Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 19, 2018, 10:33:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 299
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 33610 times)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1275 on: July 25, 2007, 05:16:18 PM »

]
harrie,re:#1245

"For all I know, Keitel played a cleaner twice -- in which case..."

He did. A guy named Wolf who shows up at an 8:00am party/meeting, dressed in a tux, when Tarantino casually enters in a bathrobe and tells Keitel about the cleaning that has to be done. Harvey Keitel, responds, "A 'please' would be nice."
Look at this cast:
John Travolta (Vincent Vega), Bruce Willis (Butch), Samuel L. Jackson (Jules), Harvey Keitel (Wolf), Uma Thurman (Mia), Christopher Walken (Koons), Maria de Medeiros (Fabienne), Amanda Plummer (Honey Bunny), Rosanna Arquette (Jody), Ving Rhames (Marsellus Wallace), Tim Roth (Pumpkin), Eric Stoltz (Lance) and Quentin Tarantino (Jimmie).

Janet Maslin is still  being given the archived reviews,the others from her competitors can not be accessed.

About Larry Kasdans at the beach, you are absolutely right.  Reply #1280       It was Silverado .  I love early, quirky Jeff Goldblum roles; I even love recent Old Jeff Goldblum continued quirkiness.  A particular kind of brilliant neurotic who is a close second to my previously reviled Republican intellectual William whatsisname Buckley,jr.

Oh, that was my quote from --
harrie,re:#1248

"Have never become used to Bridget Fonda.         

I was quoting myself in posting to you. No intention of stepping on your toes in my lack of enthusiasm. I did think she outdid herself in one film, nameless to say the least in my memory, something to do with a guy who experiences the stigmata,could have been Bronson Pinchot. Bridget played her usual floozie.  She has got to assert something more than a gun to remain in the family business.
chauncey.g

« Reply #1276 on: July 25, 2007, 10:06:57 PM »

Rest in peace.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1277 on: July 26, 2007, 01:38:20 AM »

oilcanboyd

This review is from: Too Far Afield (Hardcover)
This is an interesting experiment. Instead of writing his usual novels filled with magic realism, Too Far Afield is based on a striking conceit. A former East German cultural functionary, Theo Wuttke, is born a century after the first great German novelist, Theodore Fontane. Throughout the history of the German Democratic Republic he will make his living giving lectures on Fontane to Communist audiences. Indeed Wuttke, known as "Fonty" to all his friends, will blur the events of his own life with that of the great novelist. With the same sort of wife and the same number of children Fontane and Fonty also evoke analogies between the reunification of Germany in 1871 with that of 1990. The difference, of course, is whereas in the former date Prussia and the Prussian monarchy and army succeeded in dominating the other German states, in the latter a truncated Prussia was accepted as a supplicant by a smugly superior West. At the same time Fonty is continually shadowed by Ludwig Hofftaller, a former Stasi agent, a former Gestapo agent, who for nearly fifty years has been protecting Fonty by giving the subtle hint and the insinuation of blackmail. Fonty, now in his seventies, is employed at the Handover Trust, in charge of the privitization of East German property. He will try to save the Paternoster, an old-fashioned elaborate elevator, and will be assigned to task of figuring out a better term for the rather depressing process than "winding down."
The novel contains a murder, a fatal accident, a wedding, a fire, an ostracization and a disappearance, but the tone is quiet and elegiac. Particularly subtle is the portrait of Fonty's daughter, Martha, once a fervent Communist, then a considerably less fervent one, then the Catholic wife of an older Catholic businessman, and finally a propagandist for efficiency and open-mindedness for the new post-Communist party. To fully appreciate this novel one would have to know much more of Fontane's work than most people on this continent do (the last line, and the title, refer to Fontane's most famous novel, Effi Briest). Perhaps an analogy would be to have Martin Amis write a novel about a double of Dickens. Yet if the tone of the novel is more subdued than that of Grass's previous works, there is still the gift of incident and observation that won Grass the Nobel Prize. Early in the novel Fonty and Hofftaller go to a Mcdonalds for the first time, and Fonty responds as Fontane would, by telling about the glorious ballads of the Macdonald clan of his beloved Scotland. Near the end of the novel Fonty is visiting the grave of Kleist and Grass writes "On the way to the grave, Madeleine [Fonty's illegitimate French granddaughter]had already picked a few flowers, or rather, flowering weeds. She added them to the faded wreaths. If you did not confine yourself to the lake, veiled in gray, you could catch a glimpse of the city's fashionable outskirts, a large expanse of villas set amidst lawns and trees, and hidden among them a particular villa, once the site of the Wannsee Conference, now a museum of terror, awaiting visits from schoolchildren." Shortly after a father explains about Kleist's murder-suicide: "Well, first the two of them had themselves a nice picnic here, and they didn't do the shooting till they were finished..." This is a subtle novel, which deserves close reading.

Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1278 on: July 26, 2007, 05:50:18 AM »

Paragraphs, please, Maddy.  My eyes, my eyes.
elportenito

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1279 on: July 26, 2007, 06:05:19 AM »

make room for Michael Moor's Sicko, about America's "health system".  (if you don't like it, go to Cuba...literally)
martinbeck3

VIVA EL CAMPO ARGENTINO

fun+and+lit
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1280 on: July 26, 2007, 09:54:47 AM »

I´m so sorry movies have lost the excellent actor Ulrich Mühe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg0HTMp56K4

I don´t understand a word but I understand the feeling.I wonder why we feel so sad whenever a great artist dies,like we´d have lost a friend.

Their deaths are a lost for humanity. 
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1281 on: July 26, 2007, 10:09:41 AM »

Finally rented "Scoop," in which Woody Allen seems to return to the basic style and goofiness of his early films.  Featherweight acting, forgettable but sort of funny gags -- an innocuous way to pass an hour and a half and, if you are male, survey Johansson's swedish solidity.  Or, if female, survey Jackman's long and lanky whatever and not have too much acting get in the way.  The little twist at the end, whereby the murderer is exposed, can be seen approaching a mile away.  It made me laugh, anyway.  Or snuck laughs out of me, more like.  

Sadly premature death for Muhe.

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1282 on: July 26, 2007, 10:24:17 AM »

I'm going to go 117 on "The Simpsons" and 6.5 on IKWKM.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1283 on: July 26, 2007, 11:19:47 AM »

Paragraphs, please, Maddy.  My eyes, my eyes.

Sorry,sorry, those were for possibly younger eyes, I wasn't even thinking of that because it is a direct copy of a review not of a movie but a book as compensation for future films lost.

As a result of watching Glenn Close last night in the latest experiment, I wasn't firing on all logical connected synapses at that hour. I lost my equilibrium in locating the 1990s Gunter Grass of what it is like when a
person spys on themself.  

After the Wall came down in Berlin, he could come out with this development because he was a native of Danzig(now known as Gdansk) who went to BERLIN to study art after the war.

He is the man who was against the uniting of Germany, which inevitably happened because people did not believe that kind of military power would ever consider using it again. If there is anything Grass knows, well, look at the United States and then ask yourself if the mental capacity of human beings could be considered normal and sane.

There is something to be said from the point of view of a country that for over sixty years had a continuous history of spying on the citizens(after all, as American's we are just getting into gear, since after WW2 ,in designating classes of people under suspicion and we had to wait until somebody invented a war on Iraq, mind you "not on terrorism", for a government that would exercise a totalitarian mind-set to pre-empt Constitutional Law.

This is not to say that the would be practitioners did not support the idea of trying it out first where "Martinbeck3 lives in Buenos Aires, Argentina, in the good part of the wrong side of town." as well as all surrounding countries on that continent, kind of like a lab experiment. Which has now been applied in principle to the US as just proceedural police work, and more generally exported for use in other countries where our allies can take the fall so that nobody in our current administration has to be tried for crimes against humanity.

Gunther who has viewed this all, understood that about a combined German
entity that has a strict burgherlicheit( read Hesse ) mentality with a preferred bureaucratic functionalism( read Kafka ), a Prussian militancy, which actually lost the war against communism (after all that time too) and had to accept the co-existence of what they liked to call "a police state" under the Soviet sphere of influence, with getting on by becoming a flourishing Economic power instead under which for a period of time they had to live with protective lock-down (read Heinrich Boll) because of young terrorists who were not economically enterprising during the 1960s where they lived in the quaint  slums of Old World Deutschland.

I always knew there was a reason mein bruder had to guard the Wall,right out of high school, other than enjoying wine excursions during his R & R.

Grass, at this time a few years older than I was, wrote a statement against Reunification of those combined talents for a bureaucratic police state and rearmament at the same time.  He then sat down and wrote a novel: Too Far Afield. Which would not make an excellent film. But I thought that I would recommend it to oilcanboyd anyway. May Ulrich Muhe rest in Peace.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1284 on: July 26, 2007, 12:40:01 PM »

I just read James Berardinelli's review of "Sunshine" where he commits the cardinal sin of spoiling and explicating the plot without warning.  Last time I read anything of yours, motherfucker.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1285 on: July 26, 2007, 01:09:58 PM »

I hear things get pretty hot in Sunshine.  The AC breaks down and the crew resort to fans and bowls of ice.  George Hamilton has a cameo. 

Sorry to hear that Berardinelli is a spoiler monger.  I never read him.

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1286 on: July 26, 2007, 05:12:15 PM »

...and, if you are male, survey Johansson's swedish solidity.  

Actually, Johansson (the name) is Danish; Johansson (the actress) is Danish and Polish. 
(And yes, I am gunning for my very own pedantry category. Why do you ask?)
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1287 on: July 26, 2007, 06:58:08 PM »

I like to read reviews and Berardinelli, by spoiling "Sunshine," has passed right by dirtbag, directly through scumbag, and is currently residing in my "douchebag" file.  I always thought he was a humorless tool who had little insight into movies but a pretty good rater by stars and undeterred by hype or stars (where Ebert occasionally errs).  But now he's, pardonez-moi, a "douch-a-basssshhhhh-a."

I am a firm believer in the star system, but I prefer the five-star system with halves included, basically a ten point scale that runs from ZERO STARS or TURKEY to *****.

There is a world of difference between many movies which get four stars on the four-point scale and other movies that get four stars on the four point scale.  But a 3.5/5 is better than a 2.5/4 in that the former qualifies as a "better than average movie," whereas, despite being .5 above the middle number of "2," it's generally assumed that a 2.5 is not really a recommendation of a film...otherwise you have to give it 3/4.  I would even say that most 3/5 movies are better than most 3/4 movies, this is my general impression. 

Some people look at something like "Looker" with Albert Finney and see Turkey or two stars.  Some see it as a 3.5 out of curiosity rather than virtuosity (say that reminds me of Denzel's "where's my internet virtual reality movie?!?" movie), and I give "Looker" 3.5 out of 5 because it was SEXY, and it reminds me of my Atari and when my family first got Cinemax. 

Good to see Ebert clacking away again, especially now that I x-ed Berardinelli out.
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1288 on: July 26, 2007, 07:49:28 PM »

Johansson (the actress) is Danish and Polish. 
If there is a better combination than that, I don't know what it could be.

What does it matter?  All is grace.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1289 on: July 27, 2007, 12:50:53 AM »

Two days left this weekend for you who are out there....

http://sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/program.htm

Lady Chatterley
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 299
  Print  

Jump to: