Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 22, 2018, 02:48:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 303
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 40600 times)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1725 on: August 30, 2007, 08:41:10 PM »

That difference of who found whom is a discrepancy that makes it a variable rather than a veritable story.

"Damn shame that he will never be viewed in the same carefree light again, though Downey seems to have maintained his sobriety and sense of humor intermittently enough to maintain a career.  Waking up in the bunkbed of some house where you don't know the family, odd as that may be (Downey), is actually funny and sure sad..."

We had a friend who did that regularly when we were all young marrieds. I don't recall that changing in that decade at any rate. His wife was happy when she simply found him in the driveway asleep because he was too far gone to get out of the car.  I'm pretty sure this continued, for another two decades, when before the divorce he picked up some dork from Cape Cod and announced his engagement because my now he was mean and accusative and didn't keep appointments. But he did show me how to use a computer such as it was in those days. Kind of prefer what it was like "in those days". Cleaner, speedier, less crap.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1726 on: August 31, 2007, 03:18:32 AM »

Oh my! it would seem bad boy Steve Coogan is to blame for Wilson's apparent heroine and cocaine addiction,

http://movies.go.com/tipster?id=913539

Of course, one has to wonder about the source.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1727 on: August 31, 2007, 04:01:58 AM »

Silly me!  I thought Kate Hudson was still with Chris Robinson.  I never took her for the femme fatale type.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1728 on: August 31, 2007, 06:09:58 AM »

After all the Halloween movies, it is kind of funny that they are remaking the original,

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809784517/video/3545602

It looks like it will be more lurid, if nothing else.  But, why not wait for Halloween?
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1729 on: August 31, 2007, 09:12:58 AM »

Thesuperficial.com ("Because You're Ugly") says they heard that Courtney Love says that it was Stever Coogan who got Owen Wilson hooked on the crank (or the smack or the horse or whatever you call it), or maybe re-hooked or something.  They read it in The Post:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08292007/news/nationalnews/owens_coke_and_heroin_breakdow.htm

I figured it was sour grapes on Courtney Love's part because Steve Coogan refused her request to give her the stuff -- you know, "for safekeeping."  (wink,wink)
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1730 on: August 31, 2007, 09:16:35 AM »

After all the Halloween movies, it is kind of funny that they are remaking the original,

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809784517/video/3545602

It looks like it will be more lurid, if nothing else.  But, why not wait for Halloween?

As a matter of fact, I watched the original Halloween on IFC last night; they're probably showing it because the new one's coming out (and I don't know why not closer to Halloween, either).  Even though the original is very textbook -- maybe because it's a semi-blueprint for all the copycats - and I know where every surprise is coming, etc.  it's still extremely well done.  Enjoyed it thoroughly.  Again.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1731 on: August 31, 2007, 12:27:45 PM »

I didn't pause to consider that maybe Owen Wilson finally felt a deep sense of remorse for not crediting Steeley Dan for the original idea for "You, Me and Dupree," and it just about killed him.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1732 on: August 31, 2007, 12:47:50 PM »

He must have felt he was reeling in the years.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1733 on: August 31, 2007, 01:27:16 PM »

Much prefer the Cuervo Gold, the fine Columbian, make love to these women so languid and bittersweet in my bad sneakers, but any major dude would tell ya that I'm a fool to do your dirty work.
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1734 on: August 31, 2007, 02:28:52 PM »

Silly me!  I thought Kate Hudson was still with Chris Robinson.  I never took her for the femme fatale type.

or a whore
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1735 on: August 31, 2007, 02:37:59 PM »

...and Kate thought Chris Robinson was "hard to handle..." what with all that (gasp!) mj around...
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1736 on: August 31, 2007, 02:51:39 PM »

OW is from Texas, and there may have been some tangential heat from the whole Matthew McConaughey Federal Bongo charges.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1737 on: August 31, 2007, 06:55:59 PM »

They do not play when it comes to nude pecussion after midnight, dude.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1738 on: August 31, 2007, 06:58:41 PM »

Oh, and Rabes goes to "Cruising" in "My Year of Flops," it's just hard to imagine that the "O.C. & Stiggs" and other selections weren't somewhat informed by the flow of discussion on the NYTFF, true feeling.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1739 on: August 31, 2007, 11:41:06 PM »

okay,barton,desdemona,oilcanboyd,

I finally saw Zodiac. What a thing to have lived through;anywhere in California.

barton, you were right about Downy as Avery, having the type down. I used to be a regular at an extremely old fashioned bar within blocks of the major newspaper in my hometown to which the journalists gravitated. Believe me there is nothing like having your own personal journalist on a completely professional basis without sexual dues or innuendo,when you need a real fact checker to locate something for you. I hadn't realized how lucky I was to have known so many journalists gathered in one place and getting to know them over an extensive period of many years (early in the Vietnam war to be exact).

I've finally figured out that if Mark Ruffalo doesn't make another film really quick, his potential for becoming the next Peter Falk is remarkable. It is like watching Peter Falk as a younger man, with this particular role

Favorite scene, when Gyllanhaal gets snookered into going down into the basement,after watching the front door being locked after he's entered the  house of a complete stranger. This is a sign that maybe  you should doubt his ability to put clues together.

Who was the girl in prison, with the bruised arms, I don't mean the character but rather the actress whom he interviews who gives him the name Lee=Leigh? She used to be in Carnival, and I don't see any credits for her in reviews so far.
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 303
  Print  

Jump to: