Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 23, 2018, 08:28:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 300
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 34334 times)
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1230 on: July 24, 2007, 12:19:35 PM »

This anecdote, at the imdb page of After the Wedding...

"At a showing at a film festival in Estonia, two of the reels had been switched by a mistake, making a part of the film out of place. Apparantly the majority of the audience didn't notice and was generally very enthusiastic about the movie despite the narrative being mixed up. "

I've heard nothing but praise for The Lives of Others, but have yet to see it.  Thanks, Martin.

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1231 on: July 24, 2007, 12:53:43 PM »

Best film so far this year:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0405094/plotsummary

anybody saw it?

I think it came out last year, but I saw it this year.  In any event, it was great.  It was bleak, which some people might not enjoy, but bleakness in a movie doesn't really bother me.

I hope we see more of the guy who played the Stasi officer - his performance was the best thing about the movie.  He's been in a lot of German movies, and hopefully he'll get some Hollywood $$ work.   Maybe in the next "Bourne"-type movie or Bond movie?   Or better yet, how about a remake (or modern-retelling or whatever) of "M", with him in the Peter Lorre role?

martinbeck3

VIVA EL CAMPO ARGENTINO

fun+and+lit
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1232 on: July 24, 2007, 01:01:22 PM »

OILCAN, I hope Sebastian Koch stays in Germany otherwise I´m sure we´ve seen the last of his great acting.The woman was also excellent.
martinbeck3

VIVA EL CAMPO ARGENTINO

fun+and+lit
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1233 on: July 24, 2007, 01:08:18 PM »

After the Wedding was not shown in my country.We´ve been getting very few foreign films except for USAmerican films lately specially since large buildings with 15 or more cinemas have been built.
chauncey.g

« Reply #1234 on: July 24, 2007, 02:14:40 PM »

OILCAN, I hope Sebastian Koch stays in Germany otherwise I´m sure we´ve seen the last of his great acting.The woman was also excellent.

perhaps you are making the same mistake i made. i believe oilcan is referring to this actor.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0618057/
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1235 on: July 24, 2007, 03:27:57 PM »

chauncy

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/granitz/5632/Events/5632/CaricevanH_Vespa_12227909_400.jpg.html?path=pgallery&path_key=Koch,%20Sebastian
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1236 on: July 24, 2007, 03:30:04 PM »

After the Wedding was not shown in my country.We´ve been getting very few foreign films except for USAmerican films lately specially since large buildings with 15 or more cinemas have been built.

We are having the same problem.  I've been to the new cinema exactly twice in the last seven months.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1237 on: July 24, 2007, 03:46:29 PM »

I have to agree, along with your post that followed, because this is exactly why France did not wish to accept US  dominance of distribution and why they preferred to buy up packages over here in the US and use their own financiers as impressarios to keep out  franchised(your second post) US only films especially while they were being slurred by our political administration, its dept.heads or representatives.

I don't want to see propoganda films any more than French audiences do and they see it that way because they don't want to be over run with US cultural intellectual equivalents of eatting under the Golden Arches. They feel it is a disrespect of their culture .

It is, but the way it is done, as you know, Big Capital crowds out your private aesthetics, along with everything else. andersweisenschaft(?) "Bad money(counterfeit) crowds out good money and knowledge" Taught to me by an old poet.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1238 on: July 24, 2007, 04:02:37 PM »

oilcanboyd23 re:#1253

"Or better yet, how about a remake (or modern-retelling or whatever) of "M", with him in the Peter Lorre role?"

If it is anything like the recent attempt to remake The Blue Dahlia(or the Gregory Dunne attempt starring Rober DiNiro as the priest-brother of Robert Duvall/detective),

with a new Black Dahlia, we've got problems or, problems inevitably arise.  I mean, I don't mind when they find somebody who looks like Veronica Lake to star in L.A. Confidential and she happens to be Mrs. Alex Baldwin at the time but why spoil the memory of Peter Lorre as a one of a kind actor?   

We've just seen it done with Soderbergh doing a technical experiment that gave us at least two different kinds of camera work, making it not comfortable to concentrate on the story which was half/half. I mean, he didn't even concentrate on the story.

Of course, if you can get George Cloony to play the pedaeophile-child-murderer, that would be a truly underground film; you never know, he might go for it.  On the other hand,he might say, "are you crazy? You want me to throw away my career because the average American movie-goer has one-tenth the intellect that I was born with!"
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1239 on: July 24, 2007, 04:44:54 PM »

I seem to have scrubbed PoNR from my memory banks.  Just a vague memory of Fonda, none whatso of Keitel as a cleaner in that.  Perhaps his cleaner in Pulp Fiction overshadowed it, memory-wise.  Isn't there a comedy where Keitel appears briefly, spoofs his role in PF?

Ditto re:#1252

I felt that way, looked it up, and it started coming back to me, Yes -- there's Gabriel Byrne in a tower downtown somewhere, like the one they used for Brad Pitt in Anne Rice's first Vampire story movie ever, and Bridget is going around with this very big  gun, in the bathroom wasn't it? And they explain to me in loving detail about Harvey Keitel under the car with the wheels spinning which shouldn't happen with that make of car --but,as you and I know, in Hollywood, they can do anything. To a car, or a remake, or whatever you've got. They earnestly believe that they will improve on it.  You would not be surprised to hear that everyone of the commenters ate this film up with ice-cream while watching in the livingroom within reach of the kitchen door.

Harvey is supposed to be cleaning up that car. I swear, I have not yet gone over to Pulp Fiction to check on how they describe it.  I remember Travolta chewing him out because this is supposed to be part of the act.  Although I would not exactly sit around eating a dish of ice-cream(although one never knows), I was curious about how they were doing Keitel's scenes and I watched, since in my time, I have seen much worse. My father, a surgeon, rather conditioned me to face reality in that department, no pun, by taking me to see where he was professor of Anatomy, down to Gross Laboratory, when I was merely taking Biology for the first time. I hate the smell of formaldehyde, and could not eat meat for months after the visit to Gross Lab. Oddly enough, in my earlier years while yet in grade school, his idea of after dinner entertainment might be to run films of proceedure for Caesarian section, because he was after all a surgeon and to build  his practice at the end of the Depression and in the Forties, he did a lot of C sections as required in obstetrics, while he was developing a family practice. 

But you have to understand that this was the guy like all the lunk-heads on House, or Scrubs, or the Shonda Rimes show formerly known as Gray's Anatomy, who brought home his own cadaver and boiled it down on his landlady's stove to obtain the required skeleton for the study of all the bones in the human body.  This did not deter my mother from marrying him; although, parents being what they were in those years, they kept the Skeleton in the attic, which we kids all knew was up there but by then we were all used to the idea.  You see he believed in "conditioning".

I cleaned up surgeries in my twenties, and I later married a man who had been a battlefield surgeon in Korea. What my  father meant by conditioning, well, he went through it, as residents and interns in a county hospital at the time of the Depression, they went out to the airfield if a plane crashed and counted the parts of bodies, just like you see in the movies today, just to determine if they had everybody on the passenger list, if there was a big accident, you went, it is in fact one of the first things taught in hospital if you are not just on the floors, I was transcribing in pathology lab., so they take you on the necessary tour to understand Triage as they were a burn center in case there was a ship explosion for a vessel on the Great Lakes, again the French Nuns had been sent to staff the nursing care as the ship's crew were rescued and brought up the shore to the hospital.  I was raised on this stuff although it is not my favorite cup of tea.

My family in fact spoke this dialect with each other, I couldn't stand it anymore, I went elsewhere.

I mean, we all have our preferences, in life as well as in movies. But, my father expected his girls to make themselves useful and he was a bit of an Edwardian that way having been raised by Edwardians. He married a girl whose father didn't want her to become a nurse because that was not moral.
Life with father was sometimes like a Sherlock Holmes movie in remake where Watson explains to Holmes that, when A.Conan Doyle studied medicine, girls were not allowed in medical school unless they were exceptionally good looking. (and Rathbone replies,"Yes, it was rather a gradual process." ,as he stops to relight his pipe.)
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1240 on: July 24, 2007, 04:54:22 PM »

I liked both Point of No Return and Le Femme Nikkita -- both in their day - have not seen either in recent years.

I only remember the cleaner ( and Harvey Keitel sounds right) being called in after killing inadvertenelty happened on a job.  He used acid on the victims.  He also killed the girl that Bridgette Fonda Character was on the job with when she went hysterical.  Bridgette was able to control her emotions (due to persistent training from Anne Bancroft) and therefore survived the incident...

I used to confuse the title of the American version with a Kevin Costner movie that we have surprisingly not discussed yet.  He played a young Naval Officer  -- it was also "Point Something"   I actually recall this being a pretty good movie also-- he had been having an affair with a girl who was mrdered and they had a partially developed poloroid of him and her and thought this was the murderer and was also involved in something else.  He had good reason to not be identified as being connected to the girl.  Also a nice unexpected twist at the end...   Don't want to ruin it if anyone wants to check it out...
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1241 on: July 24, 2007, 05:14:10 PM »

harrie,re:#1248

"Have never become used to Bridget Fonda." That is not to say that the film buffs of imdb didn't eat her up, gun and all, the beatific smile on her face and the tear that came to her eye and messed up her vision for her gun-sight, they loved every minute of it. I can just hear isabel, our former roomie, posting something in the forum like,"Bunch of abuse fetishists!" and then not saying a word more. I loved the Kafka sisters, one even visited Elba for a shortwhile and then realized --do I want to go through this again?

The fb(s plural) felt that thin as she was, Fonda, the gun sort of gave her heft and they liked that.

Maybe this is why girls should not go on first dates to movies with guys they don't know?

Now, here is why I preferred Annie as the original street punk of the Paris banlieus. Just a bunch of "heads" right, knocking over the pharmacy.(once you have known people like that,  ya got to love 'em) But, it was kind of hard to take, since it was not true to life chronologically and i kept picturing poor Gerard growing up like this....
Depardieu, you know who I mean.

I liked the grown up cast more as well,Shecky what's his name, as the "operative" . What it all comes down to, any one who has even a trivial bit of their French genes left has a different order of values. By the time he gives her the cadeau at the banquette table in which ever of the superior restaurants at which she is late arriving because she probably had to chance her Givenchy hosiery, you can see how the girl has blossomed even if she is dead. Officially. Tell me now, isn't this the film where she has Jean-Hugues Anglade as a mere room-mate, young actor at the time, bit of a Sartrean pip-squeak but neverless look what he became ! a dead dauphin of France because of who he chose for a mother.  Now if I was even slightly younger, I would want to learn that form for going with the force up the chimney and out. Couvre feu!
Tell me, how did it all end.
law120b

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1242 on: July 24, 2007, 05:24:24 PM »

bridget fonda.  simply one of the sexiest women ever to appear in a motion picture.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1243 on: July 24, 2007, 06:30:47 PM »

Well, we all have our "specs".
chauncey.g

« Reply #1244 on: July 24, 2007, 07:01:34 PM »

Hey, Ma!

Der oilcan stated, "I hope we see more of the guy who played the Stasi officer..."

Herr beck3 replied, "I hope Sebastian Koch stays in Germany..."

Ulrich Mühe portrayed the Stasi officer in Das Leben der Anderen and Sebastian Koch played an SS officer in Zwartboek. I kornfused the two when the topic came up some time back.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 300
  Print  

Jump to: