Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 23, 2018, 11:08:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 304
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 51688 times)
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1290 on: July 27, 2007, 10:11:53 AM »

...and is currently residing in my "douchebag" file. 

For all you know, "Blinded By The Light" may have been on the "Sunshine" soundtrack, leaving Bernandelli "wrapped up like a douche, another runner in the night," etc.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 10:14:03 AM by oilcanboyd23 » Logged
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1291 on: July 27, 2007, 10:23:52 AM »

Johansson (the actress) is Danish and Polish. 
If there is a better combination than that, I don't know what it could be.

Scarlett Johansson is cute/hot/sexy - on that note anyone would agree, right?  Sure, of course, who wouldn't agree, etc.  Then, you see this:

http://thesuperficial.com/2007/07/page.php?p=15

And you realize that, as to the attractiveness of any actor/model/etc., it's all about lighting, wardrobe, makeup, camera tricks etc., and without those, even the most apparently hot/sexy/etc. are really pretty fat and ugly or homely or normal-looking or whatever, and they have cellulite in their legs and so forth.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 10:25:41 AM by oilcanboyd23 » Logged
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1292 on: July 27, 2007, 10:52:19 AM »

Johansson (the actress) is Danish and Polish. 
If there is a better combination than that, I don't know what it could be.

There's probably something in there about a joke you can eat...but I'll leave that up to your own imagination
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1293 on: July 27, 2007, 10:58:15 AM »

...and is currently residing in my "douchebag" file. 

For all you know, "Blinded By The Light" may have been on the "Sunshine" soundtrack, leaving Bernandelli "wrapped up like a douche, another runner in the night," etc.

Of course that misappropriated line from the Manfred Mann song makes one of the all time misinterpreted lines (which we were discussing a month or so back)

The correct line was Wrapped up like a "dude," she was a runner
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1294 on: July 27, 2007, 11:03:55 AM »

I would caution any food humorists that, while Johansson would make a tasty Danish pastry, she would be less suited to serve as a Polish sausage.

Harrie, don't Danish surnames end with "ssen" rather than "sson"?  That has been the rule of thumb in heavily Scand-ized areas I've lived.  My grandfather Nilsson, for example, was of Norwegian and Swedish ancestry.  Finns, OTOH, often conclude with "nen," eg. Peltonen, Saarinen, et al.

I've listened to the track many times and he def says "douche."

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1295 on: July 27, 2007, 11:04:57 AM »

...makes one of the all time misinterpreted lines (which we were discussing a month or so back)...

Did "Purdy Little Luuh-uuhve Sow-owng" make the list?

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1296 on: July 27, 2007, 11:09:34 AM »

I wanna rock and roll all ni-ight....

and PART OF every day!

TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1297 on: July 27, 2007, 11:10:47 AM »

Ok...since I know when I make a joke around here it is usually not picked up on so  THE PRECEDING WAS A JOKE.  I am playing along with the Mondegreen.    Anyone ever see The Vacant Lot?

The original Bruce Springsteen lyric was  "Blinded by the light, cut loose like a deuce, another runner in the night."   (Duece Coupe-a very popular high end cruising car at the time)

Manfred Mann altered the lyric slightly, "Revved up like a duece"   and hence the douche controversy was born as people seeemd to want to hear  "wrapped up like a douche"

Bruce Springsteen, perhaps feeling slighted that MMB's version was more successful than his own (commercially) seemingly blamed this misunderstanding for the song's popularity.

I was on the air at the time, and although I was a huge Springsteen fan, I can assure all that this was not the reason for MMB success.  Great production value and an understanding of marketing were far greater assets.  This was not the only Springsteen song that MMB lifted and arguably made "better."

There is another story involving P Diddy and his misinterpretation of the song's lyrics that either made him look like a complete fool -- or a really good sport depending on your version of history...
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1298 on: July 27, 2007, 11:12:58 AM »

I wanna rock and roll all ni-ight....

and PART OF every day!

very nice Barton.  Present company excepted of course...or should I say "accepted"
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1299 on: July 27, 2007, 11:28:29 AM »

Harrie, don't Danish surnames end with "ssen" rather than "sson"?  That has been the rule of thumb in heavily Scand-ized areas I've lived.  My grandfather Nilsson, for example, was of Norwegian and Swedish ancestry.  Finns, OTOH, often conclude with "nen," eg. Peltonen, Saarinen, et al.

Hey, hey -- I'm new at this pedant thing!  Hold on a minute....I do recall early on, SJ was on one of the shows, probably Letterman, and mentioned that she was Danish.  So that was in the back of my head, and I confirmed it at IMDB. And we all know how reliable IMDB is!

I wonder if she changed the spelling to look Swedish, so that the world doesn't catch on to Denmark's low-key quest for world domination.  The first wave was led by Victor Borge and Ellen Corby.  The second wave included Brigitte Nielsen and Michael and Virginia Madsen.  The third and current (and possibly final?) wave = Viggo Mortensen, Franz Neilsen, the Olsen twins, and Scarlett Johansson.  I think if there were one more "-sen" on that list, people might catch on.  Clearly, Ms. Johannson is using covert tactics to conceal her part in this operation.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1300 on: July 27, 2007, 11:34:37 AM »

Every day Mondegreens

excepted / accepted   as demonstrated above.

Another one that I never picked up on until a year ago is that some people say,  

We need to "flush " that concept out

while others say " We need to "flesh" that concept out

They both work ultimately, but it never occurred to me that "Fleshing-out" was being used until I finally picked up on a freind saying it and we discussed it at length.

His feedback was,  You have a skeleton outline and you need to put meat on the bones...

It works...

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1301 on: July 27, 2007, 11:35:10 AM »

Harrie, I would love to be dominated by Danish-American actresses.

And I bow to your masterful pedantry!  You have learned much, grasshopper.

TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1302 on: July 27, 2007, 11:35:36 AM »

nice Harrie
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1303 on: July 27, 2007, 12:24:06 PM »

...and hence the douche controversy was born as people seeemd to want to hear  "wrapped up like a douche"...

PAROLE BOARD CHAIRMAN
They got a name for people like you, Hi.  That name is called: "Recitivism"-

PAROLE BOARD SECOND MAN
Repeat Oh-ffender.

PAROLE BOARD CHAIRMAN
Not a pretty name, is it, Hi?

HI
No sir, that's one bonehead name, but that ain't me no more.

PAROLE BOARD CHAIRMAN
You're not just tellin' us what we want to hear?

HI
No sir, no way.

PAROLE BOARD SECOND MAN
'Cause we just want to hear the truth.

HI
Well, then I guess I am tellin' you what you want to hear.

PAROLE BOARD CHAIRMAN
Boy, didn't we just tell you not to do that?

HI
Yessir.

PAROLE BOARD CHAIRMAN
Okay, then.

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1304 on: July 27, 2007, 01:04:22 PM »

Harrie, I would love to be dominated by Danish-American actresses.

And I bow to your masterful pedantry!  You have learned much, grasshopper.

Thank you.  Everything I know about pedantry, I learned from the Master Po of the Plains.   

And on another website, someone said they saw a trailer for a Christmas movie with Paul Giammatti playing Santa Claus (the movie would be Fred Claus), and that it looked pretty funny.  Good news for bux-law and his nephew, hopefully.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 304
  Print  

Jump to: