Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 19, 2018, 05:39:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 302
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 37728 times)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1785 on: September 07, 2007, 11:06:12 AM »

harrie,re:#1792

Was L.A. Confidential not part of your theme-park of acting surprises?

Here's the thing about RussellCrowe, never let  his appearance detract from the underlying story line. For instance, at risk of offending the  Pretentious Poohba of Poetry?, I would consider reading--A Beautiful Mind, which was written about the actual John Nash who was never around when I was but I went(to the film) to see the buildings in a fit of nostalgia for being denied the opportunity to walk by and through every day as I had at the end of the Eighties and into the Nineties, a part of your life that you take for granted will always be there---and it is---but I  am not; as I went on to other places and sometimes recall enjoyable moments no longer available just around the corner. For instance, they showed us rental movies on the largest tv for movie buffs who enjoyed
the interior architecture of http://etcweb.princeton.edu/Campus/text_Chancellor.html

(the exterior is now surrounded by leafy trees and kiosks on the flagstones just across from the Firestone Library)

http://www.dailyprincetonian.com/archives/2005/10/21/news/13559.shtml

But this was where we went to the weekly movies for a pittance in the chemistry lecture hall in a bldg covered with wisteria each May.

Where else could you run into the mourning women from the so-called commune of Abbie Hoffman by going to the town's only movie theater to see: Born on the Fourth of July,  ?   Likewise, where else could you attend a gala lecture on John Ford and how to save old films for posterity, by Martin Scorsese, and then duck out without actually meeting him at the reception following amidst  a crowd of clamoring fans.

Princeton produced some major poets like W.S. Merwin and Galway Kinnell (back in the Forties; and I also felt lucky not bumping into the latter at Reunion on the day his daughter Maud matriculated.) But, you can be out on an errand, and notice Brooke Shields,no longer a child star but an ordinary coed, on her way to campus where she was studying with Natalie Zemon Davis.

Having said all that, I enjoyed The Sum of Us,the basic story line is well- done, as an interesting father-son relationship  among ordinary working class Australians (and yes, my Uncle Joe Dupont used to go there on R&R during the "war in the Pacific" when he was a supply sargent on New Guinea). Meanwhile, we know that RussellCrowe sails on with Fletcher Christian to dreaded incestuous cannibal islands of the
mind until he is as large as Charles Laughton or Marlon Brando.
kitinkaboodle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1786 on: September 07, 2007, 11:44:10 AM »

hhhmm...

Russell Crowe?  Most guys I know loved him as Maximus.  Gladiator, not being a fave for me (with the exception of Joaquin P.'s performance) I'll venture that early Crowe is much more appealing i.e. Proof...

Don't dance on a volcano...
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1787 on: September 07, 2007, 11:44:59 AM »

obertray,re:#1807
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/04/30/070430fa_fact_lahr

Was just thinking of you this morning, as I picked up the pile of stuff that I knock over every day when I get out of bed. Like teddy174c, I have a collection of partially read The New Yorkers. This article was however fully read back in April. It seemed a definitive explication of how Morgan's mind works when writing for film. I had just seen The Last King of Scotland and could now more appreciate the rules Morgan plays by when writing The Queen that I probably saw in January, laughing at British jokes (including sight-gags) to the consternation of the audience that never understood what they call,"the English".  I think it is an hilarious film.  After seeing a few more photos taken of the Queen that had to be included in articles for the British press about a week ago, decided that, thank God, Helen Mirren actually looks nothing like The Queen today.  After all, I remember her from Peter Greenaway's:
The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover (1989).  As, the Wife.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1788 on: September 07, 2007, 11:54:44 AM »

kitinkaboodle,re:#1809

That's one Proof that I really missed. When somebody says Proof, I think of Gwyneth Paltrow,Anthony Hopkins, and was that Jake Gyllenhaal as the boyfriend? The David Auburn play adapted to film.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1789 on: September 07, 2007, 11:55:05 AM »

I can't believe it has been alomst a month since I have had time to "meander."

I think I've missed TV and Movies most of all...but wait... you were there and you were there...
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1790 on: September 07, 2007, 11:59:17 AM »

kitinkaboodle,re:#1809

That's one Proof that I really missed. When somebody says Proof, I think of Gwyneth Paltrow,Anthony Hopkins, and was that Jake Gyllenhaal as the boyfriend? The David Auburn play adapted to film.

Crowe's "Proof" is a quality flick. The other one fell short, but having seen the play on Broadway with the fabulous Mary Louise Parker (damn name dropper i can be) I are a bit biased.
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1791 on: September 07, 2007, 12:06:01 PM »

Of course Paltrow played the part on stage in London.
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1792 on: September 07, 2007, 12:08:32 PM »

Of course Paltrow played the part on stage in London.

Did not know that. Thankee.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1793 on: September 07, 2007, 12:21:48 PM »

Last two movies I've seen in the theater were both to appease others and I sat in both of them wondering when my pain would be over.

Actually both of them alternaqted between reasonably funny moments and long stretches of agony...

Superbad   and Mr Bean goes on vacation (or some such nonsense)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1794 on: September 07, 2007, 12:29:15 PM »

trojanhorse,
Don't worry. I haven't found anything to go to in a movie theater since,??? I did look up two things with a new trend in one word titles: War; and Once. Failed to catch my  interest.

Think I can hold out for the Burns version of WW2, after seeing the prevue last night for tv.
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1795 on: September 07, 2007, 12:35:57 PM »

trojanhorse,
Don't worry. I haven't found anything to go to in a movie theater since,??? I did look up two things with a new trend in one word titles: War; and Once. Failed to catch my  interest.

Think I can hold out for the Burns version of WW2, after seeing the prevue last night for tv.

"Talk to Me" is worthy.

Tired of war. May not even see the Burns project even though I'm a big fan of his stuff.

"Once"... have yet to see it. Maybe rent it someday.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1796 on: September 07, 2007, 12:36:08 PM »

trojanhorse,

I don't need Gone With The Wind really-- even a mildly well written romantic comedy is fine with me.  Just something that can hold my interest for 1-1/2 hours would be fine anymore...
obertray

« Reply #1797 on: September 07, 2007, 02:09:11 PM »

Thank you for mentioning The War.

I caught one ad for it and since then I've had it in the back of my mind that I still didn't know what this was going to be about.

I think that says something; that "The War" doesn't automatically mean WWII anymore (at least to me).

I just wasn't absolutely sure that this was about THAT The War. Maybe that means it's time for a Ken Burns Documentary about it?
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1798 on: September 07, 2007, 02:12:53 PM »

Ober, Ken Burns 14 (either 12 or 14, I'm not sure) hour documentary on WWII will be shown on PBS later this month.  Google for date.  And it is ALL about WWII.
law120b

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1799 on: September 07, 2007, 02:28:56 PM »

saw a terrific documentary last night on HBO on the making of deep throat.
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 302
  Print  

Jump to: