Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 25, 2018, 03:51:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 304
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 51745 times)
obertray

« Reply #1440 on: August 09, 2007, 03:20:48 PM »

Uber tray! yeah! that's it! That way I Godwin myself in every discussion!

Madupont, you made me a happier Tray (which is Phishese for leader, which could be english for Fuhrer)!

Actually, Mad Men is supposed to be set in 1960 intentionally to coincide with the introduction of the pill http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_pill

It was pointed out to me that the show appears on AMC not A&E.

Nothing Happened was set in the sixties also IIRC which I may not because (apart from his extensive use of paranthetical writings) i was quite underwhelmed with Mr. Heller's effort there.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1441 on: August 09, 2007, 05:12:40 PM »

I saw "Bourne" last night and liked it, but was a bit disappointed in that Paddy Considine wasn't given anything to do.  Anybody could have played his part - I'm thinking that if you are lucky enough to have Paddy Considine in your movie, then give him some lines/scenes worthy of him.  For an example look no further than his part in "Hot Fuzz" - a small part in a goofy comedy, sure, but still, he got to show how great he is in it. 

Anyways, the point I was getting to is that I saw the preview for "Beowulf".  Being a huge Ray Winstone fan, I had heard he had top billing in this movie, and while I'm neither here nor there on Zemeckis, I was still excited about the movie.  Well, you can imagine my surprise when I saw the preview and learned that this movie is a CARTOON.  Actually, it's not really a cartoon, but more like a real-looking semi-3D-ish cartoon, and not like the Linklater one, but more like that sci-fi one a few years ago. 

It gets even weirder - the Angelina Jolie character looks just like Angelina Jolie, the Anthony Hopkins character looks just like Anthony Hopkins, etc., but the Ray Winstone character looks nothing like Ray Winstone, and instead looks like Sean Bean on steroids.   I think now I have to consider moving Robert Zemeckis from my "Okay, Whatever" list to my "Please Go Away And Don't Make Any More Movies" list.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1442 on: August 09, 2007, 05:38:37 PM »

Does it look like "Heavy Metal," because that was rad at the time.  I'm not heavily into anime or anything, but when I hear that a cartoon is coming out, I'm like, I bet they didn't even see HEAVY METAL, and I bet those guys are wussies.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1443 on: August 10, 2007, 02:19:57 AM »

Enjoyed lesbian parable "The Descent" even as it was met with mostly disgust by others, not being an avid spelunker, I was ambivalent about it's aim.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1444 on: August 10, 2007, 11:03:15 AM »

Oilcan -- welcome back (you were gone for a bit, right?) and too bad about...

"saw "Bourne" last night and liked it, but was a bit disappointed in that Paddy Considine wasn't given anything to do."

I'm seeing it tonight, will report back.

Jbot -- The Descent didn't strike me as a "lesbian parable" but okay, you got something different from it.  I just saw it as quality horror, beautifully filmed.  Oh, wait, were you kidding about--?

Anyone else see Fast Food Nation -- my comments above were to elicit discussion, but if it's all fatuous agreement, okay, then I understand the reticence.  It's not easy being right.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1445 on: August 10, 2007, 11:15:42 AM »

I look forward to seeing Fast Food Nation, but have yet to.  These days, we're catching movies on the cheesy not-quite-premium channels of our cable package.  Renting/Netflixing would be a waste of time, as we just don't have the time to make appointment viewing.  Sorry, barton.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1446 on: August 10, 2007, 01:51:51 PM »

"The Descent" SPOILERS

No the "lesbian parable" was just crude frat-boy humor, I thought that it was a good movie with some nice shots that echod "Apocalypse Now" (Sheen emerging from water in grease-paint) and "Carrie" (our hero covered in blood at the end).  What I liked especially were the two open-ended questions of why the one character was killed (avenging the murder of another or pure survival or anger at the betrayal in lying about the cave they were exploring and putting everyone at risk...) and what actually happened at the end.  I was looking for alternate endings but the DVD provided none, but I was satisfied with ending as it was. 

I was wondering how much was shot on a set and how much at some location, but yeah, the lighting was terrific and overall I was impressed that it got the thrills it did out of the budget it must have had with no stars.  "Lion's Gate" is a mean machine, indeed, proving that you can make good coin by being smart about even exploitative film, and have dough for possibly more noble pursuits in film as well, like the occasional drama that might get noticed, but I'm impressed with how they run their slate of films each year.

Unfortunately I was watching "The Descent" on a 27-inch set and had trouble distinguishing the characters and when they got separated and who bought it when and that sort of thing which I'm sure would have been more clear and cooler-looking too, on a bigger set.  I may watch it again on the 32-in. flatscreen that I sit about six feet from. 

My only complaint was that I thought the prologue was a little drawn out but I guess part of the point was to distinguish the characters that would be more indistinguishable in dim red and yellow light, but anyway... 
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1447 on: August 10, 2007, 02:32:01 PM »

"The Descent" SPOILERS

...I thought that it was a good movie with some nice shots ... 

Word, and as with any monster movie, it's always nice to have some interesting story behind what created the monster.   With "28 Days Later", which I generally liked, the story behind the creation of the monster fell flat, what with the problem with the whole "rage virus" explanation.

In "The Descent", the story is that, like 500 or 1000 years ago or whatever, some humans somehow got stuck down in the caves, and as they reproduced they adapted over time, etc., thus evolving (or devolving or whatever) into the pale, blind humanoid creatures they are today.  I'm no anthropologist or genetic physicist or whatever, so maybe that idea is absurd, but I think it's still interesting to think about. 
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1448 on: August 10, 2007, 04:36:54 PM »

The good thing was that becase they were humanoid, they could be aced with spelunking equipment.  One the chicks found out their weak point, they kind of said, okay, we can jam some of these dudes.  I thought that made it more of a fair fight that you could take a pickaxe type of thing and begin to lay the killshots on the albino humanoid creatures.  I don't know if it was empowering in a feminist way, but I enjoyed watching hot chicks waste humanoids, if that makes me a feminist, then maybe I will have to check myself on crude frat-boy humor, but anyway, that's where the bottle stands after "The Descent."  Looking forward to "The Descent II" whick I understand will be called "Once Were Spelunkers."  As a base-jumper, I had to enjoy the way those crazy babe thrill junkies got down, there I said it, I'm all about girl power, and by that I mean, women.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1449 on: August 10, 2007, 07:08:32 PM »

This is a dude:

http://www.imdb.com/photo_galleries/2007/stars_07/15
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1450 on: August 10, 2007, 08:47:58 PM »

Well look at it this way. She looks nothing like James Taylor so she must be Rhona what's her face,Mitra? or something. She probably works for him and was awarded the best....

We have guys like that in literature though, strictly fictional; they even sound cross-gender when you are reading them.  When it comes to poetry, you have to watch out communicating back because they think you are being critical when you are just trying to be friends interested in the same topics. Apparently, this is distinctly what they don't want; you lose more possible friends this way but maybe that is just as well?
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1451 on: August 11, 2007, 04:40:09 AM »

It was great fun watching The Ballad of Cable Hogue after a long time.  I had forgotten how funny it was.  David Warner was great as the wandering priest, Joshua, and Robards and Stella Stevens played wonderfully off each other. Kind of a messy ending, but no matter, you figure the dream can't last forever.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1452 on: August 11, 2007, 11:06:18 AM »

Jbot -- I think Ms. Mitra was James Spader's romantic interest in the final year of The Practice, the show that reincarnated as Boston Legal.  If she is a man, then call me "Maurice" 'cause I'm crossing the aisle tout-de-suite.

The whole humans-devolving-in-caves theme in The Descent was pretty interesting and maybe only absurd in terms of the timespan allowed for this to happen.  But that's a minor point, and you can't help but wonder if something like that could happen.

It was definitely a big screen film (I saw in a theater) and I remember thinking at the time, "this will be hard to follow on a tv."

As for hot dirty chicks struggling, crawling, writhing, wriggling themselves through narrow spaces while wasting mutants, have to agree it's never a dull moment for all who "spelunk" in the moist Freudian realms of the psyche.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1453 on: August 11, 2007, 08:04:31 PM »

harrie,
Bloodythirsty New Book Incites a Bidding War

http://tinyurl.com/2prv7a
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1454 on: August 11, 2007, 08:47:35 PM »

madupont,
Thanks for the link - I enjoy (perversely, some say) the whole behind the scenes deal-making aspect of movie-making.  Not usually one for the vampire stuff, but throw in a government conspiracy-type link, and I can be there. 

Ridley Scott will do just fine with it, I'm sure -- at least Ron Howard/Imagine didn't get it, even though things change, get traded and stuff -- but I would have liked to have seen Sam Raimi get a crack at it. I've liked his stuff all the way back to the Evil Deads, Darkman and even Xena, Warrior Princess -- so I think he might do it justice.  Plus, Sam Raimi (and his brothers and Bruce Campbell, for that matter) and I were all born at the same hospital -- which means absolutely nothing in the real world, of course. 

Thanks again for the link, madupont, I enjoyed the read.
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 304
  Print  

Jump to: