Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 21, 2018, 07:12:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 304
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies  (Read 53233 times)
obertray

« Reply #1800 on: September 07, 2007, 02:31:09 PM »

DNR,

Yes, thank you.

What I meant to convey however, was that when I first heard of it, it didn't strike me (like it used to have, back when there was only one THE war. Like there's only one, The City, far as I know.) as WWII.

I'm not entirely sure that I wasn't put off my game by color film clips in the ad, that would have gone against type (some of the scenes at the web site are colorfulish) http://www.pbs.org/thewar/video_clips.htm
obertray

« Reply #1801 on: September 07, 2007, 02:32:08 PM »

saw a terrific documentary last night on HBO on the making of deep throat.

That was a puff piece.

Badumbumptisssssch
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1802 on: September 07, 2007, 04:47:15 PM »

madupont, re #1808 or so...

I have not seen LA Confidential. And just for giggles, for some reason I get LA Confidential mixed up The Usual Suspects (which I have seen).  Hence the omission of Crowe from one of those lists.

They shot part of St. Elmo's Fire at one of my alma maters, the University of Maryland (College Park) campus; but somehow it doesn't seem to have the same cache as Princeton and A Beautiful Mind.

And -- if the gossip pages are to be believed, Christian Bale was a prima donna on the 3:10 to Yuma set, while Crowe was a pretty regular guy.   Of course, who knows who the source was and what their agenda might have been, so gotta take that stuff with a grain of salt.  And there's no law that says if you're a good actor, you have to be a good guy, either.

And and -- DeNiro and Pacino are shooting in Milford today, just down the street.   Okay, down the street about two miles.  The movie is Righteous Kill -- it also has Donnie Wahlberg, who has been sighted, and (supposedly) 50 Cent, who has not yet been sighted.
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1803 on: September 07, 2007, 04:49:01 PM »

... and Mr Bean goes on vacation (or some such nonsense)

I'll never be able to explain it, but for some reason I like Mr. Bean.  I liked the first movie a lot, and I will rent the 2nd one.  
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1804 on: September 07, 2007, 05:32:32 PM »

... and Mr Bean goes on vacation (or some such nonsense)

I'll never be able to explain it, but for some reason I like Mr. Bean.  I liked the first movie a lot, and I will rent the 2nd one.  

I think when I was younger I would have enjoyed it more.   As I said, I did laugh quite a few times...there were just other stretches where I wanted to get up and leave.  I just had a tough time with the lack of dialogue - a throw back to silent movie era for some I suppose.

I did like him in Johnny Dangerously or whatever it was called-- I think I am mixing up two movies, but he played the James Bond type character.  I enjoyed that one. 
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1805 on: September 07, 2007, 05:34:03 PM »

I think it probably has a lot to do with your fram of mind walking in to the theater.  I probably just didn;t want to be there in the first place because I had so much work to do at that time.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1806 on: September 07, 2007, 05:58:56 PM »

Thank you for mentioning The War.

I caught one ad for it and since then I've had it in the back of my mind that I still didn't know what this was going to be about.

I think that says something; that "The War" doesn't automatically mean WWII anymore (at least to me).

I just wasn't absolutely sure that this was about THAT The War. Maybe that means it's time for a Ken Burns Documentary about it?

I haven't heard anything about this movie.   What's the story?

Coincidentally, I had posted this in TV earlier today

------------------------------------

I kind of feel this way about  Band of Brothers

For any WWII movie buffs this is must watch TV ...still runs occassionally on cable.  but best to purchase the full set on DVD and devote a solid weekend to it.  You will be riveted.

For the curious, if you liked "Saving Private Ryan" you will most likely love this series.  If SPR was too much for you, then you might want to pass...
Bartlebythescribbler
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1807 on: September 07, 2007, 07:39:12 PM »

Trojan, you don't know cinema pain until you've sat through all 3 hours of Inland Empire.  Have you seen it yet?  Maybe I'll post my review from Troisieme Peeper over here and see if anyone wants to try explaining it without recourse to one of those "explanatory" web pages that pop up whenever someone rashly gives David Lynch money.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1808 on: September 07, 2007, 07:41:08 PM »

THE D'AMPTON WORM LYRICS (Lair of the White Worm)

From the annual party at D'Ampton Hall, performed by Emilio Perez Machado and Stephen Powys.

John D'Ampton went a-fishing once, a-fishing in the weir,
He caught a fish upon his hook he thought looked mighty queer,
Now what the kind of fish it was John D'Ampton couldn't tell,
But he didn't like the look of it, so he threw it down a well.

Now the worm got fat and growed, and growed an awful size,
With great big teeth and a great big mouth and great big goggle eyes,
And when at night it crawled about all looking for some booze,
It fit fell dry upon the road, it milked a dozen cows.

This fearful worm would often feed on cows and lamb and sheep,
And swallow little babes alive when they lay down to sleep,
So John set out and got the beast and cut it into halves,
And that soon stopped it eating babes and sheep and lambs and calves.

So now you know how all the folks on both sides of the weir,
Lost lots of sheep and lots of sleep and lived in mortal fear,
So drink the health of brave Sir John, who kept the babes from harm
Saved cows and calves by making halves of that famous D'Ampton Worm!

“Other people's obsessions
are more often funny than tragic.”
—Vincent Canby, The New York Times
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1809 on: September 07, 2007, 08:02:19 PM »

Trojan, you don't know cinema pain until you've sat through all 3 hours of Inland Empire. 

As PeeWee Herman once said,  "I don't have to watch it,  I lived it"

My wife grew up in the Inland Empire and i am forced to spend more than three hours there at least once a month...and you are DEAD on...

but seriously, no, I have not even heard of it before...
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1810 on: September 07, 2007, 08:08:08 PM »

whenever someone rashly gives David Lynch money.

Too funny.

One of the local radio stations here has David Lynch as the morning weather reporter.  He comes on and describes the weather from wherever he happens to be in the world that day and then gives his "thought for the day"   which is usually something like "enjoy a nice cup of coffee this morning."

then he doesn't say another word -- not where he is or what the weather might be like in So Cal that morning.  Of course there is always the chance that he might be in So California...

It, like David, is a little wierd...

TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1811 on: September 07, 2007, 08:09:15 PM »

Probably the biggest impact David Lynch had in movies (for me) was Blue Velvet

again...pretty wierd though...

the guy's childhood must have been really messed up...
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1812 on: September 07, 2007, 08:35:31 PM »

Oh I don't know, Eraserhead pretty much says it all...

Lovely decaying industrial park apartment...

Beautiful girlfriend...charming offspring from hell...

Coming home from work...what's in that tunnel?

And the chick nextdoor...what the fuck does she want?

My life is kinda like that...

Driving home from work thru dumpy Georgetown...

Dirty ratty industrial park under the I-5 freeway...

Down Airport Way East...

Boarded up old brick buildings...

Crummy old biker bars...

Gaunt overpass pylons...

Leaning rotting gone buildings...

Modern existence...depressing and real.

No other movie like it...

Love that guy's bouffant..

The story of my life...

A la Lynch

« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 08:42:45 PM by pugetopolis » Logged

“Other people's obsessions
are more often funny than tragic.”
—Vincent Canby, The New York Times
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1813 on: September 07, 2007, 10:28:59 PM »

harrie,re:#1808

The Usual Suspects  is one of my favourite  films. I stay on the Old Vic mailing list just because I was so proud of Kevin Spacey  taking over the directorship.  That's why you have the two films crossed in your mind; I do that quite often if there has been a lot of time intervening but, Spacey was, after all, in both movies

The funny thing about -- A beautiful mind, the people whom I would have expected to like as actors, and that means Plummer and Harris, I absolutely detested. I know, we are supposed to dislike them, but it seems to indicate over-acting to me when real actors suddenly become stage-villains. I have in fact begun to dislike Ed Harris as "everybody".

Whom I did like was Paul Bettany. I like him in everything that he does. (whom ever played the little girl appariion who accompanied him, is not a little girl in the credits; she is all grown up for "real movies" now.  I also like Austin Pendleton, as one of the professors, he always plays an offbeat role (like: I am confined to my wheel chair and I am a great genius. Let me teach you about the universe. ala Hawking).

This is in fact what Ron Howard got so right about the milieu.  He must have gone or had casting study the place for months. That was what the people are actually like at the University and in general among those who live there. I think that everyone of the classroom scenes, dormitory scenes, all social scenes, were right on the button.  And this is perhaps what was excruciating for the real John Nash and why Crowe's in-built faux pas(if  you will pardon my saying so; or, that as a description of a characteristic which he is very big on)produced the right amount of awkwardness because it is implied that Nash was a Southerner very much out of his league.

Not that being Southern by upbringing or attitude is strange because in fact Princeton is considered the town/community "closest in proximity to the South".  You could have knocked me over with a feather, after arriving in May, to discover that after Reunion Week was folded up for another year, there are no summer sessions of any kind whatsoever. Someone decided right from the beginning that the climate is much too hot for that sort of thing.  I found myself almost unable to make myself walk down the street the three or four long blocks to the local Health Store which had everything. Later on, after being unsuccessful at getting my flowers to be left unmowed, I decided, okay, if gardening is my conventional exercise regimen, I guess that I will have to go back to power-walking and really get to know this town from stem to stern. I did that nonstop for about five years but then added back to gardening with a community gardening location that I walked to and back as well as the sweat to produce edibles. The territory is very big on ground-hogs.

While doing this walking, one of the things you  notice, or first discover about this having been the furthest point north in the South, are these little shanties out in a the long back yards behind urban mansions. It was like Africa; for the family "servants". In fact, Princeton having seen all the action, is the one place where you notice these people didn't really want an American Revolution very much did they? It's mind-blowing.  In the Colonial period,my favourite statistic is: every New Jerseyean had two personal body-servants.  So my point about Russell Crowe's faux pas ability, Princeton is the place where you develop,"Anxiety crisis",big time.

Forget about the cache(or,is that cachet?), for a place where people buried the family silver in the front yard,under the monty python "shrubberies",until the Redcoats went away again and they could come home from Canada, as I recall the tuition per semester was $38,000, or perhaps that was the entire year, but this was 20 years ago; can you imagine what it is now?  But anyway, that was not why I was there.  So what was Maryland like from an outside point of view? I only glimpsed  Baltimore inner city through a car window, and with no bathroom in sight, nor the faintest idea how to get to Glen Burnie but I think that I already passed it and there was no turning back. I had to stop somewhere along the shore and eat the requisite Crab cakes, in order to get to the bathroom!

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1814 on: September 07, 2007, 10:34:21 PM »

Dzimas,

In order to look up the complete cast of A Beautiful Mind, which went on and on(as I did),I discovered that one of the cast members playing a student, has done a movie called Neal Cassady,2007.  Ever heard of it?

"The story of what happened to Neal Cassady after Jack Kerouac's "On The Road" came out. Deals primarily with Neal's relationship to his fictional alter-ego, Dean Moriarty."

Director whom I've never heard of before.
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 304
  Print  

Jump to: