Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 19, 2018, 08:28:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 299
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 33562 times)
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1770 on: September 06, 2007, 10:35:49 AM »

"Charlie Chan and the Scarlet Prick" -- ?

Really?

Maybe in the adult section.....
obertray

« Reply #1771 on: September 06, 2007, 10:38:16 AM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0796368/

In what may be the best "buddy flick" since Butch and Sundance, Don Cheadle and Chiwetel Ejiofor shine in "Talk to Me". Great performances, soundtrack, production... great film. And yes, it does expose the leechiness of people in general. And institutionalized leechiness as well.

Best Buddy Flick since Butch & Sundance has had to be, Midnight Run. If you are saying this is better than that... Well, maybe I'll use it to calibrate a "Ponderosa hyperbolemeter."
obertray

« Reply #1772 on: September 06, 2007, 10:54:30 AM »

And speaking of Net Flix... That "Instant viewing" routine is not all it's cracked up to be.

The movies they have available are generally the movies that were filler at the video store.

Of course there are a few that I do, will want to see, but for the most part....

We did hook the computer up to the Teevee so that we could watch, works ok, not great but ok. We watched Grifters wherein Annette Benning manages to make her neked self look very undesirable (maybe the hookup was less than ok). And when we tried to find a comedy to follow up, we were offered plenty of blu collar comix unfoxworthy though they were!

I'll probably not continue after the trial subscription.

I was happy to see Rozencranz et al and I am enjoying The Prisoner so... maybe I'll give them a little longer, but I don't need the 17 hours of instant viewing and three movies at a time package...

I'm sure you wanted to know.

I know nobody who ever had anything nice to say about Yuma (or bad for that matter).
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1773 on: September 06, 2007, 12:14:28 PM »

Best Buddy Flick since Butch & Sundance has had to be, Midnight Run. If you are saying this is better than that... Well, maybe I'll use it to calibrate a "Ponderosa hyperbolemeter."

smart man. i've thought of several others since posting this morning. that second cup of coffee percolates the hyperbole.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1774 on: September 06, 2007, 12:24:01 PM »

Harrie, haven't seen Cutter's Way, so thanks for putting me on the alert ("Lebowski-heavy" drew my interest).  Will rent.

Obertray -- a lot of the bent-reality stuff, from "Lost" to "The Matrix," owes a debt to the groundbreaking Prisoner series.  You are in for some classic viewing.  And heroes don't run like that anymore (like McGoo in the intro).  I suppose they have coaches for that kind of thing now.

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1775 on: September 06, 2007, 12:30:17 PM »

"Tango & Cash" has to figure in there somewhere, I mean, those two really had science going.

And maud, I was probably a little unfair in construing what you were saying, it was just an excuse to go off on a little Bale praise.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1776 on: September 06, 2007, 12:58:19 PM »

"Cutter's Way" is great for the haminess of Heard, the general tone of bemusement/malaise, and for a particularly funny scene at the end of the film.  Heard is awesome, and Bridges plays right under him really well, I never thought of it as a bridge in genre noir towards TBL but I think harrie makes a fine point there.

My sister made me watch the Diaz/Law/Winslet/Black chick flick "The Holiday," which I thought was pretty good despite plot contrivance and that the Diaz character's only appeal, really, is that she looks like Cameron Diaz and is "spunky" or whatever.  I don't normally recommend chick flicks, but the cross-cutting between the two stories worked, even if it's a little too long.  "Alien" was coming on and my sister was threatening to watch it alone in the other room and my brother in law and I and sigboth, and we had to relent.  I can tell my sister "Alien" is a masterpeice and she will say something like "What if I don't feel like watching space monsters eat people?," she didn't that night, but she could've and it would've been tough to counter-argue.  It's not great, but some of the writing was good and there is a warm-hearted subplot that registers.  Okay, I will never talk about "The Holiday" again.
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1777 on: September 06, 2007, 01:14:37 PM »

Thumbs up

Love that Emma De Caunes

Movie short enough for kids.  Clean as well.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1778 on: September 06, 2007, 02:17:28 PM »

Heard is awesome, and Bridges plays right under him really well, I never thought of it as a bridge in genre noir towards TBL...

Well, I thought of CW as Lebowskiesque in that John Heard = John Goodman as far as playing the Vietnam vet/Jeff Bridges friend who instigates the action.  Plus the bad guy is rich and bald, but I guess that's like a universal truism.   I admit to using the term "noir" loosely in this case - but it wasn't quite straight drama (to me, anyway) or action or anything, plus there were requisite plot twists, etc. that led me down the road to calling it noir.  And perhaps -- gasp -- TBL should be called Cutteresque, since Cutter's Way preceded it.   But I will not be the one to go there.

And I almost forgot to mention the similarities between The Dude and Rich, Jeff Bridges' characters in TBL and CW.  Basically, Rich in CW reminded me of The Dude in TBL but without the goofy sense of humor.  Like, if Rich were being dunked in the toilet, he probably wouldn't have the presence of mind to say "It's down there somewhere, let me take another look."  Rich would likely have come up with a bon mot like "Gurgle, gurgle, shit, man!"  Plus Rich is in a helluva better physical condition than The Dude, but that's just gravy.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 03:01:26 PM by harrie » Logged
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1779 on: September 06, 2007, 05:03:18 PM »

What Yuma means to me.....my brother was stationed there with the Marines for a while.

Am enjoying your movie messages very much. I wish others would open up a little bit too and share their Moviegoing experiences with the rest of us movie fans...

By the way, did you ever bump into Mad's Uncle Joe or whatever his name was there in Yuma or Tucson or wherever it was. I keep losing track when she gets into her "dropping names" mode -- everybody from the President of Princeton University to the Queen of Siam...

Somebody ought to do a movie of Madame Mad...what would be a good name for it I wonder?

How about Queen of Outer Space?

« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 05:05:22 PM by pugetopolis » Logged

“Other people's obsessions
are more often funny than tragic.”
—Vincent Canby, The New York Times
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1780 on: September 06, 2007, 06:05:30 PM »

Charlie Chan and the Scarlet Prick (1937)

In one of the more elaborate Chan films, Boris Karloff is Madvelle, an ex-operatic baritone who escapes from a mental institution and is blamed for the murder of his wife and her lover.

Chan (Whiskeypriest) figures the plot out with help from number-one son (Barton) and beautiful girlfriend (Desdemona).

The plot thickens when Mad Madvelle sings (with dubbed voice) and appears as Miss Mephistopheles in Faust Goes to Washington—a NatSec thriller from the old cloak-and-dagger days in the Big Apple.

The Scarlet Prick “comes up” when Madvelle puts the make on Barton—held captive as a sex-slave in an elegant male bordello opium den on Park Avenue.

Naturally Chan is miffed—knowing his number one son has been had.

“Other people's obsessions
are more often funny than tragic.”
—Vincent Canby, The New York Times
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1781 on: September 07, 2007, 02:52:29 AM »

Admittedly, you had me searching for this title, pugey.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1782 on: September 07, 2007, 02:58:55 AM »

The Lair of the White Worm held my interest for awhile.  I loved that dance Amanda Donohoe did to try to tempt the untemptable Hugh Grant,

while poor Eve was tied up in knots waiting for her sacrificial rites,

elportenito1

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1783 on: September 07, 2007, 07:26:40 AM »

barton: All you always wanted to know about Dr. Plonk, but you never knew where to look for:

http://www.drplonk.com/#

See the preview, it takes a bit of a while to download, after all...Australia is far away.

in vino veritas
obertray

« Reply #1784 on: September 07, 2007, 10:21:04 AM »

Barton,

Thank you for the Prisoner insights.

Prisoner spoilers************Highlight to see better*****************

Someone once told me at the NYT that somehow #6 is actually #1 and then there was a debate over the spoiling rules (I favored the idea that it wasn't a spoiler if the show was over 5 years old, which TP obviously was).

You might recall that I was the one who made the comment about the way we used to run (you, IIRC expressed Huh when I said it) I only bring this up so that I sure we're all on the same page as to who I am (some people might think so but are waiting for a Who citation to be sure). (Yikes!!! I used an emoticon! How'd that happen? Not the worst thing that could happen, not the best either!)

In Re Madupont:

Well, I have been looking for a way to say this without bringing the whole thing up again, and I'll use this.

As far as the symbolism of the stag in The Queen. I can see the symbol being the Queen herself. I didn't fact check but MaDD (wherein DD is the symbol for DuPont on the NYSE) mentioned that there are 14 points on the crown. The stalking of the stag is co incident with the stalking of the Queen herself as the press and the populace were "taking shots" at the queen and the monarchy in general. Forcing her to alter her behaviors just as the stalking of an animal is designed to put the animal in a position where it can be dispatched.

The Stag scene then reminds the queen of.... I don't get this scene other than as a photo op.

The death of the stag and the acceptance thereof is akin to the acceptance of the inevitability of what was to come next. Like it or don't.

I like the Diana theory better, but I can see where the stag is supposed to be the queen.

And, one other thing... I am absolutely not a Monarchy o phile. I absolutely dispise the Bread and Circus that is "Royalty" celebrity or otherwise. I only watched The Queen when I did because it was a movie that my wife and I could agree on. It had nothing to do with the "Anniversary timing".

I will not join in on any poster bashing. If one doesn't like the style of another poster, use they Ignore or the Scroll button.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 10:59:58 AM by obertray » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 299
  Print  

Jump to: