Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 20, 2018, 02:06:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 302
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 38395 times)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1695 on: August 28, 2007, 02:23:04 PM »

martinbeck3 re:#1716

I had forgotten about that, how important polo would be in Argentina. This means that movies had made Jones an international figure in more ways than one.   Although he is mostly Welsh, he has a Cherokee ancestor in the great grandpaternal generation.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1696 on: August 28, 2007, 07:43:18 PM »

Harrie:  I instinctively deleted the posts from the other night without reading them, but as I understand it, Owen Wilson made some sort of suicidal gesture or suicide attempt.  I guess at the time you said "did you spend the weekend with OW?," you were assuming like I was that he was "suffering from exhaustion" and coked...but I was just wondering what the return of incoherency boy was like, but I don't regret the deletion, but anyway, best to the Wilsons and I guess it has something to do with substance abuse.  I was on beer, therefore I have nobody to blame but myself and my teachers growing up.  I saw that Samuel Jackson went to see OW, who has had his own trouble with the dandruff of the gods, etc., but I hope he didn't really slit his wrists as reported, that's scary and very sad.  I was on the precipice of the opening paragraphs of "I Bash Harold," but that was as close as I got to the edge.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1697 on: August 28, 2007, 09:01:19 PM »

jbottle, I enjoyed your posts of the other night.  Sometimes I have to take two or three passes at them, but that's the English major in me, not necessarily reflective of your style. If you ever decide to really write, I'll buy a copy, ticket or whatever.

What made me think of the OW situation was your mention of a gun (and a latex glove, but these days everyone has those) and I believe a controlled substance.  So while I more see jbottle more as talking OW into putting the gun down than saying "Pull the trigger -- pull it -- you pussy!!"  I couldn't help but put the two together and wonder if maybe you had hopped a red-eye, checked into the Barton Fink suite and were taking your shot at the big H, screenwriting-wise, and somehow become wrapped up in the Wilson drama. Like, maybe you were the mystery 911 caller.  Or maybe you slipped out the back door as the ambulance pulled up. Or maybe it's just the full moon.

I, too, wish OW well, and give him credit for not denying (yet), not spinning, but just saying "please give me some privacy right now."  Which of course, nobody is. 
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1698 on: August 28, 2007, 09:31:18 PM »

I just wonder which one it was that got to him, made him say WTFamIdoing, etc.  Maybe the museum one?  Or the second Jackie Chan one?   Whatever it is, God Bless him. 

On another note or whatever, here's a recently-written nice take on "O.C. & Stiggs" by your boy Rabes:

http://www.avclub.com/content/blog/my_year_of_flops_case_file_54_o_c

I'm hoping he keeps the MYOF thing going.

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1699 on: August 28, 2007, 10:05:26 PM »

Yeah, Rabes is famous for ressurecting movies that some "here" have said were good for years.  I'm happy for Rabes, he's entering his "postmodern" or "insert your word here" phase of filmmaking watching bliss.  I think he used to read the NYT, or Tobes, or Phippsy, or all three, I'm pretty sure of it, there is really no reason to critically re-evaluate "O.C. & Stiggs," unless you are on a severe Altman binge (H.E.A.L.T.H. made me want to puke like motion sickness and lack of a stable core value 1980 Cali way, not from dislike, but more "airport disaffection," or whatever it is that makes you feel alone and without a moral compass, which, made me watch, because essentially it was having a laugh, but the creep factor was very high...), where you might try to hit them all, hell, I watched the Newman nuke one and give it a plus...but anyway, nothing against Rabes, or the fact that he saw FGF on a Phipps or Tobes tip (I defended FGF way back when), I honestly think it's indefensible that they would say they didn't get informed a bit by the NYTFF, and that ain't just pop eating itself...but I'm glad they do it...and I don't doubt that there are friends who say...no, you should really watch FGF, it's not "Tomcats," I promise, etc.

But those guys know that and are smart, so I'll never really know.  Harrie, thanks for the support of my careen, I really want to make my mother proud one day by making something she shouldn't see, but I'll probably continue to collect the martinizing check and keep my mouth shut.

I was thinking of Tom McGuane's "92 in the Shade" and the way it starts, if you've never read it, but anyway, I feel bad about Owen, because wanting to die is really antithetical to wanting to survive, which I thought was the whole enchilada.

Maybe he was so coked that he cut himself just to see if he would bleed, and then called 911. 

Me, no prob, I know what happens when I cut myself, which is never, and survival is paramount. 

I think a lot of people are suffering from PTSD as a result of 9/11, basically unwittingly, and that there are going to be repurcussions from that, especially for a guy like Owen who obviously has the curse/blessing of "instant karma," maybe he was too sensitive and not gay sensitive but just got his feelings hurt, and that does make me sad for him.

I don't think actors are different, but I think that some people internalize things in a complicated way, and some people have efficient defense mechanisms...I don't know what happened, but that sucks.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1700 on: August 28, 2007, 11:10:53 PM »

"The Bourne Ultimatum"

Yeah, I saw this one and was extremely impressed.  I love Paul Greengrass, because of "United 93," and how flat and real he played it.  I thought of all the wrong decisions he could have made, and how he didn't make a single one, from demonizing the terrorists or hero-making the "heroes."  To make a movie four years later with that level of competene and confidence, left me without any objection to the tone or politics of it. 

If you haven't seen it, see it.

"Bourne," on the other hand, was also well done and smart, and quick at around 93 min., and a chase the whole time.  He is, in short, my hero, and the way that he made a Hollywood movie digestible and quick, was supercool.  What I really didn't want was something that would bookend the trilogy by being overblown and "too much."

Paul Greengrass doesn't do "too much," he just does, and it was a refreshing way to approach a franchise.  His "artistic vision" and appreciation of the genre and form was right on...what can I say other than "big fan."

Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1701 on: August 29, 2007, 04:45:59 AM »

The preview for the Darjeeling Limited looks great,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcFBOsfoWxU
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1702 on: August 29, 2007, 09:48:18 AM »

Dzimas,

Are you absolutely, perfectly sure about that? Namaste, anyway.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1703 on: August 29, 2007, 10:04:12 AM »

Bourne did have a good pacing, yeah --- while all the chasing was well done, I thought Greengrass really had a flair for the building chase, leaping in and out of rooms, roofs, and so forth.  Fast cuts can induce vertigo and confuse, but here they really keep you "with" the character.

Haven't followed the Wilson news, hope he's going to be okay.

Jbot, there seems to be something in you that really wants to write a screenplay.  Do it.  Dropping bits and pieces of it among us, while fun, isn't action so much as stagnation and will make your Muse unhappy longterm.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1704 on: August 29, 2007, 11:04:27 AM »

The hardest part is getting used to the format of how you are placing the running dialogue on the page. Once you get used to reading your own ideas as dialogue, you've got it knocked.

It is most disconcerting to get used to at first, even after the advantage of  having read far more scripts than I cared to under circumstances mentioned slightly up sequence yesterday. Some of those when sent on by a personal representative or an actor's agent dumbfound you with lack of anything comprehensible in the script to give you an idea what the heck these people are doing.  But these things come in like clockwork  to the rep from  whomever is pushing the project. They arrive
at your door by Fed Ex every few days in a package when opened gives you a stack about a foot high for reading to see if it grabs you. Usually doesn't.

There's nothing wrong with submitting a scenario but think of it as a brief introduction to the script; and, if you were the one who had been weeding through the stack to find which one to start reading through in the foot high of puzzlement, it occurs to you immediately, do something with your title that's a grabber and pg 1 ought to be a startling or mysteriously questionable opener, intrigue,intrigue,intrigue, which is jbottle's long suite anyway only he has to see the dialogue in it rather than the monologue.
martinbeck3

VIVA EL CAMPO ARGENTINO

fun+and+lit
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1705 on: August 29, 2007, 11:57:43 AM »

I love Wilson.I hope he gets well soon.He´s very,very simpático.
obertray

« Reply #1706 on: August 29, 2007, 12:15:41 PM »

Bourne did have a good pacing, yeah --- while all the chasing was well done, I thought Greengrass really had a flair for the building chase, leaping in and out of rooms, roofs, and so forth.  Fast cuts can induce vertigo and confuse, but here they really keep you "with" the character.

Haven't followed the Wilson news, hope he's going to be okay.

Jbot, there seems to be something in you that really wants to write a screenplay.  Do it.  Dropping bits and pieces of it among us, while fun, isn't action so much as stagnation and will make your Muse unhappy longterm.

There is that one that I'm going to my friend with, Schitzoid Man. It'll be part manchurian Candidate, part Bourne Identity, part James Bond and part Princess Bride (I am the Dread Pirate Roberts 6, No you are the Dread Pirate Roberts 12!) And then it'll be set in SPACE!

You have the flair, now strike it! But remember, you must always be able to spread your screenplay into a trilogy at least, or Hollywood won't even be interested in it.

My friend has a movie going into production (well, to be honest, I'm not sure what the status is on this one, last I heard they were in need of someone, I told him that if it was a fatting, balding, middle aged man he was looking for, then I'd clear my calendar for him, he said he'd add my name to the list, something about not calling, I didn't catch that part, the connection became static-y) with a movie the idea of which deserves to be straight to video (IMJO, where J = Jealous) but which he can easily ressurect more often than Michael from Halloween!

Madupont,

You reminded me of the gag in the movie Throw Mama From the Train, where Billy Crystal's character is trying to think up the opening line (which is intentionally like "It was a dark and stormy night") and can't come up with the word, and doesn't want to kill Mama... until she tosses out the perfect word as if "That's easy, what's so hard about that?" at which time BC engages in the act of Throwing.

Thank you for what is left of that memory.

And absolutely no, the fact that the memory is of TMamaFTT and you are Ma Dupont (far as I can tell, but then we all could be mad) are not related.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1707 on: August 29, 2007, 05:02:48 PM »

Here's a present for you, obertray.

http://www.newyorksocialdiary.com/nysd/socialdiary#nysdtop
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1708 on: August 29, 2007, 05:45:57 PM »

Maddy, here's something I ran across while reading Blessed Unrest by Paul Hawken:

"Pierre Omidyar, founder of eBay, and his first employee, Jeff Skoll, have created organizations that aggressively promote socail values.  Along with the Google Foundation, they have instituted ways to fund both profit making and nonprofit social enterprises, erasing the age-old distinction of civil society as separate from commerce.  Omidyar Network has divided $400 million into two for- and nonprofit funds, focusing primarily on microfinance, technology, and community development ideas.  Skoll believes his mission is social change, and he tries to achieve it in a variety of ways.  His film company, Participant Productions, produces movies squarely aimed at social justice: its releases include Syriana, about the dark intrigues of petro-empires; Good Night and Good Luck, which reminded us how the McCarthy era is not too far from where we are today; and Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth.  Asked if he was worried about losing his money in Hollywood, Skoll replied his film company was a philanthropy."

The information goes on to say Skoll's foundation is the leading funder of social entrepreneurship in the world.  The Google foundation worth one billion has foregone tax exemption in order to be able to put their money how, when, and where they want to, and under whatever circmstances necessary to get the social mission job done.
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1709 on: August 29, 2007, 11:46:13 PM »

"United 93," and how flat and real he played it.  I thought of all the wrong decisions he could have made, and how he didn't make a single one, from demonizing the terrorists or hero-making the "heroes."  To make a movie four years later with that level of competene and confidence, left me without any objection to the tone or politics of it. 

If you haven't seen it, see it.

Hear, hear...or see, see...or si, si...or just I agree completely.  That movie was one of those I rate by how long I'll stay with it even when I have to pee (hmmm, should we give a rating consisting of 1-4 urinals, or would those little bottles--oops, sorry, j-- the doctors & probation officers use be better?)  I even watched it twice and was gripped again.

Donotremove, thanks for posting that--was glad to see it.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 11:49:24 PM by nytempsperdu » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 302
  Print  

Jump to: