Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 21, 2018, 09:50:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 304
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 53192 times)
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1620 on: August 21, 2007, 10:23:29 PM »

"Notes on a Scandal" continues in the grand tradition of horny Europe movies without going ahead and pitching the story and making "Hollywood Hot Tubs."
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1621 on: August 22, 2007, 05:14:37 AM »

Euro Pudding is more in the Hollywood Hot Tubs vein, if looking for horny European movies,

Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1622 on: August 22, 2007, 05:19:25 AM »

I think one criterion for true awfulness is something into which a lot of money, acting talent, and expectation has been poured, and then it turns really sour.  Those are the ones that really burn.  "Almost Famous" seems to qualify.

I thought the same about "Showgirls," but it seems there are enough Verhoeven fans in this forum to dispute that.
obertray

« Reply #1623 on: August 22, 2007, 10:38:01 AM »

I broke down again and I went for a movies by mail subscription plan. I had Blockbuster and hated it beyond my vocabulary... But then they had a addition of hard copy at the store (one of which is within two miles of the dvdplayer) but.... uhhh...no!

Netflix offers out a "Download in as little as 30 seconds" while recognizing the weasel wording of "in as little as" (Or as much as 12 hours!) I figured, what the hey... for "as little as" 4.99 I'll give it a go.

Well, the "3 movies at a time" plan with 17 hours of online movies... you know how it is... but it's free for the first month (weasel alert) so....

What would be an appropriate first time to the laptop (which I figure I can hook to the teevee so, really, what do I need with three hard copies at a time for anyway?).. Ahhh, lookie lookie, The Darwin Awards.

I love the Darwin Awards, I've read their website through and through more than once (who says I don't read enough?) and it's web geekie enough to make it a good symbolic first download (the strange habit of which; having a symbolic first,  always makes me just a little afraid of myself when I remember that the first DVD I bought; which was also for a laptop which I did indeed connect to the teevee, was Falling Down)

Winsome longshorewoman is I guess what would describe Winona Ryder (Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!).

What makes this movie fun is the parade of guest shots, and since they are short and focused, the actors do excellent jobs of portraying their characters, many actors seem much better in this role than in any other I've seen. An example being David Arquette as the guy who straps the Jedo booster to his car.

Which brings us to the problem I have with this movie... I also love the website Snopes. And I was delighted to see the Mythbusters as the owners of the surplus store that sells the Jedo rocket. I'll probably take the time later, but I'm pretty sure that Snopes busted this urban legend (I don't know if the mythbusters ever tried to) In fact I got the feeling that many of the vignettes were Snopes.com material and less of them were Darwin Awards.

Bottom line. The download feature seems to be really good, I'll test it on the office desktop today on the projection screen that'll be cool (I hope).

Bottom line. If you haven't seen Darwin Awards, there are worse ways to kill an afternoon, like playing with firecrackers and gasoline.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1624 on: August 22, 2007, 12:29:18 PM »

I think one criterion for true awfulness is something into which a lot of money, acting talent, and expectation has been poured, and then it turns really sour.  Those are the ones that really burn.  "Almost Famous" seems to qualify.

I thought the same about "Showgirls," but it seems there are enough Verhoeven fans in this forum to dispute that.

Has anybody here seen his, The Black Book (Zwaertboek)
BorisBartenov
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1625 on: August 22, 2007, 12:36:14 PM »

Haven't seen Das Schwarzenbuch.

Have seen the German classic, Die Hard.  Very amusing, with excellent English dubbing.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
kitinkaboodle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1626 on: August 22, 2007, 01:12:11 PM »

Obertray:

Yes, totally in agreement that there are worse ways to while away an hour or so...Darwin Awards is moderately entertaining and more than just lightly amusing in a few spots, especially that shower scene with JF, worth watching just for that!

Barton may enjoy Winona's contribution to this satire as well...?!

Don't dance on a volcano...
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1627 on: August 22, 2007, 01:16:56 PM »

"Notes" is pretty good, I guess, and both Densch and Blanchett are good, but I especially liked Bill Nighy as Blanchett's older husband, good actor that I know I'd seen before but not memorably.  I prefer Hollywood crap of any sort to this kind of film, but it had it's amusing/creepy moments.
obertray

« Reply #1628 on: August 22, 2007, 01:51:21 PM »

Kitin,

A bit off topic here, but...

I found Metallica being able to make an "anti drug" speech entertaining when they ask the slacker "Dude, what were you THINKIN'?"

Slacker "You know man, Sex N Drugs N rock N Roll!"

Metallica "No man! Concentrate on rock N roll N sex! In your case concentrate on the Rcok N Roll, 'cause sex just ain't gonna happen!"

So here's my question is there an etymology of "Sex N Drugs N Rock N Roll" that predates Ian Dury, or did he make that phrase what it is today? Certainly there was sex, and there were drugs and they both went well with each other and with RnR (and rnr too) but was it Dury that first made them a triplet?
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1629 on: August 22, 2007, 01:51:25 PM »

I prefer Hollywood crap of any sort to this kind of film, but it had it's amusing/creepy moments.

I've noticed that.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1630 on: August 22, 2007, 03:00:24 PM »

jbottle and Dzimas:

I liked -- the amusing/creepy moments. I think the psychological dynamics of Judy Dench and Cate Blanchett were worth comprehending, considering how JD has a record of having done this before and avoided Criminal prosecution by being a fast talker,and there is every indication in the end of the film that she is still on the make to do it again, essentially dominate somebody else's attention for whatever she can get out of it.

I thought the dynamics of the school kids were also interesting.(not to mention the very insightful way women relive their earlier relationships by letting an underager seduce them; I had a shared-renter for one year only!after she pulled this  when teaching school in a rural area) 

jbottle, I agree with you about Bill Nighy, and now I have to insist that you look up everybody of his movies and view some of them. Not only The Constant Gardener, which Dzimas and I have discussed ages ago(I think, prior to our wandering in here)but also the wonderful awkward man of the world that he conveys when he picks up a much younger woman and invites her to a conference with him somewhere, Helsinki, I imagine and what he learns from the experience.  We are going to have to ask our resident authority,harrie, on this one because I've forgotten the title which I think was a made for tv?   I might get to the stacks at imdb after I drop off this other load of esoteric information.
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1631 on: August 22, 2007, 03:07:46 PM »

The Girl in the Cafe, a made-for-cable movie.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1632 on: August 22, 2007, 03:30:43 PM »

Thanks, donotremove. so, what did you make out of Damages?
martinbeck3

VIVA EL CAMPO ARGENTINO

fun+and+lit
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1633 on: August 22, 2007, 04:18:53 PM »

I don´t know about you girls, but to me that would has been my dream,specially with my maths teacher Miss whatever.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1634 on: August 22, 2007, 05:17:30 PM »

I don´t know about you girls, but to me that would has been my dream,specially with my maths teacher Miss whatever.

So, we hear from time to time, martin
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 304
  Print  

Jump to: