Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 19, 2018, 08:09:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 299
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 33546 times)
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1500 on: August 14, 2007, 12:27:54 PM »

I don't know where Maddy is, but before this cutting cat's vocal cords gets entirely out of hand, Maddy had her cat spayed after she moved from the farm setting. No cutting vocal cords, no claw removal, no cat abuse whatsoever.  Trust me.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1501 on: August 14, 2007, 12:46:07 PM »

Thank you, DNR; I was hoping something like that was the case.  My bad -- taking the no more singing opera reference a tad too literally, I guess.
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1502 on: August 14, 2007, 01:25:57 PM »

Harrie, well, I've heard of a chanticleer singing La Boheme . . .

"At farmer Brown's not far from here, my daddy bought a chanticleer . . . "

So, it's not as if others besides humans haven't sung arias.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 01:27:53 PM by Donotremove » Logged
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1503 on: August 14, 2007, 01:42:53 PM »

....so, if you make a rooster a capon, does he stop singing those arias?  I guess he has nothing left to crow about, so maybe.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1504 on: August 14, 2007, 02:09:56 PM »

So madupont, are you saying you had your cat's vocal cords cut?  I try to practice the walk a mile in my shoes thing and all that, but I'm a little horrified.  Geez, I wonder if I kept any of my old picket signs?

No, because after 11 plus years, she speaks very well, having a limited vocabulary but yet a vocabulary, cats often have better intelligence than children and if conversed with ordinarily have an extensive recognition of specific words which they connect with meaning and will try to converse in the manner of the humans that they know and eavesdrop upon or listen to,etc.

The periodic singing of felines originates in their reproductive capacity. It might be nice to have had the option of another generation that looked like her but that is a genetic crap-game learned from experience; but it did take me about a quarter of a year to find her, following the death of her predecessor, Tiger, whom I met at the door when tourists left after the summer season at the Jersey Shore while I lived just down the road from Bay Head past the small bridge over the Mantoloking river.

Tiger was and Kiki is a Grampion introduced from Scotland to the Chesapeake Bay area whereupon their descendents are commonly known as Chessies after the famous logo of the Chesapeake and Ohio railroad.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1505 on: August 14, 2007, 02:20:57 PM »

martinbeck3,

Did you see that cat scooting by the use of its claws around the circular rug in front of the tv.   Tiger amused herself with that for quite awhile by  hiding under the bed and waking up there. You realize she was there when she would dust for dust-bunnies on her back and no doubt by reaching her claws into the wires of the frame that holds the box-spring in place under the mattress.   However, you provided a real think twice video from You-Tube.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1506 on: August 14, 2007, 02:52:42 PM »

The periodic singing of felines originates in their reproductive capacity.

Aha!  And thank you for the clarification.   I guess we had our guys and gals snipped before the urge to sing came upon them.  Both of ours are awfully chatty, so I've never noticed a noise reduction, much as I would like to some days. We've had very good luck not looking for a particular kind of cat, just letting them find us.  (Which they do.)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1507 on: August 14, 2007, 03:47:12 PM »

My excuse, Harrie, was that I was so mournful about the death of Tiger that I wanted a replacement and, when I found the kitten, it was smaller than the length between the interior of my forearm between the wrist and the elbow.  They are an extremely affable breed of cat who can nevertheless defend themselves so I have complete understanding why you named your's the Killer cat .

Kiki had to be trained not to attack the back of your legs as you walked away from her. Bad for the hosiery.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1508 on: August 14, 2007, 06:50:16 PM »

madupont, no need for an excuse in your choice of cat.  If it works for you, it works. That's all that matters.  That particular cat of mine is a basic DSH; we didn't name her Killer, I posted that picture when the hospice kitty who could predict deaths was making the news.  So guess it's time to get a new avatar....she's not really a killer, but she's still evil. 
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1509 on: August 14, 2007, 06:56:00 PM »

Dear Forum:

I had a bout of deja vu and nostalgia, something the French call "fait accompli," or something like that, about the DEATH OF THE NEW YORK TIMES FILM FORUM.  It's a "done deal" as they say in the car business (I think, for I live on a reasonable semi-regional martinizing trust fund stipend, distributed artfully so that I can only live one case of beer at a time, due to the status of my driver's license, and creditors at Netflix and elswhere with their "automatic draft"), but I digress from the existential lonliness that makes me fond for the sunshine days of the NYT, when marnie sniped and 4-8 others quipped, there were turds in the punchbowl, proudly bobbing, trolls, self-proclaimed Hollywood insiders, scumbag lurkers, and one whose filmic dialogue consisted sadly of only "Animal House," "Caddyshack," and "Meatballs."  There were moments of true moral peril like the GREAT IGGYBOX CRASH OF 2000, that brought even the most stalwart anti-milleneophobe a shiver up the spine...there were fights, there were heroes, there were poorly-chosen words and moments of transcendent delight, there was the petiness of sibling rivals and the conviviality of mutual admirers.  In toto, I submit that it is a diary of defeat and peseverance, a catalougue of courageous formum believers and the occasional viral and pestilent peek from below the o'erpass of human camraderie.  May you live in interesting times?  Well, I feel like we did it.  Did we carpe every diem?  Maybe not.  Regrets?  A few.  Passion...unswerving.  For, when we cease to imagine what may or may not have happened we cease to have a collecteve memory to draw from, however feebly or with inconsistent recall.  Trying to remember trying is what I remember most, and I raise a glass to all those who witnessed the carnage as well as the spoil, the apex, and ultimate dissolution.  For you I pledge to remain...

Truly yours

Jbottle
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1510 on: August 14, 2007, 07:01:13 PM »

harrie,

I didn't find it odd at the time when the predictive kitty was making her "rounds", now that they put pets to keep the old folks  happy but--on the ward? I found that a little odd, unless everyone is so slow and relaxed because these people are dying anyway?

No major accidents?  Anyway it was not real hard to predict deaths on the ward even if you happen to be human instead of an overly familiar cat. You just keep track of the full moon and the new moon and that's the calendar of events.

But it was probably very comforting to have the cat there.

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1511 on: August 14, 2007, 07:13:48 PM »

I have taken a respectful moment of silence and raise my g&t in a salute to the memory of the NYTFF.  Long may she .....uh, rest in peace.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1512 on: August 14, 2007, 07:25:24 PM »

jbottle, before the forums closed, I found it impossible to write an opinion on a movie over there, not even an old movie playing on tv, because once the book moderate average knew what could happen when the forums shoveled off this moral coil, he found a way to get even before they could possibly let him go.  I caught on when he said something about me being on probation.  They had placed him on probation for making a check out to a Republican contribution which employees of the nytimes.com are not allowed to anybody's party as a political contribution.

He just pulled the switch on me the Monday morning after 4th. of July weekend and I was quite chagrined that forums were not available until--
a new policy was assummed with  knowledge that eventually the campaign season would rear it's ugly head. They hired a new editing mod squad of the somewhat young to begin at age forty whatever discussing issues in blogs and then they could practice explaining political polls to the posters. A few months of polls kept on running per day  not even quite that often on the front page otherwise known as Home, to see how people behaved and when the new young editors were up and running, they could fire the old. What a crushing surprise to those who were over fifty.

I'm way past it.  But I discovered a new bit of movie news today, something called: Woody Allen Spanish Project 2008.  (which means I eagerly await the return of Javier Bardem. In case Obama doesn't know who to jockey into position for vice-president, Javier is the man. He covers all classes, all sexes, all possibilities of handicap and disfigurement than John Edwards imagined, and dig this, he can speak Spanish! I loved it when he said, "I speak Quechua, my mother was Indian." But that was when John Malkovich was directing The Dancer Upstairs. I don't suppose he would give up Spanish citizenship to be vice-president of the US. Bush waited a little too long to cordinate all of the Americas in the New Order didn't he.)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1513 on: August 14, 2007, 07:28:24 PM »

harrie, you know the drill?

"What was your name in the old forum at the nytimes.com?"
obertray

« Reply #1514 on: August 14, 2007, 07:31:53 PM »

Sorry, I still don't get it. If the cat was a determined virgin (A yarn spinster?), then why didn't you mind if she sang the opera? Did the tomcats all find her singing offputting?

Or was there a misread (or miswrite) in the original post and she was determined NOT to be a virgin Kitty CarlISLE?
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 299
  Print  

Jump to: