sign them into law because he thinks he's cute. First thing this morning,fire up the computer, and find his ugly face revealing as the cliche always told us, think ugly thoughts and your true dispostion will show up "in your face" and his is now irrevocably MEAN; like a miser, which he is, in so far as he wants the good life for himself at the sacrifice of everybody else's.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1216 on: July 23, 2007, 11:07:10 AM »

I have done "Damage" to my netflix queue -- I must see a film where Binoche plays a character with the last name of....

BARTON!

Still fuming that the DVD of Cache chopped off some sort of interplay between the two sons, in front of the school.  For those who have seen it (SPOILER??), I did garner that this was another one of those fixed camera long shots that was meant to indicate that this was the POV of the secret videotape maker, who was still "out there" filled with Algerian tension or whatever.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1217 on: July 23, 2007, 12:12:22 PM »

Barton, sometimes we just have to resort to phonetics, so cashe would be, cah-shay (that's not quite right but it's close.  I can't phonetically reproduce a as in ack).
martinbeck3

VIVA EL CAMPO ARGENTINO

fun+and+lit
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1218 on: July 23, 2007, 01:00:35 PM »

Barton with Binoche I´d skip the tube and the dinner.
martinbeck3

VIVA EL CAMPO ARGENTINO

fun+and+lit
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1219 on: July 23, 2007, 01:29:33 PM »

MADDIE,

I do have the cedillas, regardez 

ç  ñ   ü   ¡oh! ¿what?

these are the only ones we use in Spanish except for the
ç in some surnames

All the other tricks I possess
because I´m ultra  K/SF Cool

EVERYBODY:

Speaking about movies,Saturday I went for dinner and afterwards home theater at the house of a friend that has a real excellent one ,Sony, not the guy the HT.

O.K. next time we´ll eat after the film as having drank a bloody Mary and then red wine at the table I fell  into a commatose state cum snoring,so did Carlos so we got knudged on the liver several times during the film by our corresponding wives.

The FP says the film was *¡excelente!*.It´s called THE PAINTED VEIL from a novel by Somerset Maugham (I was awake at the moment).I saw THE RAZOR´S EDGE some years ago and that was *excelente*.Next time we organize this *program*(translation?) we´ll watch the film first and eat afterwards.
I´ll never buy a HT like Carlos´because then I´d never go out and films in a real theatre are a unique experience.

Noe I feel like reading 
martinbeck3

VIVA EL CAMPO ARGENTINO

fun+and+lit
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1220 on: July 23, 2007, 01:40:05 PM »

*noe* is *now* when i get dislexic windows program is off.

I saw"Caché" an the cinema and I think that the camera being fixed in the two *sons* -the Arabian and the French- as they were coming out of college means that the story is not completed because whoever was doing the videos will go on.
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1221 on: July 23, 2007, 01:42:39 PM »

reading
You continue to use language like that and I am going to have to start levying fines against you again.

What does it matter?  All is grace.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1222 on: July 23, 2007, 03:33:46 PM »

martinbeck3

The Painted Veil is indeed Somerset Maugham and which do you want first, the pro view or the con. I saw it in the biggy and I used to feel as you do about movie theatres but not anymore. For something like The Queen (Helen Mirren),yes; but now films are being made "sized" for the home screen.

You know, you've got Naomi Watts playing much younger than usual. And her husband, Dr. Fane, played by Edward Norton, whose name says it all. He "Fane" would get even with her for marrying him in the first place. The film does give you a quick insight in the English middle classes of their day marrying off their daughters quickly as possible -- to have one less expense in the house and before they inadvertently become damaged goods from total ignorance about sex which you will not find out about in an English household.

Fane is marrying out of infatuation and probably the unconscious awareness, that is,at least he is aware but the bride is not, that a physician going to a tropical climate ought to have a wife as a comfort, he just neglects to mention that to her as a possible motivation, when in a situation where he will be working full-time and overtime -- because where they are going will give you a pretty good picture of China during the Cholera epidemics in the early part of the last century(you will also get a pretty good take on local Nationalist troops  when warlords compete with each other for the most power and the best pickings. You will find exactly one Chinese "Good Guy" and his side-kick, in the entire Chinese cast because that token is the necessary in "good taste").

As her parents had hoped, Naomi will find out about men of sophistication beyond her awareness and all on her own time. However, she is also a right sort, as the British say, who gets along with the French nuns excellently and throws herself into the education of orphans which prepares her to have some motivation when she has little choice but to throw herself into nursing care for the inevitably dying as well.

What you probably don't know is that the charming little side feature of British life on the colonial front, that short,somewhat overweight fellow, unkempt,who doesn't mind a snort and a snort (and keeps an affable mistress who provides insight to Naomi Watts into  how life in the colonies when under duress can not allow being a stickler for maintaining division of social classes. One must have fun at the very least and forget the other rot.) is a man right out of Robert Service poems, who can be counted on to provide his sharp perceptions in the most gentlemanly way to the doctor's wife, is Toby Jones.

Why do I bring that up, he is the competing Truman Capote against the Capote of Philip Seymour Hoffman a consumate actor.  So, what's the difference, while Hoffman is being consumate about his acting in a way you can hardly miss but excuseably so considering whom he is portraying. Toby is so really consumate an actor, that you believe he is what would have been a sod of an Englishman had he not permitted himself to be shipped out to South China, while you are as believably convinced that he is that little imp who can not help being outre when accompanied by his childhood friend Harper Lee into a writing adventure that may become his undoing at the very same time it provides him fame and adulation.

The film is: Infamous. And Sandra Bullock is a surprise as a virginal Harper Lee.  Daniel Craig should not have allowed himself to be talked into this role, although he managed it very cleverly but not carefully, since he took the role as a result of having worked with Gwyneth Paltrow in, Sylvia.   Jeff Daniels should never have been asked to compete with Chris Cooper's role as Alvin Dewey.

Okay, two film reviews for the price of one. I promised to describe, all in detail to donotremove, the latter film's contributory factors to the demise of Truman Capote but filed my notes while mistakenly cleaning my desk.

It is coming back though. Ps. do not allow the Fiery Pen to start looking for those dresses worn by Hope Davis,Mariela Agnelli, and Babe Paley; tell her they are old and out of date which does not mean they are "retro", just expensive.  Do you know that dresses at Barney's and Bergdorf's, etc. are  now $500 for a baby-doll dress of the 1960s or a Diane von Furstenburg wrap dress?
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1223 on: July 23, 2007, 10:47:46 PM »

Re Tarantino...
He's a very quirky guy and I still think the best thing he ever did was that strange duo or, The Jackson two,that included John Trovolta, and didn't Harvey Keitel do a "Cleaner" in that pic?

madupont, this is days old -- two, to be exact -- and long forgotten, but it's been bugging me, and it finally came to me.   Harvey Keitel played a cleaner in Point of No Return, the American remake of La Femme Nikita starring Bridget Fonda.  It wasn't a Tarantino product; which is not a nit that I am picking. I just knew the term "cleaner" from somewhere, and it finally came to me.

For all I know, Keitel played a cleaner twice -- in which case, never mind.

Okay, back to whatever.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1224 on: July 23, 2007, 11:16:33 PM »

We all did "the cleaner" once in college, right?
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1225 on: July 23, 2007, 11:41:19 PM »

We all did "the cleaner" once in college, right?

Well, I wish I'd had one to take care of a few roommates.....
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1226 on: July 24, 2007, 01:08:55 AM »

harrie,re:#1245

Thanks, no really, thanks, it gives me something to go on, checking each one.  I liked the original version of La Femme Nikita, and liked it better on second viewing.  Have never become used to Bridget Fonda. Can not remember -- Point of No Return at all. But will check it out, since the scenes that I can still see in my head are rather unforgettable(including the fact that they have humor!) and there is only one person that I can think of who would direct something like that. So I have to check it
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1227 on: July 24, 2007, 10:06:45 AM »

I seem to have scrubbed PoNR from my memory banks.  Just a vague memory of Fonda, none whatso of Keitel as a cleaner in that.  Perhaps his cleaner in Pulp Fiction overshadowed it, memory-wise.  Isn't there a comedy where Keitel appears briefly, spoofs his role in PF?

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
martinbeck3

VIVA EL CAMPO ARGENTINO

fun+and+lit
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1228 on: July 24, 2007, 10:53:29 AM »

Best film so far this year:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0405094/plotsummary

anybody saw it?

kitinkaboodle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1229 on: July 24, 2007, 10:58:26 AM »

Will give that a look-see, Martin.

Meanwhile:

Here's one that may stay in your memory bank.  Check out After the Wedding, albeit a tad melodramatic, it should satisfy emotionally,  most certainly when contrasted with Cache.

Don't dance on a volcano...
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 303
  Print  

Jump to: