Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 22, 2018, 06:03:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 303
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 40713 times)
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1635 on: August 22, 2007, 06:07:56 PM »

Yeah, I wanted to see "The Constant Gardener" having loved Graham Greene books and even though I never read Le Carre, if that's who TCG is, I liked "The Tailor of Panama," and like character-driven espionage movies as a rule, so yeah, I'll redouble my efforts as they say.

"I've noticed that."

Judging from the notices that "Superbad" has gotten comparing it to landmark American films like "American Graffiti" and "Dazed and Confused," maybe there is more to be gleaned from revisiting "Porky's" from an enlightened point of view than there is telling the Mark Kay LeTourneau story from a British POV and nominating a couple of broads for their brave portrayals of imperfect humans yearning for sexual gratification and meaning in their lives.  Perhaps "Superbad," about much the same things in a somewhat more mainstream milieu, turns out to be the more interesting film.  I didn't get a lot of satisfaction from "Swimming Pool," despite the bikini shots, and thought that "Morvern Callar" was one of the poorer Spring Break Movies that I have ever seen.  Unlike "Weekend at Bernie's," the pair of female protagonists in MC don't take the dead guy on the road trip, and despite nudity by the pool, and hotelsex, the enterprise was ultimately morose and melancholy, and the nudity left no gratuitious thrill at all.  I thought, only Europe could yank the fun out of Spring Break.  I do notice that there is always some strange spiritual parallel between the teen sex comedy and the European Sex Drama, and I think artistically films like "The Party Animal" and the work of Sylvia Kristel have tried to speak in a universal language that satisfies the horny kid and yearning for a chance at transcendence or redemption, that keeps hope alive for those of every nation, color, creed, and brand of Spring Break movie.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1636 on: August 23, 2007, 12:07:20 AM »

Here's one bottle might have seen.  I thought Bill Nighy was wonderful as Davy Jones in the secod POTC movie.  He gave the role such a rich theatrical presence, far beyond his disfiguring make up.

If exploring the Sylvia Krystel opus, there is Lady Chatterley's Lover, not the best book-to-movie adaptation but sure to please most peurile fantasies.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1637 on: August 23, 2007, 12:31:38 AM »

Of course one of the beauties of Hollywood crap is that you usually don't have to think, just watch.  Movies have traditionally been a form of escapism and the less you think the better, especially after a busy day at the office or chasing your kids around the house, or just because you have nothing else better to do, so why not go to some titillating matinee, dealing with some teenage theme, that takes you far from the madding crowd.
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1638 on: August 23, 2007, 02:06:43 AM »

Damages, Maddy, is a serial and as such has red herrings and straw men out the wazoo, in order to string things along over a period of time, for a story that should just have a beginning, a middle, and an end.  The writers try their darnedest to lead you down paths that dead end.  They write in lots of set pieces that just take up time but provide closeups and/or mysterious long shots..  Thank the gods they don't have people in constant motion like on West Wing.  That show made me dizzy.  I quit watching it after the third season was just barely underway.  Anyway, I just watch, and wait on events.

Big Love is what's got me worried.  I never thought I'd be rooting for the compound prophet to survive his son's attempts to murder him (putting too much morphine in the IV drip).  But I sure don't want Alby to ascend to the power post.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1639 on: August 23, 2007, 09:43:38 AM »

Just saw "Zodiac."  Wow.  I don't have my appreciation for this film worked out to where I can write coherently about it, so let me just say it is easily the best film of 2007 so far.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1640 on: August 23, 2007, 09:54:11 AM »

"Zodiac" is my 3rd favorite movie of 2007, and when I say "of 2007," I mean "that I saw in a theater in 2007."  My top-6 so far are:

1. Rescue Dawn
2. Pan's Labyrinth
3. Zodiac
4. The Lives of Others
5. Year of the Dog
6. Hot Fuzz

Some of these may have been 2006 releases that I saw in a theater in 2007?

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1641 on: August 23, 2007, 10:12:22 AM »

Rescue Dawn has yet to manifest here in Sticksville, I saw Pan's in late 2006, so Zodiac is my tops, so far, for 2007.  I really want to see Das Leben des Anderes, though.

oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1642 on: August 23, 2007, 12:03:18 PM »

"Zodiac" *** SPOILERS ***

This movie really snuck up on me, because going into it I already knew it was going to be: (1) way too long and (2) pretty boring, since it's mostly just Gyllenhall and Ruffalo walking around in circles, getting frustrated, etc.  How could that possibly make for an enjoyable movie-watching experience?

High marks to David Fincher for pulling it off.  That he toned down the "Fincher" for this one (no shots with the camera going up Gyllenhall's nose and into his brain, etc.) is neither here nor there, I don't think.  I just thought it worked as a police-work movie, and knowing that they never catch the guy (although they probably actually did catch the guy, but they couldn't mount a strong enough case, etc.) didn't detract from that at all.

Plus, even if the movie stunk, it still would have been watchable, because every two seconds, there's some great ("oh, hey, it's that guy...") indie-movie character actor in a bit part, like John Getz, Elias Koteas, Donal Logue, James LeGros, etc., to keep you entertained. 

I only saw it once in the theaters, but I'll watch it again on DVD and report back (hopefully with some comments that are more meaningful or substantial or whatever) as soon as it's done.

"Zodiac" *** END OF SPOILERS***

Bottom line = Don't fear the long running time and don't fear the Fincher... "Zodiac" is worth a look.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1643 on: August 23, 2007, 01:43:40 PM »

Agree the indie ensemble was stupefyingly large and, as you say, added to the fun.  One quality of a really good film like this is the sheer amount of information there is to take in, and how much meaning there turns out to be to little bits you barely noticed -- just in the first scene alone, with Darlene driving around and looking anxious, and then later you understand the signif of all that.  So it's a film that you can watch again and hopefully get more out of it. 

I thought Ruffalo absolutely shone in this -- note-perfect and quietly making me believe absolutely in his character.  Some of the byplay between him and the cartoonist/Gyllenhaal is....well, I want to go back and run those scenes again right now. 

Gyll:  [describing the painting party at Darlene's where Leigh showed up and was scary]
Ruff:  What's a painting party?
Gyll:  Basically, you paint your house and invite people over to have drinks and help you paint.
Ruff: Doesn't sound like a very good party.

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1644 on: August 23, 2007, 01:43:56 PM »

Rescue Dawn has yet to manifest here in Sticksville, I saw Pan's in late 2006, so Zodiac is my tops, so far, for 2007.  I really want to see Das Leben des Anderes, though.

The Lives of Others, I noticed last night that it flashed on screen after I watched two hours of Islamic Spain (from the Visagoths, who did not use Visa, how do you spell that?, to the Inquisition but the emphasis in the middle was on Al Andalus, as a national treasure of some remaining architecture and gardens but particularly the intellectual contributions,in science and poetry, etc.)and as it went off screen--the promo was for The Lives of Others on DVD but not the usual company, I wasn't familiar with it and it went  by too fast.

This means, however, it will be on my On Demand in about 6 months, something to watch during the cold winter months because I frankly can't imagine it coming to Block Buster around here. It has been a tedious fight of local community interest/mores since I changed locales; like I never left my hometown suburbia in the McCarthy era.  If it does play here, that will be a first. I refuse to go to the  small local religious college's nearby foreign film entrepreneur's establishment because it is so full of mildew that half of the school's faculty must have come down with emphysema by now.
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1645 on: August 23, 2007, 02:27:54 PM »

Maddy, I caught most of that Islamic Spain on PBS last night (I had to finish up Why We Fight on cable, which ended up not telling me anything I already didn't know--that the military-industrial complex is now a triad with congress and they all three have us by the balls.)  I need to see that Spain thing again.  Too much information for one sitting.
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

That's What I'm Talking About

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1646 on: August 23, 2007, 02:32:38 PM »

I was completely bowled over by Zodiac as well.  The way it was shot was just about as close to perfect to anything I've ever seen, and the soundtrack was a work of genius.  Who ever thought Hurdy Gurdy man could be so disturbing?  My son and I watched it together, and he was asking me about the actual events before we started watching it.  I replied that the film was about an unsolved series of murders in the Bay area back in the 60s - that the murders weren't all that interesting because no one in particular seemed to be targeted and they were just completely random, seemingly, with no pattern.  The only reason I watched it was because I had heard it was very well done.  What a surprising treat it was - I agree that it is definitely the best movie so far this year.  Loved Robert Downey.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1647 on: August 23, 2007, 05:50:32 PM »

Spoilers for the best line in "Deja Vu," that is, if you plan to see the movie, don't read what follows because it's a good joke and it won't be as funny or as jarringly funnier than most of the script if you do......

The Onion has an interview of Adam Goldberg and he says that he and Kilmer had a good time and were the "bad boys" on the set of DV, but anyway, they didn't ask him about the line I'm getting ready to spoil [last chance to get out].

At a critical scientific/physics moment in the film, a sort of Scotty ("She can't take no more Jim...) or NASA or Air Traffic Controller, you know the SCIENCE ROOM, when everything starts to shake and they all have to pull together with all their scientific knowledge, etc., Goldberg nervily says "IyyyyyyyneeeedmoreCOWBELL!!!," basically directly from the Walken/Blue Oyster Cult's "Don't Fear the Reaper"/Will Ferrell skit, interpreting it as "give me all you've got!!!"  It's a good moment, but it seemed removed from the film's sensibility enough that I hoped Goldberg came up with it...this isn't a film littered with pop-culture references at all in dialogue, so anyway the gist of "I need more cowbell" was "Push the MacGuffin as hard as you can push it, science folks..."

So, sorry for spoiling, and then now when you see it you'll be all like--it wasn't that funny--and you're probably right.  Maybe it was just a sort of welcome reference to the silliness that kept me bouncing along with the weird science for the whole thing, I was going to say whole "enterprise," but she can't take no more, Jim, I'm doin' all I kin do...
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1648 on: August 24, 2007, 10:45:57 AM »

POTENTIAL ZODIAC SPOILERS

Des -- yes, the Donovan song which sort of "bookended" the film was chilling, though I always found something kind of dark in it, anyway.  Maybe it's that weird reverb thing.

The guy who played Arthur Leigh Allen (why do so many killers have three names?) must be the most ubiquitous actor in the biz these days, and yet I don't even know his name.  I see him everywhere.  First noticed him as the trencherman husband in "Fargo." 

The camera work is so good that I watched it a second time just to take in some of the really great shots while not straining to follow all the dialog. 

My dad was a journalist and I remember occasionally meeting the newsroom drunk/cynic -- Downey nailed it, AFAICT. 

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1649 on: August 24, 2007, 10:51:05 AM »

John Carroll Lynch

(played Leigh in Zodiac)

Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 303
  Print  

Jump to: