Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 23, 2018, 05:08:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 300
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 34164 times)
obertray

« Reply #1755 on: September 05, 2007, 12:59:03 PM »

Hopefully, he's a plastic surgeon!

72; the new 57!

(I knew it didn't sound right)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 02:36:58 PM by obertray » Logged
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1756 on: September 05, 2007, 01:02:43 PM »

Looks a little like Bear Bryant there.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1757 on: September 05, 2007, 04:04:27 PM »

http://www.avclub.com/content/interview/christian_bale/2

Bale is pretty funny about not making a big deal about "acting."
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1758 on: September 05, 2007, 05:28:25 PM »

jbottlr

Is this the one you meant?:

"And then you go and have to deal with the financial level. In terms of financiers, in their eyes, no, I ain't the first on the list. That's how I mean "successful," in that respect. There are many actors who can probably absolutely plan their careers and really, really have the pick of the bunch."

Or, is this the one you meant?:  "Sure, I was working, and I was loving it. And I was getting to travel and stuff. But you know, I was paying bills, and I was having responsibilities that they didn't have yet. A certain amount of it was just wanting to shirk those".

Then there were the comments.

Here are a couple that contradict each other.  one fan comes up with this:"... screwing up on the set of Spielberg" ; and it took me awhile scrolling down the comments when I said STOP, how could you screw up
when doing--Empire of the Sun, and you are working with people like Malkovich?

So, here comes the reply from another fan: "Bale is one of the few who actually seems to be aware that he's supposed to be acting like DIFFERENT PEOPLE in DIFFERENT SITUATIONS. He's not quite this generation's De Niro, but he could be the closest thing we've got at the moment. I've been a fan ever since Empire Of The Sun ( the greatest performance by an adolescent in a movie since Jodie Foster's heyday)..."

Nevertheless, some fan in there somewhere comments on Bales use of the Persona which personally  I always bring up as the choice for a young person and be sure their stage Mom understands the concept. The wannabe actor in movies has a choice of learning to act on the job and improving their acting or--
Inventing a Personna that you pretend to be and then you are stuck with it. Tell yourself you are Bette Davis, go ahead.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1759 on: September 05, 2007, 11:10:18 PM »

I don't think Christian Bale is any sort of wannabe, it's just that he didn't go to SCHOOL TO ACT, that seems like a fairly obvious parallel with some of the finest "actors," most of who learnt from the school of hard knocks, or by watching people, and I'm sure Bale got a lot of that, and judging from his performance in "American Psycho," gathered the subtlety that is normally lost on the most bankable or simply good-looking, so, I don't know what you mean, and I haven't seen a lot of Bette Davis movies, but a lot of film actors are hicks of some sort, like Nicholson, Warren Oates, Faye Dunaway, I don't have to make you a list.  Not going to college might actually prepare you to play people who did and the way they act, right?  If you have an eye.  You seem unusually protective of the profession, which, whatever "it" is, Bale has it in SPADES, and don't mistake his comments about how he came by his talent any other way.  You can't make somebody good-looking and act at the same time, no matter how much school they have, and it's much easier to be drawn to a project if you choose "Batman" when Chris Nolan is attached to get it out for the summer, that's fortunate, but to turn it down when fate didn't draw you that hand and you made something else because of "NAME THE HIT," well, that's a fuck up and what ordinary people call "street sense," which I think Bale knows he has, and he likes the adventure more than the accolade, despite completely immersing himself in the AS character, which he could've solely blown despite competent direction, and instead, bullseyed, so yeah, I don't think he has a lot of respect for trained thespians, and you know what, if you can act like he can ACT, why the fuck would he give a shit.  See, he doesn't, and he doesn't have to explain his method even if he doesn't need one.  That's who CHRISTIAN BALE is, in case you didn't think I was a fan or misunderstood where he was coming from, this isn't the SCHOOL OF HARD CONCEPTS.  He's a good actor, and when I mean good, I mean one of the best we have.  Ask Johnny Depp where he went to school.  Why is Mark Wahlberg a good actor and producer?  Not school, and I mean, I went to school, but you seem to think that it's not alright to be good at something unless you went to class for it, whereas, in acting, the opposite, as far as film acting, is more often the case.  People who know what people do, instead of being on anti-psychotic meds because the people in their lineage are psychotic, etc., send him/her to acting school, rather than the bloodsport and tedious hours of other more ordinary work.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1760 on: September 06, 2007, 12:13:05 AM »

Whoa,jbottle:

"...so, I don't know what you mean, and I haven't seen a lot of Bette Davis movies..."

I meant exactly what I said, he obviously was a great actor barely out of his childhood, playing a child. I knew that when I saw the performance. And what I said is that you have  choices when you think you want to be in pictures. You can act or decide to become a "personality"(personna, as was Bette Davis who was fortunately also able to act but she generally portrayed herself); but then the majority of stars did at that time, when  "the actors" were known as "character actors".
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1761 on: September 06, 2007, 12:34:10 AM »

"I mean, I went to school, but you seem to think that it's not alright to be good at something unless you went to class for it, whereas, in acting,"

And, I mean, how the heck do you come by that idea that I seem to think that it's not?

If you compare the two quotes that I posted to you, and the reason that I posted was simply to make conversation or a comparison, to me it is a chuckle of the kind of thing the young actor is up against quite suddenly because of the nature of the business, the business end of it these days.

Given the other business of money to be made publicizing "celebrities", how would any one not know exactly whom Johnny Depp knows that was clicking interaction.

Why I'm supposedly overly protective beats me.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1762 on: September 06, 2007, 12:46:12 AM »

Besides, I was probably still on track of oilcanboyd in television forum.

I had just seen the promo for 3:10 to Yuma or  3:10 from Yuma, whatever, and got the point, when harrie was slightly grousing. There was Russell Crowe being obvious about doing a Western and I'm not sure what Christian Bale was doing behind what ever he was behind but if somebody said it was the same thing R.C. is doing what he thinks he is doing, harrie may be very right.    All Yuma means to me frankly is a place where my uncle Joe lived for a long time and then was killed in a car crash.
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1763 on: September 06, 2007, 02:27:32 AM »

And, I mean, how the heck do you come by that idea that I seem to think that it's not?

Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

“Other people's obsessions
are more often funny than tragic.”
—Vincent Canby, The New York Times
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1764 on: September 06, 2007, 02:28:34 AM »

All Yuma means to me frankly is a place where my uncle Joe lived for a long time and then was killed in a car crash.

Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1765 on: September 06, 2007, 02:31:23 AM »

Tell yourself you are Bette Davis, go ahead.

Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

Well, er, okay......."What a dump!?!"

pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1766 on: September 06, 2007, 04:43:43 AM »

Attack of the Giant Leeches (1959)

Well, for some reason I just couldn’t sleep tonight. I don’t know why—maybe it was something I ate. Or maybe it was something that tried to eat me…

Anyway, Donny, I did like I usually do—I popped some popcorn, drank a couple of Coors “Silver Bullets”—and sat my little fanny down in front of the TV for some get-down campy Grade B tacky schlocky movie enjoyment.

For some reason, when I get depressed by all the Tacky Meandering Mushy-brained Maudlin Madness out there in the world—a really good schlock-oozing amazingly-crummy Grade B horror movie perks me right up.

Yes, sir, probably because it makes me laugh and sometimes that’s all a guy can really do—when faced with how stupid and lame some individuals are out there in the world.

So I end up usually fumbling thru a stack of fascinatingly campy horror flicks like Attack of the 50 Foot Witch (1959) or Bride of the Monster (1956) or The Brainiac (1951) or Charlie Chan and the Scarlet Prick (1945) or High School Confidential (1958) or I Was A Teenage Werewolf (1957) or Plan 69 From Outer Space (1959) or Voodoo Woman (1959)…the usually campy classics.

And if I’m especially depressed—I go for the really trashy ones. Like Attack of the Giant Leeches (1959). With super-sexy Yvette Vickers—the sexiest young thing down there in bug-infested Florida (actually the LA County Arboretum). There are a lot of blood-sucking leeches hanging around Vickers—and she knows it. She’s the classic femme fatale—egging them on, pushing them away, egging them on some more. She enjoys every moment of tormenting her various and sundry priapic lovers. Just like what’s her name…

“Aw, c’mon Liz, baby!” her poor ineffectual whiner husband, Bruno Ve Sota, says. Everybody in the county knows Yvette is easy—well sort of. Swamp women be fickle anyway dontchaknow. But then look at what she’s got to deal with—dumb hunky but none-too-bright guys like Michael Emmet.

Actually I’ve been a great fan of Bruno Ve Sota for many years—too bad Ve Sota never progressed to the ranks of “A” character players. Ve Sota and Vickers don’t have any competition in this movie—unless its from the slimy bloodsucking famished leeches…

Some of my other favorite Ve Sota movies are—Female Jungle (1955), Dementia (1955), A Bucket of Blood (1959), The Wasp Woman (1960), Attack of the Princeton Mummy (1964), My Mother the Witch (1965), The Perils of Pauline (1967) and Beatnik Baby Killer (1969).

I won’t bore you with the movie—if you’re truly a serious moviegoer than you’ve seen Attack of the Giant Leeches a million times now. I always like to watch it to regain my composure—after being around certain crummy energy-sucking people who drain me dry.

There are such creatures out there you know—Leech People who’ll suck all your time and energy out of you. And then spit you out—like a watermelon seed. You know—the high-maintenance types? Like that woman always talking about her dead uncle down there in Tucson. I stay away from her—she likes me too much.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 06:26:28 AM by pugetopolis » Logged

ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1767 on: September 06, 2007, 08:44:30 AM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0796368/

In what may be the best "buddy flick" since Butch and Sundance, Don Cheadle and Chiwetel Ejiofor shine in "Talk to Me". Great performances, soundtrack, production... great film. And yes, it does expose the leechiness of people in general. And institutionalized leechiness as well.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1768 on: September 06, 2007, 10:18:02 AM »

"Charlie Chan and the Scarlet Prick" -- ?

Really?

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1769 on: September 06, 2007, 10:34:18 AM »

What Yuma means to me.....my brother was stationed there with the Marines for a while. And of course, it has the courthouse where they're going to try Glenn Ford/Russell Crowe for murder. 

I'm conflicted on Russell Crowe; I've seen him in stuff where I think "Hoky smokes, Bulliwinkle -- that's Russell Crowe" -- meaning that there I sit, watching a movie, thinking it's not bad, and deciding whether I'm going to stick with it....and RC shows up.  Mystery, Alaska and The Sum of Us come to mind.  Even in The Insider I liked his work. But then you get into the "Russell Crowe Movies" category and I just want to puke -- Gladiator, Master and Commander, Beautiful Mind, Cinderella Man for example.  When he was just Russell Crowe, he was okay; but when he's Russell Crowe -- thank you, bye.  Somehow I get the feeling he's not losing any sleep over my disenchantment with his persona/career. 

So I caught Cutter's Way, which I can't justify as a particularly good movie, but I still liked it a lot.  Jeff Bridges is Lebowski Heavy (as opposed to Lite), John Heard in one role that totally makes me forget he's doing time (or did time, maybe he's out) for beating up the SO; and excellent performances by Lisa Eichorn and Anne Dusenberry as their respective SOs.  Offhand, I can't think of an untrue Bridges performance (that I've seen, anyway), so it goes without saying that he was great, too.  I have a feeling everyone's seen this one, so I won't go into the plot details; but it's a goofy/slacker noir type of flick.  It had a couple of "eh" moments, but I was willing to discount them to keep going along on the ride.

Also saw the last half of The Wedding Crashers.  Loved it, want to see the whole thing.  I know, look up Netflix in the dictionary....  speaking of which, Netflix (and that $1 rental red box thing in the supermarket) killed my local video store outlet.  The closest independent video store is now 25 minutes away; but it's a great place so could be worth fitting into the routine.

Also caught part of In Her Shoes, which is a formula chick flick.  Usually I don't watch them, but the alternative was Must Love Dogs and if there's one thing I hate more than a formula chick flick, it's a formula cute love flick.  With IHS, I was pleasantly surprised by the performance of Cameron Diaz - I always thought she was really pretty and good at comedy, but not particularly deep. Not that this was a deep role, but CD did show more dimension than I expected.  Toni Collette was excellent as usual; same for Shirley MacLaine in a role she could probably play in her sleep.

Also saw Endless Summer II -- I'm a sucker for surfer movies.  I could have turned off the sound and just enjoyed the scenery and photography, which was excellent and at times mind-boggling, as in "how the hell did they get that shot?"  I highly recommend ESII as a way to while away two hours that you don't really have to while away. 
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 300
  Print  

Jump to: