Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 16, 2018, 04:33:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 304
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 52557 times)
elportenito

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1470 on: August 13, 2007, 08:41:47 AM »

Dzimas:

"And I thought Pelle the Conqueror was pretty good too."

Great film. A film any immigrant can relate to.
peloux

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1471 on: August 13, 2007, 04:06:49 PM »

The Piano Teacher was okay but I thought Huppert's character a little over the top. She engages in a number of pathological behaviours that seem unlikely to occur in the same person. She seemed a composite of several characters, rather. Maybe that shouldn't matter but it bothered me. I'm no prude but some of the more graphic scenes cheapened the movie. Haneke (sp?) wants to be daring and perhaps even to shock (if that's possible any more) but he does so at the overall expense of the movie. I would have liked to have seen a little less of that and maybe a bit more between the mother and daughter. What we see is enough to know that something's going on there but maybe something could have been developed, more about the father, for instance.

Woody Allen might have been a little disingenuous when he wrote about what he says in response to the question, how did Bergman influence you. Allen says not much because Bergman was a genius and he (Allen) is not and genius cannot influence non-genius because genius is not transferrable, or something like that. That's a copout. Furthermore, though I don't know enough to be able to say whether or not Woody Allen is a genius or not, I fully expect that he is.

I don't watch commercial TV much, but doesn't Holly Hunter have a new series.

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1472 on: August 13, 2007, 04:35:43 PM »

Peloux

"but doesn't Holly Hunter have a new series."  Yes.

That's why I asked what ever happened to Holly Hunter? It doesn't appear that she takes the same care about what she is selected to do, if you know what I mean?

Do we need another Linda Hamilton/The Terminator/ I have muscle definition   Heroine Holly Hunter?
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1473 on: August 13, 2007, 04:45:05 PM »

On TNT Holly Hunter is on a buddy cop series except the buddy is "God."  It's like that Michael Landon one meets T.J. Hooker, but with more edge and street cred.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1474 on: August 13, 2007, 05:04:56 PM »

...meets T.J. Hooker...

Bring on the Zmed.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1475 on: August 13, 2007, 07:48:57 PM »

On TNT Holly Hunter is on a buddy cop series except the buddy is "God."  It's like that Michael Landon one meets T.J. Hooker, but with more edge and street cred.

Nuh-uh! ....Seriously? 
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1476 on: August 13, 2007, 07:49:42 PM »

No, I just saw the trailer while watching Woody Austin mount a reasonable campaign against Tiger, and it's like...

Holly Hunter [witnessing something horrible like a car wreck]:  "Oh, God..."

God [looking like a middle-aged hippie medium on acid]:  "Somfin' I can do for you...?"

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1477 on: August 13, 2007, 07:54:24 PM »

We cross-posted, but you can't really tell, yeah, I think it's kinda like that.  If they "Crossing Jordan" or "Judging Amy" again I really want to "kill [my] telivision," like that one song, or throw the '27 inch out of my car going 4-8 mph if the sigboth will help.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1478 on: August 13, 2007, 07:58:07 PM »

Actually, I just looked it up on IMDB and you're not that far off.  HH is a cop with a chance to redeem herself -- from what I am not sure -- and she gets help.  The plot outline is "An angel offers a jaded Oklahoma City police detective the chance to redeem her life."

I mean, if you don't want to work any more, just go garden or drink all day or knit or something.  The whole slow career suicide is so passe. 
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1479 on: August 13, 2007, 08:00:50 PM »

Yep, we crossed.  And it still looks like a stinker; at least, it won't play at my house even if we did watch Wonderfalls and Joan of Arcadia.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1480 on: August 13, 2007, 08:47:50 PM »

Harrie!

Didn't we just talk about this last month? Isn't this the American television version of Nikita with Annie Parillaud having longer hair this time and a second chance that will be pleasing to any of the religious right allowed to watch television?  Remember, Tcheky Karyo as "Bob"?
Jeanne Moreau, I love this, as "Amande"? and Jean-Hugues Anglade as
"Marco". I bet the budget will only spring for  Marco.

I did like jbottle's first post on this, he nailed it. It was what I so badly conveyed was my impression just from seeing a publicity shot on the front of my tv section yesterday.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1481 on: August 13, 2007, 09:03:40 PM »

When Holly Hunter crinkles her nose you almost want to not call, bullshit, but I don't watch TV drama and only sports and news.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1482 on: August 13, 2007, 09:48:38 PM »

Harrie!

Didn't we just talk about this last month? Isn't this the American television version of Nikita with Annie Parillaud having longer hair this time and a second chance that will be pleasing to any of the religious right allowed to watch television?  Remember, Tcheky Karyo as "Bob"?
Jeanne Moreau, I love this, as "Amande"? and Jean-Hugues Anglade as
"Marco". I bet the budget will only spring for  Marco.

I did like jbottle's first post on this, he nailed it. It was what I so badly conveyed was my impression just from seeing a publicity shot on the front of my tv section yesterday.

madupont!

I remember the Nikita/Point of No Return talk.  I don't remember any divine intervention (or was that Harvey Keitel?).  Strangely enough, there was a TV version (on USA, IIRC) of La Femme Nikita starring Peta Wilson years back.  I recall this because one of the family members of my cable provider used the corporate jet (and my cable fees!) to jet Ms. Wilson around the world in an attempt to impress her.  It didn't work.  We also helped finance the Buffalo Sabres for a time, which I didn't half mind; so I like to think my money went to big sweaty guys on skates rather than jetting the starlet around.

The jbottle is awesome for nailing things, you are right about that.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1483 on: August 13, 2007, 10:07:22 PM »

It's why I prefer to talk about movies rather than see them ten times like "Derailed."  I think it had Jenifer Aniston, it was a romantic comedy about the danger of having a European boyfriend, if I recall.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1484 on: August 13, 2007, 10:13:17 PM »

Hmmmm.   I thought Derailed had two cowboy sheepherder guys.  Must be getting confused.
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 304
  Print  

Jump to: