Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 18, 2018, 01:37:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 304
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 51380 times)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1605 on: August 20, 2007, 12:48:43 PM »

barton,re:1624

I think that "Fur" is included at On Demand, if the date for it hasn't expired. Have to check.  The cinematography, as you mentioned, was what I noticed about the tv previewing.
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1606 on: August 20, 2007, 12:54:22 PM »

Another possible worst movie I have ever seen:

What does it matter?  All is grace.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1607 on: August 20, 2007, 12:58:26 PM »

She had little breasts, like pears – Charles Chaplin. Information found in a documentary about Louise Brooks

I'll be saving this one for future trivia purposes.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1608 on: August 20, 2007, 01:14:56 PM »

One of my favorite bad movies....
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1609 on: August 20, 2007, 01:51:50 PM »

Gawd, I never would have imagined Ray Milland could have stooped so low, not to mention Rosey Grier, but then Milland was in the god-awful Frogs:

which sad to say was shot and an old plantation called Eden close to where I lived in the panhandle of Florida.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1610 on: August 21, 2007, 07:22:19 AM »

harrie

What's this about  Cate Blanchett playing Bob Dylan (just one out of four who are but she is the only woman  with the bone structure) during his “Blonde on Blonde” phase for I'm Not There, a Harvey Weinstein production?
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1611 on: August 21, 2007, 07:23:32 AM »

As a matter of fact, she's the only one of the four actors who looks like him.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1612 on: August 21, 2007, 09:22:27 AM »

"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that."

- Steve Earle

-------------

"I've met Bob Dylan and his bodyguards, and I don't think Steve Earle could get anywhere near his coffee table."

- Townes Van Zandt
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1613 on: August 21, 2007, 09:28:57 AM »

madupont,
Check this out -- apparently Cate Blanchett and a cast of thousands are playing Bob Dylan!   Here's a pic of her as him:

Good news for barton -- Christian Bale is one of the Dylans, as is Richard Gere.  There appear to be six Dylans, though -- at least per IMDB; Heath Ledger is another one.   

Looks like an interesting cast in addition to all the Dylans, like Julianne Moore and Michelle Williams.   I always kind of dismissed MW because she was in Dawson's Creek, but I love her in the flicks I've seen (Dick, The Station Agent) and I'll probably also love her some flicks I plan to see (Brokeback Mountain, I'm Not There).  And Julianne Moore is always interesting to watch.  IMHO of course.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1614 on: August 21, 2007, 09:30:58 AM »

I love those quotes, oilcan.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1615 on: August 21, 2007, 09:53:22 AM »

Whisky -- The Thing With Two Heads was dreadful.  Wow, I'd managed to repress that memory pretty thoroughly until now.  The Santa Claus/Mars film sounds too guileless and silly to be at quite that level of awfulness, but I haven't seen it.  No one has mentioned Ishtar, which I vaguely remember as sucking bowling balls through a broomstraw.

I think one criterion for true awfulness is something into which a lot of money, acting talent, and expectation has been poured, and then it turns really sour.  Those are the ones that really burn.  "Almost Famous" seems to qualify.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1616 on: August 21, 2007, 10:33:51 AM »

harrie,

Okay, Now tell me how you post those pictures/photos within text of the post?  I was moaning last night about not being able to post early Ferlinghetti as he was when the Flower Children hit the Haight and destroyed the old neighbourhood because life goes on...

She looks sufficient, Cate that is, like the true poet laureate, the rhapsodist, of the US but she hasn't got his hollow-chested emaciated quality just yet.  He was a seriously undernourished boy.  They can tape her but it wasn't that he slouched, any appearance of that was entirely the rigamarole of instrumentation he carried on to stage with him. I'm rather fond of him, like he was my animus whose inspiration caused me to  write the rhythm I got off a typewriter(not the same with a computer,somehow)on to the page.  (I always played it like a piano.)

Basically I just put his records on and let him roll while I did my writing  for the occasion.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1617 on: August 21, 2007, 11:00:16 AM »

Okay, madupont, here we go. 

1. Locate a picture you like on the web.  Or save it to photobucket or a similar service if you prefer. 
2. Copy the URL address for the picture. 
3. Paste the link into your message. 
4. Highlight the link you just pasted.
5. On the buttons above the message box -- second row, second button in (just under the I button) -- click on it.
6. Your picture link should now be bracketed as "iimage."
7.  Preview to make sure it worked to your satisfaction.
8.  Post at will. 
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1618 on: August 21, 2007, 02:13:51 PM »

Watched "Deja Vu" last night with my sister and we had a pretty good laugh.  It's an entertaining movie that has, without giving the mcguffin away, some pretty incredible leaps of logic, which I never really mind (please recall the tennis ball on a pencil being scorched by a can of lit aerosol in "The Core"), but the stuff here is pretty ludicrous.  There is one great line in the film delivered by the chief geek that almost makes it worth seeing, but Denzel is his likeable self and Tony Scott as usual doesn't waste our time while he is gleefully insulting our intelligences [sic].

Anyway, the motive of the bad guy is an equally bland insult to creating character, the chief motive being that the bad guy can't have any specific political agenda in a post-9/11 movie world because then you would be in the process of making a sort of political argument, which is bad.  Rooting for the good guy to beat the bad guy on the other hand is something we can do no prob.

"Deja Vu" is not a good movie, but if you like Denzel and don't care or are amused by leaps of logic and technology and the known laws of physics, and good-naturedly feel that the physical and spiritual worlds may interact in ways we don't understand and can't explain and movies that don't try very hard to convince in any cogent manner then have at it.  As Ebert has been known to say, you know who you are...

I get a kick out of most trash like "Dragonfly" or whatever, I'm a pushover for a dramatic soundtrack and high production values along with a series of 4-8 major WTF's.
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1619 on: August 21, 2007, 06:34:14 PM »

"My dear, I'm so full of Weimar Weltschmerz it hurts."--Fritz Kortner, Pandora's Box (1929)

« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 08:20:59 AM by pugetopolis » Logged

“Other people's obsessions
are more often funny than tragic.”
—Vincent Canby, The New York Times
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 304
  Print  

Jump to: